PDA

View Full Version : Even After Death...

monfoodoo
12-21-2005, 11:23 PM
..They Serve
A guy came in with the tattoo shop with this subject on paper.Did it as a tattoo on his back shoulder and thought it would be cool to do it in LW.
The picture he had was in his dresser for a couple of years so this is what i got out of.Couldn't find it on the internet any where. "SEMPER FI!"

I wasn't in the armed froces,but i was in the Mekong Delta puttin vinyl tops on rattlesnake heads. Scott

There is a Update image below

geothefaust
12-21-2005, 11:39 PM
I really like that. :) I wasn't in the Marines, but I was in the Army (Infantry), which only makes me appreciate it more.

MooseDog
12-22-2005, 03:43 AM
i was neither, that's just a cool image. i bet the tat was great looking too. wires?

adrian
12-22-2005, 05:26 AM
That's a really cool render. Would look quite creepy animated :)

Adrian.

iggy21
12-22-2005, 07:36 AM
The hand with the glove looks amazing.. (but something seems slightly wrong,.. maybe just me... could be the thumb?)

Excellent work

monfoodoo
12-22-2005, 10:23 AM
I had touble getting the hand pose right.Looked at a lot of images and took photos of a guys hand at work.It's close but i think your right about the thumb.scott

DrTWT
12-22-2005, 09:47 PM
Nice image.

I might mention that his vertebrae (neck bones) are backwards. The rounded part (vertebral bodies) should be in the front (anterior), the linear projections (spinous processes) should face back (posterior).

:)

monfoodoo
12-22-2005, 10:19 PM
It's always somthing,ain't it. Thanks.! scott

DrTWT
12-22-2005, 11:04 PM
maybe that's why he died???

prospector
12-23-2005, 02:59 AM
I was and that hat would never make it, the brim needs much more spit and polish :)
Also when I was in (the late 60's) our gloves were all white cotton, those look plasticy
nice pic tho
Semper Fi

loki74
12-23-2005, 06:10 PM
I had touble getting the hand pose right.Looked at a lot of images and took photos of a guys hand at work.It's close but i think your right about the thumb.scott

I think what it is is that (it seems to me) there are very few cases where someone holds a sword perfectly vertically... seems to me that if he had a firm grip on it, it would be leaning somwhat towards him, and I think the thumb should be down.

But I gotta say--the cloth for the glove.. VERY well done. Even the hat and other stuff. At first sight it seems very simple, but there are a lot of nice details which i like. Great work :thumbsup:

Silkrooster
12-23-2005, 07:09 PM
I love this image. It makes me feel like the person who died, was extremely proud to serve for our country.
Silk

Kora
12-24-2005, 11:59 AM
:thumbsup:
Great work!
concerning the thumb.... I guess it'd look better and more "realistic", if his hand in glove wasn't that fleshy.... I'd personally made bony hand and used Motion Designer to make glowe fit it... but living hand with old skull could really give you an intuitive impression of "wrongness" even with ultimate modelling :)

monfoodoo
12-26-2005, 04:18 PM
Now i see that the hat brim spec is not sharp enough(thanks for pointing that out).i know that visor is like a mirror.
As for the glove,i tried using bones and weight maps but it just wouldn't bend right,so i modeled it in position.I'll try to get a more cloth effect to it also.
I would suspect vertical alignment on the sword would be the Marine way,but i would let a Marine answer that.(i was copying the picture i had,let me know if it should be otherwise)

I,m in Florida for the week,when i get home(maryland) i,ll make some adjustments and repost.
Thanks for all the input! Scott

monfoodoo
12-31-2005, 07:17 AM
Update #1. scott

5had0w
12-31-2005, 07:51 AM
The neck bones are diferent. It's really cool! :thumbsup: It may have sentimental value to some people :)

DrTWT
01-03-2006, 08:06 AM
Looking good Scott-- I just sent you a PM...

Todd

monfoodoo
01-03-2006, 09:12 AM
Thank you!

aksting
01-04-2006, 12:26 AM
I was in the Marine Corps. Just to let you know, the dress blues jacket is actually black with scarlet trim not blue. The pants, however are blue. The sword that he is holding is an Officers sword. The NCO sword has a brass hand guard and leather handle. I see some silver parts in the Eagle Globe and Anchor which are what Officers would wear.

Having said that, This image gives me chills and brings back some good memories. I appreciate all the work you have put into the details. Keep up the good work.

monfoodoo
01-04-2006, 12:56 AM
WOW! Iwish you were there when i started this.i really couldn,t find out much on the internet. If i can ,i,ll go to the source for my references for a model,but i don,t know any Marines.So i did the best i could.
So,Thanks!

HOORAA!! Gotta love a freedom fighter.
scott