PDA

View Full Version : What do you think?

stoehr
05-12-2003, 12:34 AM
Composited this together today. Played with colors, and lights. Just trying to get the two images together. The background is modeled and rendered in Lightwave. The textures of the background are completely procedural.
http://www.theladyandthelion.com/forumPosts/trollComposite_10.jpg
http://www.theladyandthelion.com/forumPosts/originalBack.jpg
http://www.theladyandthelion.com/forumPosts/originalFront.jpg

WizCraker
05-12-2003, 01:25 AM
ooo nice. Did you do this with Aura 2.5? Is it easy to use? I have Aura DV and it seems strange to work with, plus the lack of tutorials make it difficult to work with.

rabid pitbull
05-12-2003, 08:10 AM
Quite nice ent! The image is a little strange looking though, I think that the ent's textures are too crisp in contrast to the background.

I wonder if more explaination on the background is possible. All procedural, that is amazing(hypervoxels?). So were all the textures done in aura then? Composited in aura too? I think that is the limit of aura here, or am I missing something? The ent is a model isn't it?

wizcracker does aura dv come with any type of manual, maybe a pdf? That is were i have gotten all my aura knowledge. Most of the tutorials(small handful) are focused on editing animations, and admittedly i hevent done much there. The aura manual is very comprehensive imho covers the tools very well with good examples.

stoehr
05-12-2003, 09:22 AM
Hey Rapid Pitbull, stop spreading rumors about my character. It's a troll, not an ent. ;)

The background was modeled and rendered in Lightwave. Also, it was textured in lightwave using native Lightwave procedurals and IFW2 shaders.

The foreground creature was modeled and rendered in Lightwave as well, but all of its maps were painted in Aura 2.5b.

I then composited the two renders together with Aura, and did some color adjustments and some blur on the background to bring everything together.

rabid pitbull
05-12-2003, 10:19 AM
oops... sorry about that. the bad thing is i have actually seen that troll in your tutorial using the lw viewer. :o

Hey what are ifw2 shaders? are those darktree procedurals?

stoehr
05-12-2003, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by rabid pitbull
oops... sorry about that. the bad thing is i have actually seen that troll in your tutorial using the lw viewer. :o

Hey what are ifw2 shaders? are those darktree procedurals?

No there not Dark Tree, there developed by Richard Jennings (if I'm remembering his name correctly). www.shaders.org

It's an amazing amout of shaders, that can be used anywhere in there is a "T" button in Lightwave.

WizCraker
05-13-2003, 11:52 PM
wizcracker does aura dv come with any type of manual, maybe a pdf? That is were i have gotten all my aura knowledge. Most of the tutorials(small handful) are focused on editing animations, and admittedly i hevent done much there. The aura manual is very comprehensive imho covers the tools very well with good examples.

There is a PDF start guide of 6 lesons on basic features, but nothing to exciting. Maybe because it is a limited version of Aura it can only do that much [it is limited to DV NTSC or PAL size]. Maybe I'll have to wait till I get VT[3] later this year.

Just looked at the composite again and Wow it is so clean and crisp. Wouldn't want to meet that troll in a dark forrest. :)

WizCraker
05-13-2003, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by stoehr
No there not Dark Tree, there developed by Richard Jennings (if I'm remembering his name correctly). www.shaders.org

It's an amazing amout of shaders, that can be used anywhere in there is a "T" button in Lightwave.

What a deal only $89 for all those textures.

banshee
05-14-2003, 11:02 AM
Absolutely phenominal. From concept to creation.
I originaly saw this a while back in the gallery and did not see any updates until I went sniffin' around the other forums.
Highly inspirational and motivational, including your web. Thank you.

stoehr
05-14-2003, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by banshee
Absolutely phenominal. From concept to creation.
I originaly saw this a while back in the gallery and did not see any updates until I went sniffin' around the other forums.
Highly inspirational and motivational, including your web. Thank you.

No, thank you!

colkai
05-16-2003, 07:03 AM
Yeah, it is limited ..but....
I found this little gem a while back. When it says "load an image" it means load a project, but select a single image. Works fine!

Aura DV is limited to video resolutions from the startup options BUT if you load a project that is bigger than DV res it will happily accomodate it. So if you want to paint in 1280 x 1024, just load a 1280 x 1024 image first, hit the skull and crossbones to clear the image and off you go!

Not sure if it was an oversight, but useful.
I must admit, I'd been thinking about doing my textures in AuraDV, but everyone raves over Photoshop so I didn't know how useful AuraDV would be - A couple of good tutorials on this sort of thing would be very useful.
Then I could stick to all Newtek products for my work!:D