PDA

View Full Version : LightWave v9 Status Update from Jay Roth - 12/21/05

Chuck
12-21-2005, 11:34 AM
Dear LightWavers,

We are now at the end of the year 2005, and it has been a great year for LightWave. The new team is well entrenched and committed to making LightWave the innovative 3D package you expect. With each release this year, LightWave has gotten better and better. We know that you demand a rock-solid, outstanding LightWave, and so do we, as we have demonstrated with LightWave v8.3 and v8.5. In addition to adding some cool new features, we have done a great job at stomping many of the older bugs that haven’t been addressed in years.

In the spirit of demanding that LightWave be ready for prime time, I have to inform you that LightWave v9 is not up to our standards for delivery, just yet. The LightWave beta team has been fantastic, championing the cause for a better product and workflow, and helping us to resolve many long term issues. We still have a couple of key elements that need to be addressed before we can release and many bugs yet to kill. NewTek wants this version of LightWave to be the best ever, and we need more time.

So, what does this all mean? It means that LightWave v9 will be shipping in early 2006. Does that mean that you will have to wait a long time before you can use LightWave v9? In a word… no.

We are putting the finishing touches on a public beta program for LightWave v9 that will be open to any customer eligible for an upgrade to 9. As we are effectively in the holiday season now, we will not be starting this program until after the first of the year. Eligible participants will be receiving information about participating in the plan soon. LightWave v9 has some big changes under the hood and we want to make sure that we get everything right before we release the final product. We believe that the public beta program will not only be a great way to ensure that we ship a quality product, but will also allow us to give you an early look at the great new features and improvements in LightWave v9.

Thank you for your commitment to LightWave and your continued support. Please rest assured that the commitment and support runs both ways… we are continuing to innovate, develop and support LightWave to bring you the best possible 3D program on the market.

Best wishes for a great holiday and a Happy New Year from all of us on the LightWave team.

Jay Roth
President
NewTek 3D Division

==

BazC
12-21-2005, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the information, I applaud both the decision not to release until LW9 is a solid product and also the public beta programme which will give us the oportunity to play with all the new toys, excellent news! - Baz

Dodgy
12-21-2005, 11:41 AM
Oh well, merry Christmas everyone!

Tiger
12-21-2005, 11:53 AM
Oh that`s nice with a beta :)
HAPPY NEW YEAR 2006 TO EVERYONE

kennez
12-21-2005, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the update. Looking forward to the beta!

colkai
12-21-2005, 12:32 PM
Aye, I think most of us expected the release to be pushed back, of course, we now will endure the multitude of threads complaining about slipped release dates etc..etc..etc..

For all folks were not impressed with the LW6 release, I for one was glad of the public beta phase of it and I think this is a good step for those wanting to help Newtek make the next LW release a more robust one for "the general public".

Happy holidays to y'all and we await the news in the new year.

Wonderpup
12-21-2005, 01:33 PM
Actualy colkai I think you're wrong there- I can't recall a single post in fact where people were complaining 9 was going to be late- quite impressive really.

A number of people, including my self, complained about lack of communication, but thats been dealt with. The only thing i would take issue with now is the abscence of a confirmed feature list, but I guess that may not yet be set in stone, so again I'm happy to wait.

tischbein3
12-21-2005, 02:57 PM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Public beta is good.

Happy Christmas to all :santa:

colkai
12-21-2005, 04:13 PM
Actualy colkai I think you're wrong there- I can't recall a single post in fact where people were complaining 9 was going to be late
Heh, trust me, they're out there ;)

The only thing i would take issue with now is the abscence of a confirmed feature list, but I guess that may not yet be set in stone, so again I'm happy to wait.
Yes, I am somewhat of an optimist and like to believe what we have seen is a preliminary list and is not an exhaustive list of what we may yet get in LW9. :D

zapper1998
12-21-2005, 05:47 PM
ok doky

:lwicon: :lwicon: :lwicon: :lwicon:

Celshader
12-21-2005, 05:54 PM
Yes, I am somewhat of an optimist and like to believe what we have seen is a preliminary list and is not an exhaustive list of what we may yet get in LW9. :D

At the LA LW User's Group meeting last month, Jay Roth said the preliminary feature (http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/lw9featureprelim.php) list is a 9.0 list. Still more will come out for LightWave during the 9.x cycle, just as more stuff came out for LW during the 8.x cycle. :thumbsup:

newlands
12-21-2005, 06:41 PM
Thank you Chuck. I am glad to see NewTek is doing things the right way by keeping the customers informed. I wish more companies would do this.

I am relatively new to lightwave and the users here are very talented and helpful.

Wohoo :beta:

Merry Christmas people and Happy New Year.

Bytehawk
12-21-2005, 07:04 PM
cool !

y'all have a great christmas,
hope to hear from you soon.

mattclary
12-21-2005, 07:43 PM
Ah! A masterful tactical move! Has someone at NewTek been reading Sun Tzu? ;) You give bad news and yet make a LOT of people happy with the public beta announcement.

geothefaust
12-21-2005, 08:15 PM
Well, that sounds good to me! Thanks Chuck. :)

Happy Festivus, everyone! :beerchug:

Edit: Woops, I should have taken the chance to use this emoticon... :beta:

It doesn't get any better.

colkai
12-22-2005, 02:13 AM
At the LA LW User's Group meeting last month, Jay Roth said the preliminary feature (http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/lw9featureprelim.php) list is a 9.0 list. Still more will come out for LightWave during the 9.x cycle, just as more stuff came out for LW during the 8.x cycle.
Picture little old, (and I DO mean old :p) Colkai doin' the happy dance. :D

badllarma
12-22-2005, 02:35 AM
Ah! A masterful tactical move! Has someone at NewTek been reading Sun Tzu? ;) You give bad news and yet make a LOT of people happy with the public beta announcement.

Yup this what I though as well, to be honest I'm not impressed at ALL :thumbsdow

Late is late is late sorry guys to be negative but once again a deadline is missed no supprise really as we have been told nothing until a few days when it SHOULD have been released

Imagine being late in delivering a project twice to the same client, my guess is it would be your last with that client. :twak:

Not impressed my money would have been better in the bank the last few months. I think Newtek should start posting more realistic time frames for the next major release.
And I hope they will listen to what the beta testers find................

Celshader
12-22-2005, 02:51 AM
...my money would have been better in the bank the last few months.

For me, the pre-order special offered great value. I plan to learn my free copy of Vue while waiting for LW9. :santa:

Bog
12-22-2005, 02:57 AM
Seems like the best possible compromise to me.

The only reason NT would have pushed it back would be having too many "Oh Noes!" moments when they realise subsystem A and subsystem B work fine on their own, but together they either react hypergolically or send subsystem C into conniptions. With a complex program, it's very difficult to schedule for that. Some companies just release as-is, and blithely punt out patch after patch. More adult ones wait until the product is Good before releasing it.

So... kudos.

Traveler
12-22-2005, 04:53 AM
For me, the pre-order special offered great value. I plan to learn my free copy of Vue while waiting for LW9. :santa:

:agree: These tutorials (http://www.e-onsoftware.com/support/tutorials/) make it seem so easy, can't wait to give it a try. As for the [9] delay, I'm good with that too. Thanks for the info.

tonybliss
12-22-2005, 05:16 AM
Quote on Bog
"More adult ones wait until the product is good before releasing it."

I have been thinking this ever since I saw people bickering about releasing a 'buggy' software on time ... etc
This is childish and spoilt!
As i posted in the 'i got an email' thread studios have their workflow set with current features and plugins tied to the current version. The transition from one full version to another is usually a minor dent in the workflow of a studio - Learning new methodologies, etc.

JamesCurtis
12-22-2005, 03:06 PM
The fact that the official release of LW9 has been delayed, Even though the public beata will be made available to all LW9 pre-orders, I wonder if that means that the Vue 5 Infinite deal will be extended until the actual release?
Just wondering 'cause I haven't pre-ordered yet but should be able to after Chistmas with money from the holiday.

Any idea?

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year folks!

Wonderpup
12-22-2005, 03:20 PM
Hi James,

If the release of 8 is anything to go by you should be ok- the dfx+ deal was extended for about six months!

gordonrobb
01-16-2006, 07:54 AM
I have preordered, but have not been invited to be part of the Beta. What do I do?

mattclary
01-16-2006, 08:00 AM
I have preordered, but have not been invited to be part of the Beta. What do I do?

You wait. No one has been invited yet, they aren't ready.

gordonrobb
01-16-2006, 08:11 AM
There's a guy over on one of the other forums who is already on the beta. I have asked him. Just wanted to find out from you guys.

CAClark
01-16-2006, 08:44 AM
My guess is the 'pre-orderers' beta will be like the beta I did for 8.5, where it's just like 1 or 2 weeks from being signed off as complete.... not the proper full on beta testing that certain people & studios do.

For my opinion, I think newtek need to re-evaluate the beta process, and have a much more dedicated team to do REAL beta testing, as historically some amazing bugs get through everytime, and the who idea of edging towards a public beta is a bad idea I think.

Cheers!