PDA

View Full Version : so when we get the next batch of video's?

KillMe
12-21-2005, 11:41 AM
all in the title and i'm impatient - i wanna see edge weighting & node based shading

Carm3D
12-21-2005, 12:26 PM
I made this playing with Vue; exporting a tree to .lwo

http://www.carm3d.net/LW9Trees.JPG

Chris S. (Fez)
12-21-2005, 12:41 PM
hehe. Cool Carm.

I am outrageously impatient to see weighted edges and nodal, but given the acidic response to the first batch, I wouldn't blame Newtek for bagging the videos.

Chris S. (Fez)
12-21-2005, 12:44 PM
Check your in box boys! Lightwave 9 is officially delayed. Oh well, nice to know we can relax.

Carm3D
12-21-2005, 02:02 PM
What more is there to say?

http://www.carm3d.net/LW9Edges.JPG

Wonderpup
12-21-2005, 02:23 PM
If they do put out more videos, they need to do it big- not dribbling out bits and pieces, but a large scale impressive presentation.

And please, no more interface tweaks- I'm trying to promote Lightwave as a credible product here and newtek are pulling the rug out!- I'm still trying to live down null builder.

cc3d
12-21-2005, 04:17 PM
will send shivers down your spine

Titus
12-21-2005, 06:41 PM
Working on it

Tiger
12-22-2005, 08:21 AM
:) :) :)

AbnRanger
12-22-2005, 11:20 PM
will send shivers down your spine
Before you finish coifing all the chest hair on your new Chuck Norris game model....they'll be there waiting on you. :D

CB_3D
12-23-2005, 01:05 AM
Violence should solve this.

CB_3D
12-23-2005, 05:10 AM
Ha, if we had more vids i wouldnīt find this horrible stuff.

Tiger
12-23-2005, 08:34 AM
In recognition of Christmas, NewTek offices will be closed from
Thursday, December 22nd to Tuesday, December 27th.

Happy Holiday! :)

lw3d23
12-23-2005, 09:25 AM
Any video for this weekend? :confused:

Tiger
12-23-2005, 09:51 AM
Don`t think so :)

lw3d23
12-24-2005, 04:59 PM
still no reply from newtek :stumped:

Carm3D
12-24-2005, 07:50 PM
NewTek is on holiday right now.

lw3d23
12-24-2005, 08:19 PM
NewTek is on holiday right now.

I thought they videos in advance and showing us every week. :)

Emmanuel
12-27-2005, 10:12 AM
The Rock says:

First LW9, then holidays.Anybody argue !?

ufo3d
01-02-2006, 03:45 PM
OK, it is q1 2006 now, any hints that when we get the next batch of video?

Mipmap
01-02-2006, 07:26 PM
I'd like to see a batch of videos showing real character animation tools. I've been sick ever since I bought that Jeff Lew character animation DVD that shows you all the basic concepts of character animation in 3D programs, where he's using a $300(!) program and is able to so easily animate to and from very dynamic poses so easily. He just clicks ends of bones, like elbows and knees, and can move them without making the wrist or ankle go anyplace.

ercaxus
01-03-2006, 02:40 AM
I'd like to see a batch of videos showing real character animation tools. I've been sick ever since I bought that Jeff Lew character animation DVD that shows you all the basic concepts of character animation in 3D programs, where he's using a $300(!) program and is able to so easily animate to and from very dynamic poses so easily. He just clicks ends of bones, like elbows and knees, and can move them without making the wrist or ankle go anyplace.
I think eventually IK Booster is going to evolve into something like that (it kinda is) or it will seamlessly merge with the native IK / FK system of :lwicon: We are almost there. :thumbsup:

Tiger
01-03-2006, 03:04 AM
I thought they videos in advance and showing us every week. :)

How can they show something which is not even finished ? :hey:
All the videos will show up just like it did with Lw.8.0.

-EsHrA-
01-03-2006, 07:40 AM
How can they show something which is not even finished ? :hey:
All the videos will show up just like it did with Lw.8.0.

it should be finished, they're in beta stage squashing bugs,
so videos should be doable i guess.

mlon

Nemoid
01-03-2006, 07:57 AM
Yep I think its time for a new bunch of videos showing new Lw 9.0 stuff !!
:agree: with myself :D

BazC
01-03-2006, 08:02 AM
I'm guessing they're being cautious about releasing new videos after the less than enthusiastic reception for the last bunch! :(

zapper1998
01-03-2006, 08:15 AM
this is one funny thread,

ROFL

:lol:

pooby
01-03-2006, 08:50 AM
I'm guessing they're being cautious about releasing new videos after the less than enthusiastic reception for the last bunch!

It's not like we thought they were BAD.. just not demonstrating the good stuff yet. I think it was undersetimated how much people were anticipating seeing something..
it was a bit like

Ladies and gentlemen After the long wait for 9.. we proudly bring you.....

drumroll.......
A slightly different way of making a null

clap......clap .................. clap

Chris S. (Fez)
01-03-2006, 08:59 AM
Forget the vids and just post the frickin Beta already :D .

Tiger
01-03-2006, 09:59 AM
:agree: :D

Wickster
01-03-2006, 05:30 PM
Proton! Chuck! Kurtis!
Have mercy on us please! Save us from insanity!!! Release them videos!!!! :screwy:

Tiger
01-03-2006, 05:57 PM
Hey man...I`m not insane :devil:
Just because I called my local videostore and asked politely about
the Lw 9 videos doesnt mean Iīm crazy...does it ? :devil:

:D

iaef
01-03-2006, 06:10 PM
Proton! Chuck! Kurtis!
Have mercy on us please! Save us from insanity!!! Release them videos!!!! :screwy:

I noticed you didnīt mentioned:
Dasher! Dancer! Prancer! Vixen! Comet! Cupid! Donner! Blitzen!

My guess is that we will see lots of videos from LW9 once they get the beta test out. :) I am thinking of somebody showing some nice things like hypervoxels and bones, while the others yell those are not new features... madness is madness and insanity... well, thatīs another history. :D

Chris S. (Fez)
01-04-2006, 06:38 PM
Lightwave forums elsewhere are filled with Doom n' Gloom. I don't understand how people can condemn software that has yet to be released!

Celshader
01-04-2006, 07:01 PM
Lightwave forums elsewhere are filled with Doom n' Gloom. I don't understand how people can condemn software that has yet to be released!

It's a time-honored tradition. I've heard folks badmouthing LightWave since I started learning it in 1997.

Wonderpup
01-05-2006, 07:24 AM
I think the root of it is insecurity- the whole 3D thing moves so fast that people get paranoid about being left behind. So when package X releases some cool new feature, CD4's hair, for example, I find myself looking at it and thinking I really can't live without it- even though I have yet to need hair for a single job!

I'm trying to train myself not to think this way- otherwise I'll end up with a warehouse full of software I'll hardly ever use.

Verlon
01-05-2006, 03:21 PM
The whole state of Texas is caught up in the Rose Bowl hooplah. There is a motion in the state congress to move New Year's Day in honor of the Texas National Championship. Life in the football belt....

I am sure the vids will start flowing after the queso is dug out of the keyboards....and everyone sobers up.

Nemoid
01-06-2006, 03:04 AM
It's not like we thought they were BAD.. just not demonstrating the good stuff yet. I think it was undersetimated how much people were anticipating seeing something..
it was a bit like

Ladies and gentlemen After the long wait for 9.. we proudly bring you.....

drumroll.......
A slightly different way of making a null

clap......clap .................. clap

HAHA LOL ...

I agree on that. Lw 9.0 has surely features to be shown in cool videos.

Many users are waiting for them, to be reassured a bit about this new release.
Proton's good vids showed only a little sneak peak of upcoming features, which indeed change the workflow, but at the same time aren't enough.

Some cool things were showed in Siggraph vids tho..but the truth is.. we wanna see more !!! :) :lwicon: :)

Gui Lo
01-06-2006, 05:45 AM
The vids are fine for me.

Siggraph had cool stuff and I would have been disapointed if they showed those features again. As it is the vids show that the new features span accross the whole of lightwave and not just the big wow stuff.

Gui Lo

Wonderpup
01-06-2006, 06:03 AM
I don't think it's unreasonable at this point to want to see a bit more detail than was shown at Siggraph- for instance it would have been nice to see an example of weighting in the edges demo.

Gui Lo
01-06-2006, 07:33 AM
No, it is not unreasonable but then again they must start somewhere. I mean I would never guess they would allow such control over the display of a null. It has been confusing in the past and I was glad to see the vid.

Are they going to insist all public beta testers sign an NDA?
If not then I think there will be the kind of detail you want. As it is Proton seems to like the little things that releive users annoyance.

BazC
01-06-2006, 08:16 AM
Are they going to insist all public beta testers sign an NDA?

Yup, that was stated somewhere in the thread that announced the public beta if I remember rightly. - Baz

SaturnX
01-06-2006, 12:01 PM
I'll give you a lw9 demo, YOU WONT BELIEVE !
... well, ok... a lw demo of sorts... heh

BSG is back on the box tonight, (scifi)... part 2 of Pegasus... COOL !

... "you will know what to do... "

:thumbsup:

Gui Lo
01-06-2006, 09:59 PM
Yup, that was stated somewhere in the thread that announced the public beta if I remember rightly. - Baz

I see "Eligible participants will be receiving information about participating in the plan soon".

But where does it mention an NDA?

geothefaust
01-06-2006, 10:34 PM
I'll give you a lw9 demo, YOU WONT BELIEVE !
... well, ok... a lw demo of sorts... heh

BSG is back on the box tonight, (scifi)... part 2 of Pegasus... COOL !

... "you will know what to do... "

:thumbsup:

You know it, I'm still waiting for it to come on... 1h 25m to go... *tick... tick... tick....*

BazC
01-07-2006, 05:43 AM
I see "Eligible participants will be receiving information about participating in the plan soon".

But where does it mention an NDA?

LOL I can't even find the thread now but someone asked if beta testers would be subject to NDA and I think it was Chuck said yes.

romrom74
01-07-2006, 05:47 AM
getting paranoid: maybe it has already begun and we're not aware of it cause of NDA?

Thor Simpson
01-07-2006, 09:38 AM
LOL I can't even find the thread now but someone asked if beta testers would be subject to NDA and I think it was Chuck said yes.
You know, I remember the exact same thing... but my searches turn up nothing.

Thor Simpson
01-07-2006, 09:43 AM
Okay, here we go:
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=323762#post323762

Is the open beta subject to NDA's?

Yes, that is the case.

Guess we need to search for NDA's not NDA :)

BazC
01-07-2006, 03:42 PM
Thanks Thor!

KillMe
01-07-2006, 06:00 PM
ahhhhhh no mass discussion on the forums =/ ****

Earl
01-07-2006, 09:15 PM
ahhhhhh no mass discussion on the forums =/ ****
Well I think they were going to have a dedicated, private forum for all beta testers.

Panikos
01-07-2006, 09:23 PM
Nah, just a thread for LW9 bugs.
Public means that "its out and we will fix it, no hidden boolsheet"

Mass feedback helps in finding/confirming more bugs very fast.
The fight is fixing them :agree:

By now the "fat bugs and major development" is straightned.
8~ :newtek:

Its all my personal assumptions, so dont blame me.
Its what I think is reasonable :bump:

KillMe
01-07-2006, 09:43 PM
so where do the beta testers go OMG!!!!!!!!! make cool mesh tool is frgging awesome threads go :D

Yog
01-08-2006, 05:38 AM
Nah, just a thread for LW9 bugs.
Public means that "its out and we will fix it, no hidden boolsheet"

Mass feedback helps in finding/confirming more bugs very fast.
The fight is fixing them :agree:
I'm trying to remember how the semi-open beta for LW-6 was handled.
We were under NDA, but nothing was signed. There was a deadicated mailing list for communication, but I don't remember a seperate forum area, if there was, it certainly wasn't open to public viewing. There were masses of bugs found, unfortunately not all of them could be fixed prior to release.

Gui Lo
01-08-2006, 11:54 AM
Okay, here we go:
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=323762#post323762

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McRae
Is the open beta subject to NDA's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
Yes, that is the case.

Guess we need to search for NDA's not NDA :)

oh, well.

Never mind, eh

Panikos
01-08-2006, 01:01 PM
I'm trying to remember how the semi-open beta for LW-6 was handled.
We were under NDA, but nothing was signed. There was a deadicated mailing list for communication, but I don't remember a seperate forum area, if there was, it certainly wasn't open to public viewing. There were masses of bugs found, unfortunately not all of them could be fixed prior to release.

People tend to use the forums than the mail-lists lately.
There is no NDA cause "everything" is disclosed.

Yog
01-09-2006, 07:56 AM
People tend to use the forums than the mail-lists lately.
There is no NDA cause "everything" is disclosed.I would be surprised if the open beta was totally open to the forum in general. As Chuck posted elsewhere, the NT team are still (at the time of his post) working to get LW9 to a position where it is fit to beta test, this would suggest there are still a lot of bugs to squash.
I can't imagine any company being happy with post after post on an open forum that says "it's still broke, when are you going to fix it ?", "Major bug here", "Crashes every time ...", "Completely unuseable". These are all things that will crop up time and again during any beta phase, yet you would not want to broadcast the fact to anyone who is considdering purchasing. It would be like going to a job interview and anouncing that your farts smell, everyone's farts smell, but there are certain times you would not like to broadcast the fact. Don't forget, this forum is NT's main shop window to the world, and shop windows are meant to feature the best of what you have to offer, not confuse the issue by listing what unfinished features still don't work.

ufo3d
01-09-2006, 01:15 PM
Could someone at Newtek tell us WHEN WE GET THE NEXT PATCH OF VIDEO??
:thumbsdow it's been taken so so long time since last batch of videos.:mad:
Is NT frightened after people comment about NULL and boolean demo?:rolleyes:

KillMe
01-09-2006, 04:06 PM
yup if we not getting the public beta any time soon then lets have some more videos

StereoMike
01-09-2006, 05:06 PM
And if we can't have some videos of lw9, than give us at least videos of the codemonkeys at work or of the coffee machine :D

I don't ask for much...

colkai
01-10-2006, 04:08 AM
And if we can't have some videos of lw9, than give us at least videos of the codemonkeys at work or of the coffee machine
Or of codemonkeys at the coffee machine :p
Heck, let's face it, being code monkeys, you just know they spend some time there. ;) Ohh, speaking of which, time for some coffee...

SaturnX
01-10-2006, 04:29 AM
They need to get their war helmets on... seriously.
Its time to hit the front lines newtek... hehe

Chris S. (Fez)
01-10-2006, 09:48 AM
I will never ****ing preorder from Newtek again...until the next time :thumbsup: .

Wickster
01-10-2006, 10:04 AM
I think Proton is just waiting for all the funny images we used to make. Cause this thread started to become more serious and less funny. :)

art
01-10-2006, 10:55 AM
Less serious post.

Gettarobox
01-10-2006, 09:31 PM
:chicken: I like everyone can't wait for LW 9 but I have recently thought of some good things if we get it later that sooner. well mainly, the more they are able to put into 9 the better because it will be free in the upgrade. I personally think that it would be awesome if they put the LWcad features in 9. i can't believe anyone would think otherwise. if you do think otherwise I have a question. Have you looked at LWcad? it is super cool. I would get it but i can't afford to shell out 200 bucks. anyway...

AbnRanger
01-10-2006, 09:55 PM
I think Proton is just waiting for all the funny images we used to make. Cause this thread started to become more serious and less funny. :)Blame this guy! Proton's frozen stiff with fear 8~ ...dag-gummit

AbnRanger
01-10-2006, 10:03 PM
EDIT:Kids ask the darndest things.... :D

Celshader
01-10-2006, 10:38 PM
Have you looked at LWcad? it is super cool. I would get it but i can't afford to shell out 200 bucks. anyway...

I won't buy LWCAD until the day I'm swamped with precision work. I only buy expensive software when I need it. :o

That said, I took advantage of the recent PICTRIX sale (http://www.pictrix.jp/lw/index5.html) and bought SP_Move2 (http://spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10225) for $10. It offers an awful lot of goodness for $10.

Chris S. (Fez)
01-11-2006, 10:26 PM
Please post fresh :lwicon: vids!

SplineGod
01-11-2006, 11:53 PM
EDIT:Kids ask the darndest things.... :D
ROFL! Too funny.....

Capt Lightwave
01-12-2006, 02:11 AM
Now, where could he be....

Chris S. (Fez)
01-14-2006, 12:01 AM
I am really at a loss as to why Newtek is unwilling to post more previews.

Wickster
01-14-2006, 02:01 AM
I am really at a loss as to why Newtek is unwilling to post more previews.
I think Proton don't mind posting more videos for us, in fact he probably has a stock pile of it on his machine. But by judging how he quickly stopped, I'm guessing it's a decision by NT management not to show more videos.

But this is just me speculating.

badllarma
01-14-2006, 03:39 AM
So not only is the product late but they cannot even be bothered to show us what our money has bought :thumbsdow

I'm quickly getting sick of Newteks inability to tell us what the **** is going on.
One things for sure it will have to be some sort of "extra" for me to update early again and put up with ANOTHER late delivery :mad:

StereoMike
01-14-2006, 04:07 AM
hehe,sure, but they do it all the time... this time you got Vue....an early excuse for the later delay

pooby
01-14-2006, 04:51 AM
You don't start then just stop showing vids.. It looks like you have no plan or strategy. Not telling people what's going on is so silly..
To keep loyalty now we need at LEAST a weekly update. Of course there are those that will have loyalty whatever you throw at them, but it's more sensible to listen to the more middle ground of generally disgruntled artists who wish to have news.

lardbros
01-14-2006, 05:00 AM
To be quite honest, the "no-show" is getting a bit slack. It's been a month since the last videos were posted and at the time i assumed it was going to be a weekly thing, where we may get another 6 videos on each friday (american time) or early saturday morning (english time).

BUT nope it didnt happen. I can understand that LW9 may be a while yet, but looking at the features list, there would be plenty to show us for a good month or three.

Ah well, i hope they spend the interest from my money wisely.

ufo3d
01-14-2006, 06:24 AM
what the h*ll is going on? they showed us several videos almost a month ago and said: more video will come... where are those videos? Did they make many video like null-video so they hold back? There would be a plenty of new feature and improvment to show us, why we got nothing in last few weeks? Nobody at NT could tell us the reason?

I don't want to offend NT, but let see the ex-LW team, their product could not be released in Q4, but they have been posting weekly update. And their customers are really happy about that. Be honestly, I heard some rumors about Br*d before so he did not make a good impression on me, but he really did some great jobs, and he knows how to serve their custmers.

unless the new features and improvments of LW9 are not the stuffs we expect, or they have some big problem , otherwise I really don't undertstand NT's strategy.
sorry for my poor english. I am not english native speaker.

Panikos
01-14-2006, 06:51 AM
There are 3 kinds of people.
a. Those who make things happening
b. Those who watch things happening
c. Those who wonder what is happening

Sorry couldnt resist :D

-EsHrA-
01-14-2006, 07:20 AM
consider me a c. for now.

mlon

colkai
01-14-2006, 07:41 AM
I think most folks are a 'C' about now. But in reality, as frustrated as we all are, Chuck hsa pretty much explained where they are at.
Also, lest we forget, Proton no longer works exclusively for Newtek now so my guess is he doesn't have the time or info at the present to do more videos.

A statement to that effect is all that's needed I think to calm many folks down, but I completely undrestand that folks get wound up when all you get is the whistle of the wind and the occasional tumbleweed blowing by.

I know Newtek have got a lot on their plate with the re-write, but I also am beginning to wonder if they shouldn't have someone to share the load when it comes to a public facing situation.

StereoMike
01-14-2006, 08:11 AM
Proton no longer works exclusively for Newtek

Did I miss anything? Can you explain?

Emmanuel
01-14-2006, 08:19 AM
Proton's teaching at DAVE school.

StereoMike
01-14-2006, 12:31 PM
I knew that, but he's teaching for some time now (I think).
It didn't hinder him in the past, so has he more to do now, or changed from part to full time? Anyway, sad.

colkai
01-14-2006, 01:43 PM
I was talking about DAVE school as Emmanuel says.
It could be they have things going on there which means he's not got time to do demo videos, which I don't think he's actually doing for a specific 'pattern', but rather as and when he can to show off what he's been shown in LW9.

Thor Simpson
01-14-2006, 02:03 PM
After the disprespect with which he was treated during the first movie batch, I wouldn't release another movie at all. It's not his responsibility.

I know many of us appreciated it, but sometimes the naysayers win out. Even if some people appreciate the effort, discouraging remarks can sure take the wind out of the sails. :(

Chris S. (Fez)
01-14-2006, 02:47 PM
The videos were not universally well received, but at least the 3D community at large was excited and/or curious to see what other coolness Newtek was working on.

Instead of learning from the lackluster response and taking the opportunity to wow us with the next batch, Newtek seemingly just scampered away with its tail between its legs.

lardbros
01-14-2006, 03:28 PM
I reckon Proton has just fainted after creating some incredible textures using the nodal surface editor, rendering was then 3-4 times quicker, and he just couldn't handle it... especially as it was character animation, which he set up bone weights and vertex maps within Layout, and had 3 different camera angles all rendered within the same view!!! :D :D

Capt Lightwave
01-14-2006, 04:33 PM
The videos were not universally well received...

Well, creating a Null object isn't exactly rocket science either...guess we expected something with a slightly higher coolness factor.

lesterfoster
01-14-2006, 04:47 PM
There are 3 kinds of people.
a. Those who make things happening
b. Those who watch things happening
c. Those who wonder what is happening

Sorry couldnt resist :D

I think that you forgot about the forth kind of person.

d. Those who complain about what is happening.

I try to avoid commenting about threads that have to do with politics. As some how I always manage to get my self in to trouble for doing so. But I could not resist.

AbnRanger
01-15-2006, 12:02 AM
Relax fellas', somebody's hard at it, and moving as fast as they can:

Chris S. (Fez)
01-15-2006, 10:11 AM
Wow! Slick video! :thumbsup:

CB_3D
01-15-2006, 10:56 AM
Hehehe, that was funny!

Capt Lightwave
01-15-2006, 02:40 PM
Ok, Newtek guys...here's your choice:

Either give us some more videos to drool over or give this little princess a big kiss...and that goes for ALL OF YOU! She's all ready ;)

lardbros
01-15-2006, 02:46 PM
WHOAH!! Jeeeeeesus!!

Reminds me of Ghost Busters, someone zap the ectoplasm!!

-EsHrA-
01-15-2006, 03:21 PM
omg i was just eatin :)

mlon

lardbros
01-15-2006, 04:05 PM
omg i was just eatin :)

mlon

So is she!

SaturnX
01-15-2006, 04:14 PM
hmmm...
She may make good reference material for bogus dynamics in post lw9.xx updates.
The elasticity is extraordinary... for a human.
We are witnessing the dawning of a new era in soft and gooey... fluid simulation.

... hmm, anyone ever seen that dr who story, the Green Death ? :D

hrgiger
01-15-2006, 07:39 PM
I hope we are at least going to get some new information this week. But I'm sure a lot of us would settle for some new videos on LW9 features.

loki74
01-16-2006, 02:05 AM
The elasticity is extraordinary... for a human.
We are witnessing the dawning of a new era in soft and gooey... fluid simulation.

haha lol... actually (iirc) using the Lattice-Boltzmann Method, high viscosities are actually faster to solve! :D as for viscoelasticity... well I've seen it done!

NEED MORE :lwicon: VIDS!! AAAAHHHH!!!

Wickster
01-17-2006, 09:19 PM
http://www.bmadigital.com/images/virge.jpg

SaturnX
01-19-2006, 03:42 PM
:d

Kurtis
01-19-2006, 06:56 PM
Personally, I was always partial to Soundwave. :thumbsup:

I can't give a definitive date for release right now, but we are working with William on a new set of videos for your perusal. As soon as they are completed, links to them will be posted in the LightWave 9.0 Demo Video List (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43942) thread, and in the Latest LightWave News section on the main page of http://www.LightWave3d.com.

Earl
01-19-2006, 07:43 PM
Thanks Kurtis! Glad to hear. There are a great many LW fans and prospective LW fans who are eager to see what you guys have been working so hard on. :thumbsup: :newtek:

Wickster
01-19-2006, 08:31 PM
HAHAHAHA!!!! I knew NT can't resist these pictures.
Thanks Kurtis! Glad you're feeling better.

Chris S. (Fez)
01-20-2006, 07:44 AM
Awesome! Thank you for the update, Kurtis!