PDA

View Full Version : Problem when trying to add detail to car :/

tomii.se
12-20-2005, 09:34 PM
I`ve been following the car tutorial on this site and right now I`m here

http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/modeling/car/index33.html

It`s the part where you add detail to the model by drilling out polygons to smooth shift.

I`ve done everything as it says in the tutorial, but I`m still having problems.
The thing is that when I`ve smooth shift and moves the polygons, the car looks wrecked!! (See pic below) even with subpaches on. Sometimes there`s cracks and holes in the door also :/

Does anyone know what I`m doing wrong? I have tried everything but nothing works :( please help.

colkai
12-21-2005, 03:37 AM
If you could post a wireframe it would be easier to figure. Also, check you don't have some sub-patches and some 'faces'. If so, whenever you hit TAB all you do is toggle some faces to sub-D's and turn off the current Sub-Ds
Also check for duplicate points, 1pt / 2pt polys. I tend to do a pts merge and unify polys just to be sure.

LABESTIA
12-21-2005, 09:27 AM
also check if you don't have two poligons where you think that there's only one, you can do that by lasso selecting and looking how many poligons are selected in the lower left corner of your workspace

tomii.se
12-21-2005, 10:39 AM
problem solved! but I'm embarrassed to say that the problem could have been avoided if I had read the tutorial better.

The solution was to lower the threshold to around 30 degrees...
But I can say for my defence that I made this car in school, and there we use the japanese version of LW, so everything is named differently.. ah well at least now I can finnish the car.

Thanks for the help everyone!