PDA

View Full Version : What is Mirage 1.5 good for?

Vincenzo
12-20-2005, 06:12 PM
SHarbor is offering Mirage 1.5 for only $389 to Lightwave users only. Does anyone have any experience with this app? What is it good for?

Thanks, Vincent Burnett

Titus
12-20-2005, 06:14 PM
It is a video paint program, something like photoshop but for video (multiple frames). I use this program for visual effects and a friend of mine for cartoon animation.

riki
12-20-2005, 07:01 PM
there's a cool feature for working with Lightwave UV maps

Jim_C
12-20-2005, 07:17 PM
Your best bet would be to poke around the Mirage site and forum. Also Mirage has a free downloadable demo.

http://www.bauhaussoftware.com/products_mirage_LP.php

It is a very powerful 2d paint/animation program. To basically requote somethign off their web page.... (shrug)

You should try the demo....

KSTAR
12-20-2005, 08:21 PM
No one mentioned it is also the big brother of Aura 2.5 Mirage has everything that Aura 2.5 has plus a lot more features and power. Bauhauss software took over a few years ago, and have taken Mirage to the next level. Definatley down load the demo and check out some of the tutorials. Its awesome software, and fits perfectly into a 3d/2d animators, or editors pipeline. :thumbsup:

Ivan
12-20-2005, 09:30 PM
Check out this thread:

Oasis and Toy Box (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43789)

Ivan

Vincenzo
12-21-2005, 10:28 PM
How does Mirage compare to other programs like AEs? How would you rate Mirage from 0-10 in the following functions:

1. Compositing.

2. LW texturing.

3. 2D image painting.

3. painting on videos.

4. How useful is rototracking?

5. effect creation.

Thanks for your time.

Vincent Burnett

Piolla
12-23-2005, 05:14 PM
Mirage is the best software to free hand drawing. Better than Painter and Photoshop. It really feels like pencil and paper. After Mirage, the paper in 2D Animation production is dead. No more animation discs, hole punchers, blue pencils and scanners. You can do it all in Mirage and no one would tell its all digital! And if, for some reason beyond my comprehension, you decide to use paper, you can allways use mirage to Scan, paint, edit and publish your Animation.

Hope you enjoy it!

Titus
12-23-2005, 06:16 PM
How does Mirage compare to other programs like AEs? How would you rate Mirage from 0-10 in the following functions:

1. Compositing.

2. LW texturing.

3. 2D image painting.

3. painting on videos.

4. How useful is rototracking?

5. effect creation.

Thanks for your time.

Vincent Burnett

First 3. Excellent.

Second 3. Excellent.

4. Tracking is good but not the best in town, for this task I use Combustion.

KSTAR
12-23-2005, 09:29 PM
I would have to agree with Titus. Although I have never used combustion so I have nothing compare Mirages Rototracking to. It has worked great for me when I have used it.

A couple of caveats

#3 painting on video phenomenal very easy very intuitive lots of options

#5 effect creation phenomenal one of the most overlooked aspects in my opinion a lot of people always look at Mirages 2d features which as mentioned earlier are second to none. The effects creation abilities are just as powerful. The FX stack is powerful and very flexible tool. Other cool options like the bulit in particle FX's, pixel tracking, video stablizer, and the list go's on make it a must have piece of software. Last but not least it integrates perfectly with the Video Toaster

Vincenzo
12-24-2005, 12:27 AM
Thanks for the info guys! I went and downloaded it and checked it out. Its features seem on par with Adobe after effects except that it has video paint and lightwave texturing stuff. Its also cheap for Lightwavers too. The only problem is that when I installed the demo, it said that my sentinel driver was old, I had a LW8 dongle connected to my machine at the time. Can a person have his or her LW and Mirage usb dongles in at the same time?

Thanks again and Merry Christmas,

Vincent Burnett

Aegis
12-24-2005, 05:47 AM
The only problem is that when I installed the demo, it said that my sentinel driver was old, I had a LW8 dongle connected to my machine at the time. Can a person have his or her LW and Mirage usb dongles in at the same time?

Yep - got Mirage and LightWave [8] running side-by-side here with no problems - you may want to update your sentinel drivers to the latest version at www.safenet-inc.com

ted
12-24-2005, 01:58 PM
A very important question for us would be...
How is it at importing/exporting to/from various formats, i.e. QT, .rtv, .wmv etc. And is it picky or screw up other applications drivers, codecs etc.
Thanks!

Piolla
12-26-2005, 02:15 PM
So far Mirage's I/O is compatible with most of today's standard formats. I have no complaints.

Cheers!

bluerider
12-27-2005, 05:39 AM
No one mentioned it is also the big brother of Aura 2.5 Mirage has everything that Aura 2.5 has plus a lot more features and power. Bauhauss software took over a few years ago, and have taken Mirage to the next level. Definatley down load the demo and check out some of the tutorials. Its awesome software, and fits perfectly into a 3d/2d animators, or editors pipeline. :thumbsup:

Aura was easier to use. Mirages "stacking" interface or "dialogue boxes" are a mess?

Although there are more features its a more complicated package to use.

I love the painting tools though, truely awesome in that department.

w_will
12-28-2005, 10:03 AM
I bought it when it first came out. It has cool features and I have seen people do great things with it. I personally hate the interface it is as hard or harder than Aura. If your looking to just sketch then try Alias's sketch book. I think Mirages key framing should be much simpler to use. If you not a big fan of reading the book and studying tutorials before you can use a program then the learning cure for Mirage will be too steep unless you have lots of Aura experience. As everyone else said try the demo for yourself, but if you find yourself thinking it should be a little more artist friendly your not alone. I really miss Deluxe Paint and my Amiga, so maybe I am spoiled.

KSTAR
12-28-2005, 11:18 AM
In regards to the stacking dialogue boxes or messy interface, I run a dual monitor system so its not an issue. Not a must for Mirage but if you can I would recomend it. It definately makes life easier. Mirage 2.0 should be coming real soon with new features and improvements, maybe interface changes are coming :question:

Piolla
12-28-2005, 01:54 PM
I bought it when it first came out. It has cool features and I have seen people do great things with it. I personally hate the interface it is as hard or harder than Aura. If your looking to just sketch then try Alias's sketch book. I think Mirages key framing should be much simpler to use. If you not a big fan of reading the book and studying tutorials before you can use a program then the learning cure for Mirage will be too steep unless you have lots of Aura experience. As everyone else said try the demo for yourself, but if you find yourself thinking it should be a little more artist friendly your not alone. I really miss Deluxe Paint and my Amiga, so maybe I am spoiled.

Funny! I've never used Aura since I was using Macs. Now I'm on a company that uses pcs and we bought Mirage for a 5 min animation we had to do. We were animating with the blue pencil case in less than one day. Once you get used with the UI you'll see that it really makes sense and the shortcuts can be customised, so everything you used to need for 2D (digital or traditional) can go straight to a garage sail!
But I've never touched Amiga or Deluxe Paint so... I was not so spoiled!

Tim Parsons
12-28-2005, 02:09 PM
If you not a big fan of reading the book and studying tutorials before you can use a program then the learning cure for Mirage will be too steep unless you have lots of Aura experience.

Everybody's mind works different. I've never cracked the manual for Mirage and while it has some quirks, I find it to be super easy to use. On the other hand I can't even load anything in DFX+ without reading the manual.

Cheers Tim

Vincenzo
01-03-2006, 09:17 PM
Yeah Mirage looks like a good deal, so I went ahead and bought it.

Thanks all,

Vincent

w_will
01-04-2006, 09:11 AM
Kool,
Check out the tutorials on thier web site it is a very powerful program hopefully you are one of those people who get unto the interface easily. I really should learn to use spell check. Meant learning curve earlier not learning cure ;O) The light table function rocks.