PDA

View Full Version : importing dwg,dxf or other 3d drawings to lightwave?

balleknuser
12-18-2005, 05:36 AM
Hi there folks! :thumbsup:

Im a guy 25years from Norway. I have been surfing on the web at the lightwave software. Its looks very impressive! Im have been drawing houses in 5 years now in autocad and chief architect drawing programs. I usually draw working plans for the carpenters. But i also do 3 dimensional drawings to my customers. And have used chief architect for the visual part, for both exterior and interior drawings.

But my timeline is not so good… my drawings have to be drawn quickly, and good. So i wonder if lightwave is good for architect drawings. Do lightwave have:

1.library with different furniture’s?
2. different wall types?
3. Ect. roof trusses?
4. and all the elements you need to draw a house?

Or do you have to draw each single construction part, in the lightwave program every time?

Do you know if its possible to import a autocad 3d drawing in to lightwave? Dwg or dxf? 3 3d block?

My background, carpenter, technical drawer, technical constructor, hobby architect …..
Do you believe lightwave is a good program for me? Im using chief architect for det 3d part. You can find the program here : chiefarchitect.com

Your sincerely
Espen Beyer Tomren

doimus
12-18-2005, 08:11 AM
Here are the quick answers:

Does lightwave have:
1.library with different furniture’s?
NO

2. different wall types?
NO

3. Ect. roof trusses?
NO

4. and all the elements you need to draw a house?
NO

And here is the explanation:
LW just isn't the kind of software you are looking for! I am Architecture student and use LW in my projects along with other software packages.
LW is a general 3D modelling/animation package. It's not tied to a specific niche or industry field.
What you need is a specific BIM package, like Archicad or Revit....

There is a plugin for 2D technical drawing called LWCAD, and I have no doubt that similar 3D with parametric architectural objects could be made. It just haven't been made yet.

But it's not LW's fault for not having the things you asked, becouse it's just not it's field of work.
What IS Lightwave's (Newtek's) fault ,though, is appaling support or lack of it, for DXF, DWG, DGN and other "technical" file formats. We're basically stuck in 1999 on that matter... :sleeping:

I would really love to see Newtek in this list:
OpenDesign Alliance (http://www.opendesign.com/membership/sustain.htm)

badllarma
12-18-2005, 08:11 AM
1) I'm sure you can find lots online free models that you could use in Lightwave also 3D World magainze usually has a few models for free on on it's issues CD. you can always build your own collection of course :)

2 -4 Once you have a model in Lightwave you can use it again and again in different projects resize it spin it around do what ever you wish.

This may be of intrest to you as well, it's third party but at the price Lightwave is selling for you can not go far wrong http://www.wtools3d.com/

hope this helps.

balleknuser
12-18-2005, 12:07 PM
Im using chief architect when i draw houses now, go to this adress: chiefarchitect.com. Its quite similar to archicad. Its a very good program! But tanks for the info! I was about to buy this program tommorow, but if you say this program isnt for me, then i wont buy it! Thank you mate!

But go to chiefarchitect.com. It would be a helpful program for you, and its not so expensive!

Espen