PDA

View Full Version : Help with crashing please.

scott1701
05-11-2003, 03:58 PM
Thanks in advance for any help.

I'm having severe problems with Lightwave Layout crashing continuously on my laptop. Several of the scenes included on the CD don't won't load without crashing Lightwave. Some of the obects alone can cause Lightwave to crash.

I'm using Lightwave 7.5 build 572.

The laptop is a Sony PCG-FXA32 with an AMD Duron 900mHz, 256 MB RAM, ATI Rage Mobility-M1 AGP graphics card (updated to the latest driver). Swap file is set at 382 MB on a 14GB drive.

I don't expect this to be a particularly fast machine, in fact, I expect quite long render times from Lightwave. But the crashing is quite bothersome as I'm trying to learn Lighwave and am beginning to question if I made a wise purchase. Will I need to purchase a new laptop to run Lightwave? Admittidly, I haven't tried it on any of my desktops.

Thanks again for any responses,
Scott

Rei
05-11-2003, 04:38 PM
I think I know the problem, I also have a fairly low end laptop. They normally have very small graphics card RAM, mine is only 8mbs! LW will crash anytime there is a surface that has been asigned a image as a texture, once the images have reached a large enough size not to be suported by the card. It boils down to, you will be able to model and animate on your laptop, but texturing inside LW is not possible.

If anyone knows how to get round this, please let me know.

scott1701
05-11-2003, 06:30 PM
Thanks, that makes sense. My graphics memory is also limited to 8MB.

Forgot to mention, if it makes a difference, that I'm running Windows XP.

mrunion
05-11-2003, 07:05 PM
This may be way off here, but my laptop does fine with LW (32MB nVidia, Dell Inspiron 8100, Win XP, etc., etc.) UNLESS I try to put a second monitor on my laptop and then EXTEND my desktop onto it. Modeller does fine but Layout slows to a crawl, then dies.

I know you didn't mention it specifically, but maybe you guys are trying this too?

Rei
05-12-2003, 11:53 AM
No, it is only with one moniter. The reason yours never dies like this is because you have a graphics card with 4x the RAM as ours. I guessed this was the problem because when I loaded up the models on a different machine with more RAM on the chip, it was fine. This is why I really want a new laptop!