PDA

View Full Version : Door/Window Cutouts

jhardisty
12-17-2005, 07:44 AM
Hi

How would I cut out door and window frames in walls of a house?

If I use Drill/Tunnel then the "frame" goes thru the wall I want PLUS all the walls behind it. How can I limit it to the polys I want? The walls are one poly that's been extruded so I can't exlcude those walls that shouldn't be cut.

Thanks

jpaugh78
12-17-2005, 07:56 AM
Just take the walls you want to cut through, cut them from the main layer and copy them into their own layer. Then do your work with the drill. Then when you're done you can put them back into the main layer. Just an idea, thats what i usually do.

romrom74
12-17-2005, 08:14 AM
drill works only on selected polys if you happen to select some. The unselected will remain un touched by the drill tool

jpaugh78
12-17-2005, 10:43 AM
Hmm, i did not know that....thats much easier, LOL

jhardisty
12-18-2005, 03:07 AM
Thanks guys will try this as soon as I finish up some other things

jhardisty
12-18-2005, 08:31 AM
Ok, that works but how do I get the drill to fill/create polys inbetween the wall polys becvause now they're hollow. ie

from this
----- -----

----- -----

to this
----- -----
| |
----- -----

Auger
12-18-2005, 09:48 AM
Try using Boolean instead. Make a window-sized box that intersects your wall and hit control-b. Choose Subtract.

Or use drill on both walls (that the window is going into), select the two created polys and use the Bridge Tool.

Jon

jhardisty
12-18-2005, 12:46 PM
Boolean(shift-B)/Subtract works but then you're left with the overlapping polys that you need to get rid of, and this is a simple model, wouldn't try this on something like a double sided sphere or anything more complex. I can't seem to post a pic

Slicing and then Bridging the new polys causes havoc.

It's been 6+ yrs since I last used LW, I know I've done this with a much simpler method.

MooseDog
12-18-2005, 09:48 PM
this may help. bevel both sides of each section of the wall with the appropriate inset but no shift. then with the bridge tool connect the "beveled" polys. no booleans, no f'd up polys, the screenie below took me less than a minute. is this what you're after?

jhardisty
12-19-2005, 02:09 AM
This works for a simple shape but how would u do it for something more complicated like cutting lettering out etc.