PDA

View Full Version : So many unanswered questions

rebohn
12-17-2005, 04:54 AM
Swimming through the Mac forum, trying to decide whether or not to bite the upgrade offer, I wonder what is the use of so many questions with no answers?
There are juicy "bug reports" --but often without info as to computer model or system, and who knows whether the user even performs regular maintenance. I think I see problems I recognize that might be caused by basic Mac mistakes--but we power users don't make those mistakes, do we?
Then there are serious-sounding issues, and an occasional reply by a long-suffering moderator, with somehow a hint of perspiration clinging.
But what is the use of the hundreds of questions without any conclusions, or with replies from users who have some voodoo that works for them on their gotchamaloppi systems? Will it work on mine?
Then threads end--did the problem go away, or was it resolved; what is the end of the story? There are numerous bug reports from a year or more ago--are these still relevant? Or have the bugs gone away to chew on Maya for a while? Will we ever know?
Of course I also see firm solutions given, and thanks rendered--this is good, and very encouraging, and often insightful, and this seems to be much of the real essence of the forum.
To me, the issue of upgrading is mostly driven by Apple's mad schedule of Planned Obsolescence. The new features the OS offers are, to me, just needless elaboration to sell more software, and might mean an annoying rearrangement of my tools. A new OS is there mainly to make my new Mac seem like an old turkey, and to discourage serious work for some indeterminate time. It is amazing that NewTek puts up with it, but I am glad they do. There seem to be some problems with LW8, but reading here doesn't really clarify anything for me except that the alternatives to LW are either lame and ugly, underendowed, or with Maya, much too awkward and overcomplicated for a solo act.

Richard B.
insomniac animator, self-appointed sage, skeptic, fool

toby
12-17-2005, 12:09 PM
I don't understand, do you want every question to be answered, which is impossible, or do you want people to stop asking?

There's no way anyone can diagnose your system over the internet, nobody is withholding information, except maybe Newtek's proprietary info, so what is it you're asking for?

rebohn
12-17-2005, 03:25 PM
These are just commentary, not a request for help. I guess a reflective state of mind is out of place here.

toby
12-17-2005, 03:55 PM
No, a pessimistic state of mind is out of place here.

If you were 'reflecting' you would have said 'maybe it's because of x, or maybe y', and you would have open to debate and discussion.

If you don't want any responses to your rants about why everything isn't perfect, at least say so.

rebohn
12-17-2005, 05:18 PM
If my ruminations seem to be offensive or out of place here:remove this thread, please
I don't see a way of doing it myself on the edit page

R.B.

riki
12-17-2005, 07:26 PM
Don't think about it so much, just shell out the bucks you know you want to :)

rebohn
12-17-2005, 09:50 PM
yes!!
Well I love LW, you know
R.B.