PDA

View Full Version : Creating websites with dreamweaver anything better?

Seti Orion
12-17-2005, 02:57 AM
I used dreamweaver years ago but it was buggy.
Is there any wysiwyg editors that can really make
a professional website?

Mylenium
12-17-2005, 03:17 AM
I used dreamweaver years ago but it was buggy.
Is there any wysiwyg editors that can really make
a professional website?

From my POV Dreamweaver is the only one. Adobe's GoLive is too clunky and the rest of what's available is to toyish for my taste. Dunno when you last worked with DW, but it's been hella stable and largely bug free ever since v4 (at least for what little web stuff I do)

Mylenium

Seti Orion
12-17-2005, 03:55 AM
Are you using 8?
How did you learn?
DO the sites it creates load fast?

Does it create messy html still

Do you have any sites i can look at?

Mylenium
12-17-2005, 06:16 AM
Are you using 8?
How did you learn?
DO the sites it creates load fast?
Does it create messy html still
Do you have any sites i can look at?

Sorry buddy, but if you're expecting magic, than you seem to have a wrong concept of the program or even the entire process. Of course it still creates "unclean" code unless you teach it to behave. But that's a thing every program does and DW certainly isn't the worst of the lot (just for fun load up this forum's source code and see how much junk it contains). As for loading fast - well, that pretty much is up to the user/ creator. Until 2 months ago I only had a dial-up internet connection and I can't say that any of the sites I worked on gave me too much headache in terms of load-up speeds. Unless you intend to punish your visitors with crappy Flash-Intros, poorly compressed images and toyish scripts, the HTML source code is the least of your troubles. I still use DW MX since we haven't upgraded to 8. The only example I really can point to is my own website (folow the link in the signature) since on other projects I'm mainly responsible for the graphics and design.

Mylenium

norvman
12-17-2005, 11:24 AM
If your only wanting to put up pictures and are not wanting to sell anything on your site ... then you really don't need to drop cash on Dream Weaver...

I still use Netscape composer...

my website was done with it almost entirely...
(it's nothing fancy but it shows my work good enough to have gotten me hired more than once...) what else do you need...

I reciently purchased a nice little wysiwyg editor called IMSengine... it works really great...

check it here...

www.virtualmechanics.com

hope that helps...

:D

ercaxus
12-17-2005, 12:25 PM
I don't know much about web/html stuff but there's this NVU (http://www.nvu.com/) thing which is free. It made some Linux users proud since there's no Adobe/Macromedia products AFAIK other than acrobat reader and the flash plugin. If I ever have to make a website (probably for myself oneday) that's what I will use because it's $free :)

phrick
12-17-2005, 04:23 PM
I know that this isn't exactly what you're asking for, but...

If you have plenty of time, and are willing to spend some of it on educating yourself, I'd suggest you forget about the WYSIWYG editors and take a closer look on xhtml and css. You can use the simplest form of text editor (I prefer to work in Homesite, but this is mainly because I write a lot of ASP code, and I couldn't live without the color syntax)

By building your (or your client's) site with xhtml/css you can separate the content and visual design. The result is ultra-fast-loading webpages which also become easier to manage (once you get the hang of it). Edit some properties in your css file and change the whole website layout. Neat-o!
Download Firefox (and the web developer toolbar extension) and get the party started.

As a bonus it's super easy to create printable versions of your pages, and they will also render beautifully in xhtml-enabled mobile phones! :thumbsup:

I could probably write several forum pages about the benefits of using css for web design, but my english skills suck, and I don't have the time. :cursin:

Anyway... If you're interested, take a look at www.alistapart.com, a great resource for people working with css designs.

riki
12-17-2005, 07:20 PM
I'm not a big fan of Dreamweaver, it does have some good features though. I prefer to hand code in BBedit but I think that's Mac only.

Yeah handing coding PHP or ASP, XHTML and CSS is definately the way to go.

Verlon
12-17-2005, 11:00 PM
not sure what you are doing in DW.....but

Anark is fun.. www.anark.com

and it plays well with lightwave

Surrealist.
12-17-2005, 11:30 PM
I don't know much about web/html stuff but there's this NVU (http://www.nvu.com/) thing which is free. It made some Linux users proud since there's no Adobe/Macromedia products AFAIK other than acrobat reader and the flash plugin. If I ever have to make a website (probably for myself oneday) that's what I will use because it's $free :)

Thanks fopr this link. I was just browsing and it so happens I am looking for a site builder.

So thank you. I am going to check it out.

ercaxus
12-18-2005, 12:17 AM
Thanks fopr this link. I was just browsing and it so happens I am looking for a site builder.

So thank you. I am going to check it out.
No problem. Take a look at this (http://www.w3.org/Amaya/Overview.html) one too. I don't know anything about it but it's free.

Surrealist.
12-18-2005, 12:19 AM
No problem. Take a look at this (http://www.w3.org/Amaya/Overview.html) one too. I don't know anything about it but it's free.

Cool thanks.