PDA

View Full Version : Subtract

Icetray
05-11-2003, 01:14 PM
How do I use the subtract tool? I've tried everything I can think of to get it to work but the boolean command button just stays grayed out.

Rei
05-11-2003, 02:15 PM
*ahem readmanualitus*

Say you want to take a circle hole from a box. First create the box in one layer, then go to the next layer (top right, the row of 10 boxes) and create the circle. Go back to the layer with the box in it, and then select the other layer but only using the lower part of its tab. You will find that the Boolean tool is now active, select subtract and Bingo!

Icetray
05-11-2003, 03:48 PM
Thanks. That was exactly what I needed. I'm only using the demo version so I don't have a manual. I'm checking to see if I like it before I buy it.

Rei
05-11-2003, 04:35 PM
No Problem, LW is a great program too, and with 8 coming out soon, its going to be Amazing!

mattclary
05-12-2003, 10:19 AM
FYI, you can download a PDF copy of the manual. I usually use the PDF more than the hard copy since it's easier to do a search.

Icetray
05-13-2003, 06:58 PM
Ok here's another problem. Whenever I extrude something the face closest to me is transparent. How do I make it opaque?

hrgiger
05-13-2003, 09:12 PM
What happened is you have extruded it inward and the faces are turned inward. You have to flip the polys. Select the polys that are invisible and hit f for flip. Or an easier way is to use the align tool found under the detail tab in modeler. This will flip all the polys so they're facing the same way (you should have nothing selected when you do it which basically tells Lightwave to apply the tool to the whole model). It might turn them inwards, but at least they're all facing the same way so now you can hit f and flip them outwards.