PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Highest Educational Level?

DigiLusionist
05-11-2003, 01:09 PM
Newbies are always asking whether it's worth it to attend a CG/VFX school or not.

Based on some of the answers that get posted, I've been really curious to know how many professional 3D artists have ever attended college.

Rei
05-11-2003, 01:25 PM
I went to Uni, BUT. I went to Imerial College London, where I studied Engineering, and hence has not much relevence on my CGI skills. :D

Bytehawk
05-11-2003, 04:41 PM
Uni - but nothing graphics related.

PR, human resources, project management etc... :)

Lightwolf
05-11-2003, 05:19 PM
2 years of Uni computer science... and then I quit. Too much theory ;)
Then an internship doing business graphics on computers (which was a treat in '92), then I freelanced a bit, and now I have my own company since '96 (co-owner).
But, this year I got to be a guest lecturer at the Filmakademie Ludwigsburg, "Rendering 101", comparing Renderers and Techniques (not too bad, considering that they turned me down as a student :D ).
Cheers,
Mike

Rory_L
05-11-2003, 09:52 PM
Polytechnic. (Poor man`s Uni :) )

...Where I did the first two years of a Biology Degree and realised it wasn`t for me, so I did the end of year exams and converted that to a diploma, so the time wasn`t wasted. Then, with that clutched in my sweaty fist I was eligible to enter the third year of a D.I.Y. Art degree. Within the Poly was a department called the School for Independent Study. (Can anyone say "Hippy hotbed"?) That`s where I was given the time to explore ways of illustrating the images creeping around in my skull. No tuition, but plenty of time to investigate possibilities and polish the then rather rough skills.

All in all, it was a very useful experience. Even the Biology course, with its emphasis on comparative physiognomy has made its mark on the CG artist me.

There`s one more thing a degree can do for you: it can cut out the need for ten year`s industry experience, when you`re trying to get into America. Things might have changed, but it was true ten or so years ago.

Cheers,

R

froggyplat
05-11-2003, 10:21 PM
1... music school
2.... community colleges
1.... university
1 .....B.A. in math with minors in astronomy and physics. Probably enough credits for a minor in music and graphic design, too.

Several.....extremely large loans to pay off.

Unemployment....priceless.

WizCraker
05-11-2003, 11:35 PM
Started college while in High school, graduated early do to college credit. Kept on going to college then many credits later transfered to a University [59 credits]. 16 credits later changed my degree from CS to something else. took 12 more credits of misc stuff acting, graphic design, tv production, animation. Gave up full scholorship <-- First Big mistake, moved to phoenix went to another University [uat.edu] <-- second Big mistake, They only took 24 of my 87 credits, 1 year later walked away with an AA in Multimedia [60 credits] - tuition was getting a little pricey [$349 per credit]. At this time 5 years later I had 123 Credits total, 6 months later joined US Army had contract and a nice $19,000 bonus to become a Ranger. Got injured in Basic and discharged, lost bonus. 2 months later went back to college [15 credits], left and moved to Austin.

The only time that I had 15 min of fame is I was a principle performer in Uncle Kracker music video Yeah Yeah Yeah, I'm the one in the pink bunny ears.

A little over 6 years of higher education, 2 Universities, 1 Comunity College, a total of 138 credits, and a AA in Multimedia is all I can show for. Looks like I should of gotten that CS degree now that I look back. Oh and I've been using Lightwave since 1995. I now work as a slave at a movie theater [only plus is free movies] and am a Small Buisness Rep for Dell [When I finish training].

riki
05-12-2003, 08:42 PM
I studied Lightwave at Uni, it wasn't my Major (photomedia) but it was my intro to 3D.

dwburman
05-12-2003, 09:18 PM
Graduated '96 from Uni with a Communications:Media Graphic Production degree... They didn't teach 3D at the time (barely taught any software at all)

mastermesh
05-13-2003, 11:19 AM
Graduated at the end of the Millinium from Truman State U. (formerly Northeast Missouri State U). I started out wanting to go into Computer Science or Accounting, but before declaring a major in either took an intro Computer Science course and discovered that I hated math... then I veered off into Art, and started my long trek into getting a BFA in Art with Emphasis in Studio Painting and a Minor in Theater. I thought about Sculpture or Printmaking but gave up on that since I love to paint and it's a little easier to paint than do real 3d work or mess with the printers tools since scanners can do similar types of things as can cameras. I was going to do the whole illustration or graphic design thing, but after being on the verge of failing the intro class - Typography because of my grotesquely awful hand calligraphy (which you have to do a half of a semester of before getting to even touch a computer) I gave up on that discipline. I am glad that that happened because the techniques that I learned in my painting classes will never get outdated. Had I taken the path towards Graphic Design, I'd have learned a lot about Quark, Illustrator and Photoshop that would have been outdated when the next release came out a year after my graduation. I picked up Illustrator and Photoshop after graduation when I had the money to buy a pc... my curiousity in the world of 3d got me into trueSpace 3, 4 and 5 before I upgraded to Lightwave 7 - I got into computer art stuff after college and would advise everyone else interested in 3d to do so also. I was worried about 2 years in to my college career that the studio was going to be a very lonely path in my future and I was interested in English courses at the time, so I finally got into theater, and decided to stay the extra year to get a minor in theater. I think that the things that I learned about lighting design, scene design, and the many other great things that I learned about in that minor along with the 2d things that I learned in my painting classes have helped me and will help me get more and more into the filmmaking jobs someday. Right now I'm working in a job that's not related to art at all, but it's a cushy office job, so my typing skills have improved to about 50 wpm. I got this job after applying for it a little over a half year ago. It's essentially a step up from the lousy Insurance Follow Up job that I had when I got in January 2000 after graduating in December 1999... I'd advise anybody interested in this area to get traditional art skills before even thinking about going after a computer-centric degree because computers will be twice the speed and new programs will be the industry standard in the blink of an eye... painting, sculpture, and the other traditional arts are still done primarily the same way that they were several hundred years ago. Photoshop, Flash, even Lightwave have changed a lot in less than 5 years - something to think about.

jds580s
05-13-2003, 11:28 AM
Hey, mastermesh, your in Missouri! I attended Southwest Missouri State University for their Electronic Arts and Animation programs. It was fairly well rounded between the traditional art background, 3d (lightwave), audio and video. Overall what did you think of Truman?

Justin Sirois

mastermesh
05-14-2003, 07:27 AM
I was going to attend Southwest but chose Northeast instead - going all over the compass points deciding where to go to college. I chose Truman (it was NMSU for about half the time that I was there) because it was cheaper overall, has a very high expectection of its students and is secluded....

http://www.truman.edu

Being out in the middle of nowhere in the middle of all those fields ten miles away from the state border you tend to study more than you do if you are surrounded by malls, cinemas and other forms of civilization. About my junior year they put in a Hastings in Kirksville, and that was a nice change of pace. Before that, the local hangout was the Wal-Mart Supercenter or the coffeehouse. I think that things have changed a bit since I was there - but when I was there it was nice that my dorm room was right across the street from an all woman's dorm that was full of women that didn't know how to close the blinds. :)

The little while that I wasn't in the dorms was nice because I was one block from all of the bars (all 4 of them). I loved Toons. That bar may be pretty small but it has a pretty cool little catwalk - a little dangerous if you are drunk on that spiral stairwell but pretty cool nonetheless!

If anybody that reads this is thinking of going to TSU for college for art classes - the art program is real good, but be warned that you will not have a lot of room for storing your supplies, and could well get written up for storing art supplies in your dorm room... At one point in time, there was an old school building in the middle of town that several art students rented as a studio. I don't know if it's still there or not, but you could ask John Bohac, the main painting teach about it - he's the coolest! He may be able to get you into contact with the landlord, or previous students who know the landlord. That place is kinda creepy (there's a skeleton in a box somewhere or used to be), but is really cool and big enough and messy enough for you to do a lot.

Although Bohac is cool, you should probably try to get as many Jim Jerub (the print making teacher) drawing classes instead of Bohac's classes because Jim tends to push you harder into making great art very quickly!