PDA

View Full Version : help:HOwdoyou resize a scene (units)?

operation
12-16-2005, 10:50 AM
Hi,

How do you resize a scene ( Lights,Objects, Camera) ?

ie: I have to work on a scene with bad units value.

I want to rescale in "one" step ... (without rescaling element by element)

something like "rescale world units"

thanks for your help

jeremyhardin
12-16-2005, 10:56 AM
[ and ] are the quick keys.

it's in the display options. Grid size.

that will affect your lights/nulls/cameras, but not your objects. this is because your object's scale is absolute from how you modeled it and it's not scene scale dependant.

also, changing grid size doesn't affect anything about the actual render. only the OpenGL display.

jeremyhardin
12-16-2005, 10:57 AM
just re-read your question. if you want to change the actual scale of multiple items in your scene...

parent everthing you want rescaled to a null object and rescale it to your liking.

:D

operation
12-16-2005, 11:18 AM
thanks I was afraid of that ...
I don't want to select all parents and I don't want to break animation links etc... ..blbalbalbabla ....

I was looking for a resize ( like a script or plugin), I don't know how architect work .... (maybe they always work at the good size ) ...

Is it difficult to make a plugin working this way ?

like Scale all values.. and freezing objects, lights,cameras .... like MAX,XSI, Maya ...

I hate that !

anyway thanks for the reply ....

jeremyhardin
12-16-2005, 02:56 PM
forgot to mention, lights (other than area and linear) and cameras don't have scale parameters. so they're kind of different.

but multiselection and scaling of objects works too (so you don't have to parent).

operation
12-16-2005, 09:38 PM
I know that Camera and light don't have scaling parameters.

Someone did a oldplugin called "Uber null". I am sure it was for this reason: to resize a scene.

You can find info on Flay.

in case: you can look this fonction in 3dsmax "rescale world units". very handy.

toby
12-17-2005, 12:37 PM
If you try to scale objects individually, you'll change all the distances between them - I don't understand why you can't parent everything to a Null and scale that, the only thing that doesn't work with is world-coordinate things.