PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into the Ligthwave scene after being away a few years.

Thor Simpson
12-16-2005, 09:16 AM
Hi everyone... just introducing myself as I hope to become an active participant around here. (Yes, I posted a similar thread on another forum today if people think this seems familiar.)

I started out with Ligthwave in '90 on the Video Toaster. Needless to say, it's come a long ways since then (And there are now processors faster than the Motorola 68000 running at 7.14 Mhz!). I stuck with Ligthwave until 2001, thankfully making the move over to the PC for a while, but have been out of the scene for the past few years. I think the last version I had was 6 or 7, and I'm amazed at the progress that's been made up to 8.5. With 9 on the horizon and my work moving in the right direction, I'm ready to dive back in.

I've been lurking around here for a few months now, just to feel things out. It's been a little scary with the Vue5 offer expiring with the release of 9, but I hope to pick up a full release of 8 with upgrade to 9 before the end of the year, if finances allow. Unlike many, I'm one of the few who has actually been hoping for 9 to be delayed so I could save up in time (please don't stone me). I think I still have my parallel port dongle from 6.0 somewhere but with the new pricing, I hope to just start fresh.

It looks like the Vue 5 offer is extended to the 31st, so I think I'm okay now. I just have one more person to convince of what a great deal it is (yes, I'm married).

So... that out of the way, I look forward to participating. This looks like a great discussion group.

Anyone here in the Seattle area that was involved in the Toaster/Flyer scene throughout the 90's? We certainly may have crossed paths at some point as I attended all of the Toaster User Group meetings and any other NewTek event possible.

I'll try to dig up some portfolio stuff from the past to share, and once I get into all the new lightwave features I've been missing out on it will be fun to share and learn from all of you. If only we had a resource like the internet when i was first learning.

Zane Condren
12-16-2005, 09:36 AM
Welcome Back!

When you purchase your upgrade to LW, you may also swap your parallel dongle for a USB Dongle at no charge if you do it at the same time you purchase the upgrade

Thor Simpson
12-16-2005, 09:51 AM
Welcome Back!

When you purchase your upgrade to LW, you may also swap your parallel dongle for a USB Dongle at no charge if you do it at the same time you purchase the upgrade
Thanks. I was just looking at the upgrade page actually and found out just that. I'll have to call support in a bit to make sure it will work okay. I'm pretty sure it was registered, but it may actually be under my dad's name since he made the purchase at the time (wow, things change a lot in just a few years). I'll have to see.

I don't even have the software any more, just the dongle. This is 3 moves later and 2 computers. It's an NT dongle, and it's a miracle I even saved it (okay, more of a pack rat mentaility than a miracle).

Will I need the old software to install the upgrade or is the serial number and dongle enough?

Thanks again. :thumbsup:

Thor Simpson
12-16-2005, 02:39 PM
Apparently I can't do the upgrade since my copy was never registered. I have no idea how I managed to forget to register back in the day. :cursin:

Hopefully I can get this before the Vue5 promo ends.

Thor Simpson
12-16-2005, 06:11 PM
Okay, that didn't take long. My order for the full version is in, and I'll be joining you all in Lightwave Land in the next week or so.

archiea
12-17-2005, 03:54 PM
welcome back... I;m and on again off again kinda of user as well. be sure to check out the free tuts online..

http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/tutorials/videos/index.php