PDA

View Full Version : LW and LOTR?

lw3d23
12-15-2005, 01:11 PM
I found "Return of the king" in LW Project List ( http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/projects.php ), did they use LW just for pre-viz, or something else?

toonafish
12-15-2005, 02:07 PM
maybe they used it to model the balrogs fingernail :D

CAClark
12-15-2005, 06:23 PM
I htink all the software add every movie to the list regardless? Seeing how most studios aren't regidly one software pipe-lines (well, some anyway) it stands to reason all the pakcages are quite likely to get involved somewhere along the line.

Either that, or they used a LW manual to prop a door open so it wasn't to hot!

Cheers!

spec24
12-15-2005, 07:19 PM
Not a very positive outlook guys :)

peteb
12-16-2005, 10:12 AM
I'm pretty sure they used Maya for most of their stuff but it may have been used for anything even the titles.

belseth
12-16-2005, 06:21 PM
I worked on LOTRs and they were using Maya for the animation and Max for the Previze. If Lightwave was used it wasn't used much. Max is popular for previze and pretty much every big budget company uses Maya. Some quickie stuff might have been done with Lightwave but my guess is a shot or two got farmed out to a sub contractor that used it. Weta is pretty much Maya and Max although they use a lot of proprietary as well. They were still working the bugs out of Massive when I was around.

Draven
12-28-2005, 11:10 AM
Maybe they are referring to DD's shot in 'Fellowship'

Meshbuilder
12-29-2005, 01:35 PM
Maybe they are referring to DD's shot in 'Fellowship'

Rhythm & Hues created special effects for LOTR and they sometimes use Lightwave..

Emmanuel
12-30-2005, 10:30 AM
Wasn't Gollum modelled, surfaced, rigged,animated and rendered in LW ?

(ducks and runs)

Elmar Moelzer
12-30-2005, 12:07 PM
I cant say this for sure since I was not involved with the project myself, but I heard that the city was actually modeled in LW and some other things too.
CU
Elmar

lw3d23
12-30-2005, 12:29 PM

(ducks and runs)

NO, as I know, Gollum modeled in Mirai by Bay with his teammate, and rigged in Maya by Jason.

Titus
12-30-2005, 02:08 PM
They rendered with RenderMan. Maya (via MtoR) and Massive can output RIB files.

Emmanuel
12-31-2005, 11:12 AM
Geee, guys, I was just kiddin', 'kay ?

Martin Adams
12-31-2005, 08:57 PM

(ducks and runs)

Had me in stitches :D - Nice try though

Panikos
01-01-2006, 02:07 AM
Lately I saw the trilogy. I see some cheap 2D compositions in it, some outlines without feather, bad perspective tracking, static light on a riding-a-horse scene etc etc

operation
01-01-2006, 04:55 AM
hi Panikos,

It's due to short delay. heavy work...
more CG shot int the last film.

And all the work wasn't done by weta ( as you certainly know, sometime graphists could be bored in a company... and do fast and bad work).

Now, when I see error ( bad mask, blue in hair ..etc..), I always ask myself :

How much time they had to do the job ?
who was working on it ? (professionnal, studient ... )
Did the graphist enjoy working on this shot ?
Is the shoot badly filmed ? (bad lights on stage, bad blue screen ... and sometime Cg team is not involved before shooting).
etc...

I had thoses problems on my production.

And of course the last ... after working nights and days , with few sleeps ... you don't see "clear", details doesn't jump right away. Sometime after few months , I watch my work again ..and details popup !! .. but too late :rolleyes:

see ya !

Panikos
01-01-2006, 08:00 AM
Hi operation

Happy 2006.

I know what you mean.
Thats why I dont have a deadline on my short film, it takes so long to make, but at least I am satisfied (almost)
:king:

operation
01-02-2006, 01:49 AM
Happy new year to you !

yes .. it's good to have unlimited time, unlimited budget :D

I hate the short deadline :thumbsdow :help:

Is it a short for TV ? or web diffusion ?

cheers

Panikos
01-02-2006, 01:56 PM
Salut operation

Bon anne :thumbsup:

Is pour Annecy International Film Festival du animation.
(I dont have unlimited budget, I work to feed the hungry film)

35mm, avec plaisir et algie 8~

All my requests, my aid is due to my needs, not for personal satisfaction, but because LW needs them too.
:king:

juice
01-03-2006, 05:48 AM
The biggest part was done in Maya, but I like to see some reference pictures done by Lightwave in the feature list. It isnt cool to hear from any of the companys "its done with that or that software" Ist better to hear which part was done, or who was the person working with the software.
It is the same if I show my reel... working with great peoples didnt say I did the stuff and you have hire me...