PDA

View Full Version : A couple of rendering questions

kennez
12-15-2005, 10:53 AM
I have been working on a scene that I have been modelling in Modo, and have just brought it into Layout for some test renders using FPrime 2.1, and have run into some problems.

First, the scene is quite heavy on polys, and uses a lot of subpatched items on various layers of the LWO file. This makes Layout extremely slow and memory hungry. My system has 1GB of RAM installed, but when I load the object into Layout, my available memory, according to the Task Manager, is around 5000KB, with a PF usage of over 1.2GB. As you can guess, this makes it pretty much impossible to do anything. This leads to my first question: Is it possible to hide layers in the viewport, but still have them render? Am I right in thinking that this would free up memory?

This leads into my second problem.

In order to try and speed things up a bit, I turned the display sub-patch level to 0 for all layers of the scene (even the ones that don't have any subpatches on them). This did actually speed things up a bit, and seemed to free up memory, however, when I rendered with FPrime (rendering to a file, not the previewer), I found that a number of items in the scene (mostly, but not exclusively layers with subpatches), were not appearing in the render. Upping the display subpatch level to 1 made the objects appear in the render, but the subpatch objects appeared in the render as they did in the viewport (not smoothed very well). Upping the display level to 2 sorted this, but returned me to the state mentioned in problem 1 above.
My assumption from this is that FPrime render uses the Display subpatch settings instead of the Render levels. Is this correct, or am I missing something?.

Is there anything I can do in order to free up memory in LW when working with this scene?

My specs are:
P4 3.06GHz w/ HT
1GB RAM
GeForce FX5600XT w/128Meg
Win XP Home (SP2)
LW8.5
FPrime 2.1

BTW, for anybody that's interested, here is the WIP thread
http://forums.luxology.com/discussion/topic.aspx?id=3572

slomo
12-15-2005, 02:25 PM
change some of the settings in the display options(keyboard d)...like decreasing your bounding box threshold....decreasing the number of open gl lights if ya have many...untick most of the opengl functions...knock the textue sze down low...you could also turn your view to bounding box or vertice or wire view....these are just a few things that help me when Layout starts to bog...unless there something in the object properties or dope sheet I think thats all ya can do....I could be wrong...lol

BTW very nice project...good work..the show has always been one of my favorites next do the inside..hehe

BazC
12-15-2005, 02:33 PM
You can hide objects in the scene editor and they will still render. That should make scene navigation much easier but you may still have memory problems when you render. - Baz

slomo
12-15-2005, 03:13 PM
Im with him..thats right...lol...didnt see it cause I kept on popping new versus classic its all the way to the left..

SplineGod
12-16-2005, 03:39 AM
I would freeze anything not being deformed that will probably help.