PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave artist collaborators needed

snouty
12-15-2005, 02:02 AM
Hello everyone,

It's been a long while since I was a part of the Lightwave community. I'll be very surprised if there's anyone still around that I used to hang out with, but I'm just getting back into Lightwave after a long layover and I know the only place to get help and encouragement is on the Usenet group and now here. :?)

Not wishing to be the house guest who only calls around when they want something, but I have a need to get in touch with a Lightwave artist to help out on this new feature film I'm working on. There's no budget, and the schedule is going to be a little tight, but you will get the chance to work with some really cool people and get your name up there in lights. (and when I say that I'm not just talking about me, I'm talking about people who have listings on IMDB) Also deferred payment and a DVD of the finished movie for your showreel are possibly on the table, depending on how things turn out.

What I need is someone to work under me as a builder of environments, modelling and texturing etc, for use as background plates for our green screen footage. I'll be doing the rendering and stuff, alls I need are good models. I'm writing and directing the thing so I don't have time (and frankly I've been out of the loop too long) to build my own. Plus I thought it would be cool to get another person's input in the design. We'll be shooting the film in our studio in Somerset, in the west country, UK, in Easter 2006, but our Lightwave artist(s) don't need to be there of course.

Okay that's my plea, now back to my usual stream of pathetic FAQs regarding the use of Lightwave. :?) It's great to be back. So, are there any of my old friends still around?

Phil South
(ex Computer Shopper and Keyframe magazines etc.)

PS. does anyone know the whereabouts of Doug Kelly and Lee Stranahan?

JamesCurtis
12-15-2005, 12:37 PM
Sorry, but I can't do work for what could be nothing. I have to eat and also have bills to pay besides. Paying work has presidence over non-paying stuff any day.

I have had several people approach me with this kind of thing, and the answer to them was SORRY too. I have projects I'd love to do too, but I won't foist them on anyone, if I can't pay them something while they work. Deferred payment doesn't always work, and on several occasions, has not worked into any payment at all. Workers have a right to be paid for thier time and effort, somehow.

Even so, I hope you do find some friends to help you out.

paulrus
12-15-2005, 01:52 PM
Read Proton's post:

http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9910

shaol
12-15-2005, 03:28 PM
Would you sign a contract with the person doing the work and stating what may or may not happen. I don't see anything to contact you and I would like to hear more about what your doing or planning to do. Also do you have a portfolio or web page so we know if you have any exsperance.

pooby
12-15-2005, 04:24 PM
Your kidding right? How about you go ask your doctor for a free check up!

I'm sure he'd say.. Ok no problem

He lives in the UK..

riki
12-15-2005, 09:10 PM
Yeah we get free checkups in Australia too. I think Lee sold his LW gear and has moved on to other things. Photography and family if I recall correctly.

cgbloke2004
12-15-2005, 09:39 PM
actually i remember snouty from his articles in magazines and iirc, he was a friend of one of my animation tutors back at uni.
that said, sorry i've got no time and i've been stung a few too many times..

lol, i'll have to remember that term 'ifcome' lol

Matt
12-16-2005, 01:01 PM
Phil South, now there's a name from the past! :)

Nice to have you back!

snouty
09-10-2006, 11:57 AM
Sorry, but I can't do work for what could be nothing. I have to eat and also have bills to pay besides. Paying work has presidence over non-paying stuff any day.

I have had several people approach me with this kind of thing, and the answer to them was SORRY too. I have projects I'd love to do too, but I won't foist them on anyone, if I can't pay them something while they work. Deferred payment doesn't always work, and on several occasions, has not worked into any payment at all. Workers have a right to be paid for thier time and effort, somehow.

Even so, I hope you do find some friends to help you out.

Thanks for the input. Sorry about the huge time lag... We've moved on since then and we are going much more ambitious. We're seeking sponsorship from a variety of manufacturers. We'll be paying anyone we use. But the post production isn't going to be till we got the thing shot.

ttfn

snouty
http://thesacrament.ideasdigital.com
http://www.myspace.com/snouty2005

snouty
09-10-2006, 11:58 AM
actually i remember snouty from his articles in magazines and iirc, he was a friend of one of my animation tutors back at uni.
that said, sorry i've got no time and i've been stung a few too many times..

lol, i'll have to remember that term 'ifcome' lol

God someone remembers me. You must be old. :)

snouty
09-10-2006, 12:00 PM
Phil South, now there's a name from the past! :)

Nice to have you back!

Thank you kind sir.

Yes, having spent the year tinkering with doing what turned out to be a demo shoot rather than the actual shoot, I'm now back seeking finance and trying to earn a crust doing animation and graphics for people.

It's all uphill from here folks.

snouty

adamgibson
09-15-2006, 01:15 AM
Hi there,

My name is Adam Gibson. I've been using Lightwave since 1995, back in the vidoe toaster days. Give me all the specs on project, contact info, and would be interted in talking.

Thanks,

Adam Gibson
[email protected]
(Phantom-Vision 3D)

JamesCurtis
09-15-2006, 02:06 PM
snouty,

I know what I said earlier was a bit blunt, but, if you indeed have a PAYING project in the works now, I would be interested. Would like to have a little more info on the project if posible. you can check out my work at www.jmcgraphics.com if you wish.

Thanks

JamesCurtis

ndrangesh
09-20-2006, 06:47 AM
Hello everyone in Newtek and good morning to newtek lightwave users

hi Riki

Just asking, did you work as a Lecturer in Edith Cowan University, Perth,Western Australia. if so i was your student, you taught me photoshop, premiere. please send an email to me at [email protected]

riki
09-20-2006, 07:26 AM
naaah not me :) I'm based in Japan, formerly from Sydney.

ndrangesh
09-22-2006, 04:35 AM
hi Riki
How is the oppurtunity for Lightwave generalist in Japan.
also please check my website www.rangesh.8k.com
please reply

riki
09-22-2006, 05:17 AM
Hi ndrangesh

I think it's tough getting any kind of work here unless you can speak Japanese.

ndrangesh
09-25-2006, 03:32 AM
Hi Riki,
can tell me about your work at SYDNEY. which company did you work in SYDNEY, can you suggest a few advice in working at Sydney.

i like your quote " don't thank me, Just pay me!" which is what we people need, because most people get their job done using us and simply thanks us with a big teethy smile.hi we don't accept thanks; but we take cash!
Eagewrly waiting for your reply

Stooch
09-25-2006, 07:08 AM
How about a forum rule demanding that any job posts had a contract ready to go and offered pay?

if you want to ride other people, how about you say it like it is in a general forum and maybe someone might help you out. But to list this in the job section is an insult to the community.

Btw my daily rate is 500 im booked solid but who knows, might be free in the future...

kikithuy
10-18-2006, 01:46 AM
Hi - don't know if you are still looking for help with your feature - but we would be happy to work on it with you.

Please take a look at our existing work www.creationstudio.co.uk we have not done any feature length productions as yet but keen to get into this area - we have done a lot of commercial and corporate work and have several DVDs out on the market we have done work on.

Sorry if this comes too late, but happy to discuss how we could help out. [email protected]

Dexter2999
10-30-2006, 10:16 AM
Hi,

I suck but I will work for free, in my spare time.