PDA

View Full Version : XYZ coordinate system

Gaze
12-14-2005, 07:22 PM
uhh...you know how +Y axis is 3rd dimension in LW?

well, I'm wondering is there a way to adjust this so it's +Z instead, which I'm more comfortable with. Or am I SOL and need to adjust my spatial thinking 8~ switching back/forth between LW and CAD.

Silkrooster
12-14-2005, 09:24 PM
Actually it is the opposite. X is left to right, y is up and down and z is forward and backwards. This is pretty much standard, however I have come across a few programs, like Vue which is y is forward and back and z is up and down. BTW, forward and backwards is the third demention.
Silk

toonafish
12-15-2005, 03:27 AM
Z is depth in most 3D programs exept for CAD and Max,which comes from a cad background, where Z is up. This is because flat cad drawings already have an x and y axis, and whan you lay them flat on teh table and add the Z axis, it's pointing upwards.

Gaze
12-15-2005, 08:19 AM
right, toonafish...I'm referring to drawing (in many CAD applications) in the "flat" x-y plane as 2D, then extruding "up" as the 3rd dimension on the Z-axis.

Yes, Vue uses this convention also. And every cad program I've ever used.

question is, can LW be set the same (via some setting). As it is, LW uses the XZ plane as the "flat" 2D plane :foreheads , which is weird to me.

toonafish
12-15-2005, 11:32 AM
nope, I'm afraid you'll have to live with it ;-)

Gaze
12-16-2005, 06:53 PM
wonderful

another wish list entry
:bangwall:

MrChristopherSL
12-17-2005, 11:18 AM
What I don't understand about Lightwave is why is Front actually Back in other apps. To make LW behave like my other 3D apps view wise, I have to use its Back view to match up what others' Front view is.

Strange.

Chris

toby
12-17-2005, 12:31 PM
What I don't understand about Lightwave is why is Front actually Back in other apps. To make LW behave like my other 3D apps view wise, I have to use its Back view to match up what others' Front view is.

Strange.

Chris
This is for consistency within LW. Cameras face +Z, and models, a car or a human for example, need to face +Z, because that is Forward. If you're looking through the camera down the Z at a car that's also facing Z, you're going to see the back of it. When you switch to 'Front' view, you're looking from +Z back to -Z, the front of the car.

It makes sense in LW, I don't know how it's done in other apps, but it would be nice to have a 'swap front/back view' switch, in modeler anyway.