PDA

View Full Version : Strange Camtasia problems

Jeremy Case
12-14-2005, 03:06 PM
Hi all,

I'm having problems importing screen captures from Camtasia into Video Toaster. What happens is that the captures I've taken look fine when viewed through either Camtasia or Windows Media Player, but once I bring them into VT, strange things start happening. Certain of the captured screens will appear black except for isolated icons, and the cursor shows up within the screen captured video as a black box. If I was to guess, I'd say it was codec problems: that VT is unable to interpret certain types of information within the techsmith codec. I tried reinstalling the latest versions of both the Techsmith codec and Camtasia itself, but to no avail. I've used Camtasia captures before within VT, and had no problems. What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Jeremy Case

Jim Capillo
12-14-2005, 03:46 PM
What version of VT are you using ?

Jeremy Case
12-15-2005, 07:49 AM
VT Version 4.5, Build 5926. Also, as I've been playing around, I've discovered that it seems to be in some way related to a use of the alpha track by the Techsmith codec, because if I import the clip into After Effects and ignore the alpha then it comes in just fine, and also if I turn on "overlay" in VT then the blacked out portions turn to transparent. Do you guys know if there's any way to have VT not replace alpha with black?

SBowie
12-15-2005, 11:24 AM
Actually, I suspect your issues may relate to DirectDraw options in your display card settings when using Camtasia. There's a Camtasia option to use software replacement for those calls while recording ...

Jeremy Case
12-15-2005, 12:17 PM
I figured it out! As I suspected, the problem was that there was some sort of extraneous alpha track. So the solution was to reencode the videos from Camtasia Studio, but instead of using Automatic for the color setting (which uses 24+bit color), I changed it to plain old 24bit. This got rid of the alpha and everything looks great. Thanks guys for your suggestions!