PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Dragon

starbase1
12-14-2005, 12:13 PM
Just a quick and dirty, exported from Poser and rendered in Lightwave.
This uses the great new free plugin from Dodgy, available via this thread here:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=43330&page=1&pp=1

Nick

spec24
12-15-2005, 10:46 AM
beautiful :thumbsup:

bluerider
12-15-2005, 11:01 AM
Good job on texture, thanks for link :thumbsup: .

The eyes are dead....put a bit of luminosity on the eyes in the surface editor?

Nice hair effect round neck and bottom of tail, was that sasquatch or texture maps with alpha channels or something else?

objuan
12-15-2005, 11:41 AM
very nice. are you planning to animate him, and if so, how? is there like a draw a curvy line through 3d space and have her follow it tool?

Weetos
12-15-2005, 12:16 PM
I tend to agree with bluerider about the eyes, other than that this is beautiful, really nice modeling/texture work :thumbsup:

starbase1
12-15-2005, 02:34 PM
Thanks Guys, as I said the model is not my work!

Maybe I do need to boost the eyes, or adjust the lighting to bring them out. Thanks for the tip.

The hairy bits are done with transparency maps on flatish polygons. Great for stills but of course they don't move correctly.

Animating is the main goal - I have some delightful tests using 'trailer', a free plugin from dstorm that basically deforms it so it clings to the motion path. I'm having a few problems keeping him the right way up, but the movement as he spirals past the camera is rather delightful, even if I say so myself!

I hope to add some complexity with a couple of morph targets.

Nick

dlwaters
01-05-2006, 10:47 PM
Starbase ... nice work, with one of my favorite characters. I identify stronlgy with that creature.

Could you give me some directions? I am a noob to lightwave and am finding it difficult to bring in content. How did you get that into lightwave? What format out and in and does it have the bones, etc.?

DL

Carm3D
01-06-2006, 01:11 AM
I like those colourful textures. The hair was a nice touch too. It could use some better lighting.

starbase1
01-06-2006, 02:39 AM
Carm3d, thanks. You are right, its pretty basic lighting - the main objective is an animation (music video). But I liked the look of him enough to want to knock up a still image for wallpaper etc!

DLWaters, it's pretty straightforward.
The trick is to export figures as OBJ. You can do this from Poser, or the free Dax3d studio prog, available from www.daz3d.com. The latter somes complete with quite a bit of content you can export for use in Lightwave.

This includes a UV map with image based textures, but if you open the object file directly, lightwave ignores it for some daft reason.

For heavy duty work, Greenbriar Tools for Lightwave (google it!) are your best bet, but at the top of this thread you will see a link to a free plugin that will apply the material files to OBJ's from inside lightwave. You just need to be careful with transparency maps - poser seems to think of them more as opacity maps. You will still need to fine tune a few settings, (Poser objects seem to end up with poor specularity settings, and some luminosity when they arrive), but that's not a big job.

Nick

starbase1
01-06-2006, 02:45 AM
Starbase ... nice work, with one of my favorite characters. I identify stronlgy with that creature.

Could you give me some directions? I am a noob to lightwave and am finding it difficult to bring in content. How did you get that into lightwave? What format out and in and does it have the bones, etc.?

DL

Whoops! Missed a bit...
No, that one does not have bones, its a straight exported pose.

Greenbriar tools will have a go at setting up bones for you, it's not perfect but it is a good starting point.

Personally I tend to just export a sequence of poses, then set them up as a sequence of morph targets in lightwave. This is fairly clearly explained in the lightwave manual - from memory its something like single envelope, multiple target.

You set each object as the target for the previous, then just adjust the morph percentage, (to over 100% if you have more than 2 positions).

Nick

DM67
01-06-2006, 05:23 PM
Hi Nick,
I like your dragon :thumbsup:
my compliment

:devil:
Tony