PDA

View Full Version : how to add Object Comments ??

juice
12-12-2005, 05:01 PM
... hello Lightwavers,
I have to add comments in my Lightwave scenes, and I dont know how to do this...

in my manual I read under Object Comments :
>>If I add a comment to a scene item using...(Utilities> Additional > Comments), ...I should see the comment in my viewports. <<

... I didnt can find something like >Utilities> Additional > Comments<

Can someone explain what I am doing wrong ?

gerry_g
12-12-2005, 05:42 PM
You cant find it because the name is not 'Comments' but 'Item Comments' , you need to navigate the tabs across the top of the screen to
'Utilities' look down the left hand side of you're screen to 'Additional' toggle it open and drag down to 'Item Comments' a dialogue with blank fields should pop up

evenflcw
12-12-2005, 07:00 PM
... and then you have to activate Object Properties > Add Custom Object > Item Comment Display on the item. So you could just aswell apply Item Shape instead and use it's Label setting to write your comments. I guess it depends if you want a centralised for writing and editing your comments or not.

EDIT: Noticed Item Comment Display has the ability to attach comments to cameras, lights and bones aswell... that's nice.

juice
12-13-2005, 07:11 AM
...you need to navigate the tabs across the top of the screen to
'Utilities' look down the left hand side of you're screen to 'Additional' toggle it open and drag down to 'Item Comments' a dialogue with blank fields should pop up

I cant find it under additional in my utilities tab, I did also a scan directory of my complete Lightwave folder. I use Lightwave 8.5... it was updated from 8.0 to 8.3 and now 8.5... ???

juice
12-13-2005, 07:22 AM
.. ok I found it under Edit/Edit Menu Layout/ command>Items>Items Comennts... Dont know whyit was lost...
Thanks for any help to all :thumbsup:

medicalart
01-04-2008, 08:42 PM
Apparently the comments are placed on an object's pivot point. The comments get hidden by opaque surfaces. I've been using the space bar to type blank spaces to shift the label a little. Is there another way to keep the labels from being obscured ? thanks.

evenflcw
01-04-2008, 09:00 PM
Assign the comment to a null object, parent it to the actual object and place it to the side!? :)

Do you need this functionality badly? I could probably whip up an improved version of the Item Comment Display. What are you using it for exactly?

medicalart
01-05-2008, 08:19 AM
Do you need this functionality badly? I could probably whip up an improved version of the Item Comment Display. What are you using it for exactly?[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your offer but I think adding blank spaces to offset the label will work fine. I have something like a bunch of identical balls that have to reach specific targets. It's sort of a jumble near their targets and hard to figure out which ball to select in order to adjust the path slightly. I may end up with about 50 of them. Numbering them should help, I think...

UnCommonGrafx
01-05-2008, 08:38 AM
MedicalArt,
Don't forget you could use all the tricks above with the addition of proxy-pick. (can't remember the name if this isn't it) This way you could number the nulls, move them away and use them as selection tools for your jumbled mess.

Nice info.

medicalart
01-05-2008, 08:51 AM
Good suggestion. Thanks.