PDA

View Full Version : Surface Editor

okinder
12-12-2005, 02:15 PM
I am new to Lightwave and 3d in general. I am learning by following tutorials I think will be interesting. Invariably I will get to a point where I can no longer replicate what the tutorial is showing, even though I (believe) I have followed instructions completely.

My latest issue is with surface editor. I am making a mountain scene using a tutorial posted on universe-3d. When I start adding the procedurals I find that my object does not change as the object in the tutorial and neither does the sphere. Could I have some suggestions as to what might cause this to happen and what to do about it? I've set camera and lights to the same settings as the tutorial.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks!

slomo
12-12-2005, 03:04 PM
Hey.... Which version of LW do you have? Prior to 8.5 I dont think you can view procedurals just in Layout...It will either need to be seen via a render or the VIPER interface...If you are following those guidelines then all I can wonder is whether ya have all your surfaces set up right..Hope this helps

Captain Obvious
12-12-2005, 03:06 PM
You'll have to actually render the thing. The viewport does not display procedurals, with some exceptions in LW8.5.

okinder
12-13-2005, 11:29 AM
change how,color or shape? I noticed that you said that you were making a mountain scene are you trying to get the mountain to displace or trying to change the surface.

I'm running 8.5.
Deforming the plane to make the initial mountain range works fine.

In surface editor I'm adding textures to the color. I add a gradient, and several procedurals. In the AVI tutrial the scene appears to update immediately with each change. Also the sphere does not update the same way--mine stays dull and gray with little change, while that in the tutorial reflects significant changes.

Thanks again for any input.

okinder
12-13-2005, 01:09 PM
I haven't been running 8.5 after all. Hopefully the update will help.

Thanks for the suggestions.

slomo
12-13-2005, 02:47 PM
"Also the sphere does not update the same way--mine stays dull and gray with little change, while that in the tutorial reflects significant changes."

That leads me to also believe you may not actually have the proper polygons assigned to the actual surface in which you are adjusting.....Just a thought...