PDA

View Full Version : Animating a falling Ball and Chain

CraziFuzzy
12-11-2005, 10:32 PM
I am attempting to make a ball and chain (and shackle) fall from the sky and land on ground, with the chain laying around it. I have the modeling done, and everything looks good on that end, but animating it I am having trouble. I have each link of the chain (about 16 of them) and the ball and shackle loaded into layout position just in an interlinkd column, and am using HardFX and Collision on each object to keep them together, and have them behave naturally as they fall and land. The problem is, that the links keep slipping out. I have brought the resolution all the way for to 10 mil (each link is about 3.5" long). Needless to say, the resolution at 10 mil took forever to calculate, and to find it still slipping out throughout the chain is a little disconcerting. The objects are all fairly simple, and they are sound (fully connected polygons), so I'm not sure why it is not holding together.
Anyone done anything like this animation? Any help you could provide?

Thanks,
CraziFuzzy

SplineGod
12-12-2005, 01:05 AM
You might try using cloth on a string of 2 point polys and hardlinking the ball and chain to that.

CraziFuzzy
12-12-2005, 01:26 AM
You might try using cloth on a string of 2 point polys and hardlinking the ball and chain to that.

I tried that (as in the monkey tutorial) but the problem is the lack of size to the 2 point poly's, the chain links don't colide so they just all fall into each other and become a small lump of metal.

When they don't break the chain, the collision mode looks perfect.. very natural, links move about within each other, etc, but they just keep slipping out.

Dodgy
12-12-2005, 02:53 AM
You could try using a quad poly chain instead of 2 point polys, this might help with the collision problems.