PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 50% CPU's used?!

EPYON
12-11-2005, 07:29 AM
Hi all!
I have dule Optron250 and when i render in LW it's use 50% of CPU's as the Task Manager shows........?!
whats the problem here.... is there any ide to make it 100% CPU's use?
:help:

Lynx3d
12-11-2005, 07:59 AM
:bangwall:
I know, there are no dumb questions, only dumb answers, so...i'll refer to the search function...

KillMe
12-11-2005, 09:05 AM
just to clarofy that - in your render options set your render threads to a minimum of 2 but 4-8 works better if you ask me

by defualt this is set at 1 so lightwave will only use 1 cpu

krimpr
12-11-2005, 10:12 AM
I've noticed this too with my system. 100%, 50%, 25% 75%; up and down all over the place. Every pass seems to repeat the same cycle. I've got one of the twin dualcore Opteron systems and notice that one ore more cores takes a nap and then jump back in during various satages of the render, and this cycle seems repeatable.My *guess* is that maybe not all processes can use all of the threads (mine are set to 8) and that's why they intermitently drop out. (I'm using Sasquatch and edge FX for example with radiosity) It sure slows things down when one of the cores drops out of the fight.

KillMe
12-11-2005, 11:00 AM
as best i can determine - the threads all they do is break the render down into segments - then the processors render the segments as they would render it if it was a smaller render on jsut one thread - when tis finshed it stops and waits for the other segment on the other processor to finish before going onto the next aa pass

this is why its better to do 8 threads as apposed to 2 because the semgnets are smaller oso if one part of the render takes longer than the other you dont have 1 processor sitting doing nothing for 20mins while the other works on its segment because the semetns are smaller and as such render indivually faster