PDA

View Full Version : Lighting question

abysmalgail
12-11-2005, 07:05 AM
Hello
i'm trying to create this kind of lighting on parts of my object http://www.idigitalemotion.com/tutorials/guest/xio/14.jpg
the lighting on the architecture, i'm pretty sure this can be done in 3d.
i just don't know where to start :help:
i have converted parts of the surface to powergons and luxigons, i choose spotlight, and tried al sorts of settings, but nothing looked even close to that!
its just a solid light and not as grainy diverse as on the link above!
i tried the volumetrics, in the light options, on the spot lighs too, but it looked like
:thumbsdow!

:cursin: :cursin: :help:

liquidpope
12-11-2005, 11:50 AM
You could try a relatively small area light.
Turn the quality down to 1 or 2, and leave shading noise reduction off.
Crank the intensity to 300 or 400, and set the fall off very short.
You may also want to add a (sensible) lens flare to add to the glowing halo effect.
That should get you pretty close.

meanlebh
12-11-2005, 01:17 PM
what if you modeled geometry made it fairly transparent, cranked up the luminosity, added glow, put some turbulence texture in the transparency channel with an alpha gradient of some sort on it? this would probably be the easiest way to get the exact shape that you are looking for...

good luck.

-Brian

liquidpope
12-11-2005, 01:27 PM
Yeah, I like that.
My favorite thing (well, one of my top 5) is seeing all the different ways there are to do the same thing with Lightwave. Everybody has a different approach to everything, and that's Groovy.

toby
12-11-2005, 05:07 PM
That detail could easily be in the texture of the building. I've been experimenting trying to get area-light quality with spots myself, then I looked at a Pixar image, they only use plain spotlights, and it just didn't matter because their textures are so good.

I'm not saying to you should give up or spend weeks on a texture, I'm not :D my schedule doesn't allow enough time - just bringing up something that could help.