PDA

View Full Version : particle problems

Abigor
05-10-2003, 09:46 AM
hey guys. im havin some interesting problems with LW's intergated particle systems. heres the scene i have setup...

its a space scene with a rocket that needs to go threw several stages or booster seperation and what not. so its orbiting the earth, la de da, doing its thing, no problem. then wen its time for 1 stage of the rocket to seperate, there is a burst of particles and that stage falls away. HOWEVER!! the desired effect is that the particles shoot out from the seam where the 2 stages connect (like a leak in a steam pipe for lack of a better example, but all around the circumfrence, not just in one spot). what is happening though is that the particles are falling away very quickly since the rocket is movin... theyr gettin left behind. i want them to stay with the rocket and not be affected by the fact that they're parent is moving. the only solution i have though of is to have the rocket stay still and move the earth and stars in the background to get the illusion of motion, but this would invlove going back and re-animating, and i dont have time for that. i have tinkered and tinkered with the particle emitter properties and have not come up with anythin that fixes this problem. i have also tried adding wind to counteract the affect of the rocket movin threw space... still no luck. so if anyone who has more particle experience than me can shed some light on this problem, it would b most appreciated. i attached a quick pic to illustrate the problem incase no one understands.

Lightwolf
05-10-2003, 10:13 AM
Are you using PFX?
Have you tried the following:
Emitter->Etc.->Parent Motion = 100%?

Another option you might try:
Create a couple of discs in modeler. kill the polygons, jitter the points, attach them to the rocket and animate them by hand.
If you clone the object, and shift it in time, you can get both of them to build a loop (Have a look at the rain and snow example form the LW CD, there are pre-PFX scenes, when we still built that stuff manually).

Cheers,
Mike

Abigor
05-10-2003, 12:58 PM
i tried the parent motion option.. i think ihad it jacked up to 5000% and it still didnt do anything. but thanx for the thought. i think im just gonna go back and re-animate with a static rocket and moving background.

Lightwolf
05-10-2003, 01:10 PM
Hi Abigor,
just one more thought:
Particle Resistance should be set to zero...

Cheers,
Mike
(sorry, I didn't think of that in my first post).