PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 9! When?

Josamoto
12-09-2005, 01:00 PM
Hellow LW buds!

Does anyone know when LW 9 is finally coming out. Seems to me Newtek is leaving us a bit in the darkness about the new release.

Is this the norm with these guys!

I'm burning to try out the new software, I just can't wait anymore!

There's probably a thread on this somewhere else, a pointer will be appreciated!

mattclary
12-09-2005, 01:03 PM
According to NewTek, it should be out some time before Dec. 31. They have set no other date than "in the 4th quarter". Will they make that date? They may not even know.

MiniFireDragon
12-09-2005, 02:18 PM
They are doing something because the Front door to newtek hasn't changed Since the 6th of December. And the lightwave section since 11-17 when they sent out the newsletter.

All we can do now is wait and... well wait! Hehehe. I am anxious to see how the new modeling features in layout will work. Will make matchmoving object deformation so much easier... or atleast I hope.

Earl
12-09-2005, 02:50 PM
The last newsletter claimed LW v9 is "Coming Soon." So mark 'soon' on your calendar and you'll be set. :D

pooby
12-09-2005, 03:21 PM
We have to assume it's still on track or at least, not very far behind.
Newtek wouldn't be so mean as to suddenly announce another 3 month wait so soon to the initial estimated release would they?
Surely if they knew it was drifting behind they would have warned us earlier.. They are a proffessional outfit and I'm sure they have learnt their lesson after the awful delays on LW8.

tischbein3
12-09-2005, 03:26 PM
The last newsletter claimed LW v9 is "Coming Soon." So mark 'soon' on your calendar and you'll be set. :D

funny coincidence: On my calendar this day is already named as the
"when its finished" - day.

Panikos
12-09-2005, 03:31 PM
If Newtek was close, by now we would have sense that, no fancy video demos yet.

:angel:

tischbein3
12-09-2005, 03:34 PM
If Newtek was close, by now we would have sense that, no fancy video demos yet.

:angel:

...but we had our texture collection update.... :)

pooby
12-10-2005, 02:24 AM
my realistic side thinks they are not close.. It wouldn't surprise me if it's going to be a late summer - early september job..
I just think it's best to keep people informed, and I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Carm3D
12-10-2005, 04:24 AM
I hope your realistic side is way off, Poob. You just depressed the heck out of me. :grumpy:

badllarma
12-10-2005, 08:45 AM
my realistic side thinks they are not close.. It wouldn't surprise me if it's going to be a late summer - early september job..
I just think it's best to keep people informed, and I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.

If this was the case I'd think they would never get another pre order from the vast makority of users ever again :thumbsdow
Buying Lightwave 9.0 when I did already cost me my VT 4.5 upgrade in 2005 something I'm already starting to regret with a new colour correction plugin coming out soon for it that will not run on VT 2 :bangwall:
I had my stand alone licence for LW well before my VT 2 so all my commercial plugins are tied to that version. :rolleyes:

Still there is 21 days left before the end of the 4th quarter :thumbsup:

nthused
12-10-2005, 09:00 AM
I'm perfectly happy working with 8.5 right now and very patient to wait for a "ready" 9 release.
NewTek is a very good company with a very good record of keeping its custumers happy (especially as of late) - not perfect, as nobody is perfect but very good.
If out before Christmas, it'll be a wonderful present. If not until the new year, then we'll start 2006 on very good footing :)

pooby
12-10-2005, 11:10 AM
My speculations are worth aboslutely nothing so don't be depressed..

I have no idea whether its two weeks or 6 months..

Hope for the best, expect the worst.. that's my philosophy..

I would be very irritated though if we are kept in the dark right up until the end of the 4th quarter, only to be told it's going to be late.
I think it's best to warn people as SOON as you know it's not going to make it.
It's common decency when people are paying for pre-orders in my opinion. Pre ordering decisions are based on WHEN you get it as well as WHAT you are getting. I wouldn't pre-order something that wasn't going to be released for a year. I have paid to have LW9 before the end of the year and have every right to be fed up if I don't get what I paid for.

So, based on the fact that I have heard nothing, I am assuming that Newtek still are on target to release before the end of the month.

badllarma
12-10-2005, 11:16 AM
Yup i'm sure everything is on track also, would be nice to see some vids though.

Carm3D
12-10-2005, 11:59 AM
Yes that does concern me. Marketing / tutorial Videos prefaced Lightwave 8 by several months. No such videos have been released yet for 9. Does this mean we have at least several months to wait? Or were the pre-8 videos a short-lived tradition?

theo
12-10-2005, 12:15 PM
Yes that does concern me. Marketing / tutorial Videos prefaced Lightwave 8 by several months. No such videos have been released yet for 9. Does this mean we have at least several months to wait?

If the videos start in the first two weeks of January we can all safely assume that there will be a several month wait as I think videos for Newtek (and Proton does a bang-up job no doubt) are a Balm of Gilead of sorts to soothe the LW masses.

Now, would this be the time to start allowing the nuerons in your brain to start unravelling? No! Because I swear, if Newtek is late and people start griping the bugaboo out of these forums I am going to slay me a dragon and and guzzle down the entire contents of his circulatory system so I will be better prepared to swallow all of the vociferous screechings that will fill these forums for three months.

Auger
12-10-2005, 03:50 PM
As digital verve pointed out in another thread, LightWave 9 will be demonstrated on the 12th in London along with Fusion 5: http://www.eyeonline.com/web/eyeonw...er020_dec5.html

Doesn't mean it's going to be released soon, but...

Jon

prospector
12-10-2005, 04:27 PM
They were waiting for me to upgrade, which I just did...so any time now :thumbsup:

Bytehawk
12-10-2005, 04:45 PM
If the videos start in the first two weeks of January we can all safely assume that there will be a several month wait as I think videos for Newtek (and Proton does a bang-up job no doubt) are a Balm of Gilead of sorts to soothe the LW masses.

Now, would this be the time to start allowing the nuerons in your brain to start unravelling? No! Because I swear, if Newtek is late and people start griping the bugaboo out of these forums I am going to slay me a dragon and and guzzle down the entire contents of his circulatory system so I will be better prepared to swallow all of the vociferous screechings that will fill these forums for three months.

that is a fabulous idea, can I join you ?

Gui Lo
12-10-2005, 10:49 PM
The vidz of LW8 started before siggraph so I think the marketing team are changing their atrategy. They gave us a taster at this years Siggraph and maybe they hope to make a big splash when LW9 is finally released.

Gui Lo

colkai
12-11-2005, 03:35 AM
that is a fabulous idea, can I join you ?
Leave the Dragons alone, they are highly mis-represented creatures! :D
Me, I'm picking up my swords and Axe and heading for the nearest Basilisk. :p

lardbros
12-11-2005, 11:19 AM
Proton has spoken!!!

He says videos will begin this week!! Just saying what has been said in another thread. YAY

Now everyone will wet their pants, and i'll laugh because i caused it. Haha

theo
12-11-2005, 06:06 PM
Well, Proton's speakings have come at a rather opportune time for this massive and rather scaly beast I was about to slay.

Shoo beast...off with you....flee to the house of colkai.....

colkai
12-12-2005, 02:21 AM
I'm sure I can find him some suitable Trolls for food. :p

Lottmedia
12-12-2005, 10:37 AM
If this was the case I'd think they would never get another pre order from the vast makority of users ever again :thumbsdow :

Well, history will tell you that is simply not true. This would be by far not the first missed release. If people did reason like that NT would not have any customers by now.

pixelinfected
12-12-2005, 02:36 PM
We are at end of year, lw will arrive when is ready, newtek dev guys has did a lot of work, now i hope they will have good holydays for Christmas, then after holydays they will be strong and relaxed, they will be back to their code pages and finish the polishing work, and release a great release of lw9.

i hate to be anxious and impatience to see a new release that would be finished, actual lw 8.5 is stable and strong, optimal solution for ur works, when lw9 is ready newtek realease it and all will be happy.

do you prefer to reiceve a bugged lw9 under your christmass' tree or do you prefer to start new year with a powerful and renoved lw9, cleaned form bugs thanks to the beta testing work?

my best wish Newtek
happy christmass and happy new year !!!
all together!!!

Qexit
12-13-2005, 03:35 AM
If this was the case I'd think they would never get another pre order from the vast makority of users ever again :thumbsdow
Buying Lightwave 9.0 when I did already cost me my VT 4.5 upgrade in 2005 something I'm already starting to regret with a new colour correction plugin coming out soon for it that will not run on VT 2 :bangwall:Would that be the Bob Tasa offering ?

I had my stand alone licence for LW well before my VT 2 so all my commercial plugins are tied to that version. :rolleyes: You would still need a separate LW license for those plugins since you cannot tie dongle authorised third party LW plugins to the 'integrated' VT version of LW7.5/8.X. This problem has been around for a while and is still unresolved.

Still there is 21 days left before the end of the 4th quarter :thumbsup:I think a release by/before January 31st 2006 is probably more realistic than December 31st. I only say this because it took Newtek longer to release LW8.5 than they had anticipated which will have had a knock-on effect to LW9. I don't think they are going to miss by much...but I do think they will be a little late. I only hope they don't wait till midday Dec 31st to break the news :santa:

mattclary
12-13-2005, 05:55 AM

Your realistic side is a little unrealistic. No way it will be past the first quarter.

KillMe
12-13-2005, 06:03 AM
dont give up hope maybe 8.5 was delayed becuase they were all ignouring it and working on lw 9

lardbros
12-13-2005, 06:10 AM
I think delay is inevitable... and it doesn't worry me too much. They wouldn't be ending the Vue deal on the 31st if it was going to be delayed by 6 months.

I'll start worrying when they bring the deal back on and say "Now on until July 06!!". hmmm, that would make me cry.

badllarma
12-13-2005, 07:53 AM
Would that be the Bob Tasa offering ?

You would still need a separate LW license for those plugins since you cannot tie dongle authorised third party LW plugins to the 'integrated' VT version of LW7.5/8.X. This problem has been around for a while and is still unresolved.

I think a release by/before January 31st 2006 is probably more realistic than December 31st. I only say this because it took Newtek longer to release LW8.5 than they had anticipated which will have had a knock-on effect to LW9. I don't think they are going to miss by much...but I do think they will be a little late. I only hope they don't wait till midday Dec 31st to break the news :santa:

Hi Kevin,
Re
Yup thats the one Ref BobT
Asked him directly about the plugin says it only supports VT3 +

Yes know about the plugins I was just going to do the basic software update to 4.5(with the lower version of Lightwave) as I already have everything for my orginal (8.5 / 9.0) copy (and both are running on the same machine so there is really no issues. Will opt for hardware upgrade when they get it running HD :D

I'm thinking now a January + Release as well :bangwall: but deep down I think we all know that. Still plenty more time for :beerchug: over Christmas.

belseth
12-17-2005, 11:29 PM
A few months ago I had the choice of jumping ship or sticking with Lightwave for a while longer. I did it because I was told that it would definately release 4th quarter and they were hoping for early December. Well that didn't happen. Right after I got the Lightwave upgrade I found out it didn't properly support Zbrush which left me regretting the decision to stick with Lightwave. I committed to Lightwave for a project starting the first of January based on the upgrade. I figured that gave them a little room but Newtek has been dead silent. I was hoping for subpixel support in 8.5 but it didn't happen. They are seriously falling behind other packages in some basic things like this. If they blow this release it's the last upgrade for me. With what I spent on Worley software to shore up Lightwave and the 8.0/8.5 upgrade I could have made the switch to Maya. Unless they make the release I may switch to Maya before we start anyway. Modo already blows away the modeller and I'm still fight gimbel lock issues. There are bugs I've been dealing with for four releases now. We're talking a dozen different machines and several operating systems and they are still there. Little things like the zoom tool keeps dying in layout and I have to go up to the magnifying glass instead of keyboard shortcuts. A real pain and you'd think they'd fix it. I skipped two releases and was shocked how little fundimentally it had changed. That leads me to believe they aren't planning to change LIghtwave. The improved renderer is one of the things I hung on for but if the release is delayed several months that won't help me. Without several of the enhancements I'm not sure how to do our current project. If it were major technical leaps I might understand but like I say most of what I'm waiting for is what everyone is already doing. Guys you really have to get your act together. Getting hard to hang on with Maya as cheap as it is.

lardbros
12-18-2005, 02:29 AM
A few months ago I had the choice of jumping ship or sticking with Lightwave for a while longer. I did it because I was told that it would definately release 4th quarter and they were hoping for early December. Well that didn't happen. Right after I got the Lightwave upgrade I found out it didn't properly support Zbrush which left me regretting the decision to stick with Lightwave. I committed to Lightwave for a project starting the first of January based on the upgrade. I figured that gave them a little room but Newtek has been dead silent. I was hoping for subpixel support in 8.5 but it didn't happen. They are seriously falling behind other packages in some basic things like this. If they blow this release it's the last upgrade for me. With what I spent on Worley software to shore up Lightwave and the 8.0/8.5 upgrade I could have made the switch to Maya. Unless they make the release I may switch to Maya before we start anyway. Modo already blows away the modeller and I'm still fight gimbel lock issues. There are bugs I've been dealing with for four releases now. We're talking a dozen different machines and several operating systems and they are still there. Little things like the zoom tool keeps dying in layout and I have to go up to the magnifying glass instead of keyboard shortcuts. A real pain and you'd think they'd fix it. I skipped two releases and was shocked how little fundimentally it had changed. That leads me to believe they aren't planning to change LIghtwave. The improved renderer is one of the things I hung on for but if the release is delayed several months that won't help me. Without several of the enhancements I'm not sure how to do our current project. If it were major technical leaps I might understand but like I say most of what I'm waiting for is what everyone is already doing. Guys you really have to get your act together. Getting hard to hang on with Maya as cheap as it is.

Gotta say, i never remember anyone saying it was definitely going to be released at the beginning of December. It was ALWAYS 4th quarter... and therre has to be some extra time for issues. I've also never had a problem with the magnifying glass in layout either, that one's very odd. I'd reckon it's more of a mouse/tablet driver issue. Lightwave has been through a very tough transitional period, and still is, but LW9 is the beginning of a new era. Between LW6 and 8 things were rotten, as you probably know, problems occurred with the main programming team, leaving to become rivals, but leaving LW in a mess. New people have come in and are sorting many things for the LW9 release, and it's truthfully the biggest change since 6. The interface may not change, which is a shame, because we all like a new look, but LW9 is heading in a direction we all need it to. So long as it is more open to 3rd parties, then there is no stopping plugin developers to create their own Subdivision routines for modeller (fingers crossed), or many new features that are currently available in MUCH higher end software and MUCH more expensive too. You can't really compare LW's features to that of MAYA's simply for the fact of cost. MAYA is hugely more expensive that LW, especially now with this rediculous 20% off at the moment.

pooby
12-18-2005, 02:48 AM
For many proffessional users, money doesn't enter the equation

lardbros
12-18-2005, 03:59 AM
Okay... maybe for some, but surely it must come into question in some shape or form... whether it's unlimited free render nodes, or the cost of upgrades. Is it really a "money is no object" type of thing. It's a business, so the costing has to work out.

I'm a professional user myself, as in a freelancer, and have done work for various people, but buying one of the high-end packages just wouldn't be justifiable in my situation where i'm working alone (which is where it makes the largest impact.) I understand that animation houses are better off getting the most expansive toolset that money can offer and LW is failing is this respect. The studios that once were governed by LW are now moving across to others... and probably quite understandably too.

Of course, in the whole scheme of things, traditional artists spend thousands each year on canvases and high quality oils/acrylics so in that respect price of 3d software is probably not so big an issue.

pixelinfected
12-18-2005, 04:07 AM
like professional i think you decide to risk a lot, i never and say never risk to use new version of software in production before to test it, no one software in new release can be use safely, no maya, no xsi, no lw, no max and more, every developer society release immediately few month after mayor release a minor release to correct bugs, be cause is common working, and like old developer i understand why.

until you haven't an update you can't know if what of new implementation work, i remember the new and wonderful subdivision surface of maya2.5, that are not rendereable... be cause they add for renderman and not for internal maya render or mental ray, until exit maya3.1 or 3.2 update....
and so on.

anyway.
lw and zbrush work fine, if you know how to use that.
i'm working on a guide from lw to zbrush and back with good and fine support with high fine dectails, and low render times, under lw8.5...
i hope the buying of maya solve your problems, but the time to learn to use it, to avoid its bug (i use also maya and it's not a bug free software), understanding of mel updating from version to version, that cause you updating of al script and plugin every maior version, where most of your old mel work not so good or not work (i talk about maior and complex plug not simple and few line of code scirpt)....
happy maya.
check on egroups.com there is a groups of lw and maya user where they use mixed software, be cause probably you come back for something like render engine or other.
have nice day.

Gui Lo
12-18-2005, 06:55 AM
Hi belseth,
After reading most articles about good TV serial producers they tend to mix several 3d apps in production. It seems that production time is too valuable to depend on any one software.

It seems you upgraded too quickly since NewTek released a feature list for both LW8.5 and LW9. In the LW8.5 feature list it never mentions subpixel or direct compatability with Zbrush. Like me I bet you are intregued with what pixelinfected said and can't wait to hear his method.

You must have done fantastic work with LW in the past to impress the clients and get the project to do a TV serial.

Look forward to seeing some WIPs.

Gui Lo

Red_Oddity
12-18-2005, 07:02 AM
Well, this probably has been said many many times before...
Maya WON'T solve all your problems, we run Maya here as well and let me tell you :

Alias doesnt' care much about bug fixing, every point release they introduce new ones.
Maya's new features always need an update before they can be used in a production environment.
Every point release breaks almost all our commercial plugins, meaning you won't be able to use your 10000 dollars worth of plugins on the latest Maya, you have to wait for the plugins to get updated (and pay up for updates more often than not) or just keep working in a previous Maya.
Before Maya works the way YOU want it to you'll have written a vast library of your own MEL scripts (most scripts found on the web predate V4.5 and are useless), learning to script takes time, lots of time, time you won't be able to spend on production.
Maya is as buggy as LW, enter the wrong MEL command or click the wrong button and <POOF> Windows/OSX desktop, no error commands, just...no more Maya, start over please.
One (that is 1) MentalRay render node costs $800.
You think Maya doesn't have problems with gimbal locking? PFFFFBWAHAHAHAHA...stop it man, you're killing me...okay joke is over, serious now, you really thought that?

And i could go on, but i won't as that would be pretty pointless...
All i'm saying is, Maya isn't the hyped up wunderkind Alias let's you believe...it's 3d software, nuff said.

And what is up with the impatience? So you have to wait a couple of months more, it's not as if LW comes with an experation date and stops functioning (half-arsed as it sometimes may seem).

Oh, and don't go pointing out all that is wrong with LW, i know what is wrong with LW, most people in here do (i could make an equally long and embarassing list), i bump into those things on a daily basis and i work around it or do what i always do in a situation like that...swear at the monitor, call NT and LW bad names, cool down, use my brain and work out a viable solution...Hey pretty much like what i do on a daily basis when doing a job that requires Maya, what a coincidence.

MikeK
12-18-2005, 07:32 AM
funny coincidence: On my calendar this day is already named as the
"when its finished" - day.

Yes, but they did not put Forever in the name. :)

Mike Kuehn

theo
12-18-2005, 08:45 AM
A digital pipe should not have to depend on an upgrade. It is a bit spooky to base future production output on an upgrade that has yet to be released.

It does not matter who the developer is...upgrades are like vapor until release. You can see it and you can feel it but there ain't much you can do with it. Any professional user that allows him/herself to get bent out of shape over an upgrade is really wasting valuable energy that can be better applied to current pipe management.

And as someone has stated already to base production on an untested (in the context of your own pipe) upgrade is also a bit spooky.

A pipe should, frankly, be making money on software that is a couple of years old. That sounds insane I know but the reality is: the latest and greatest is needful and critical but in terms of profitable production it is inferior to the tested and proven.

So my advice to the pros is to sit tight and buy the upgrade two months after the release and after you have seen the hobbyists dig out all of the bugs. :D

I can see why hobbyists get worked up about release dates because they are more of a user base that is impulse-driven. Similar to speaker-heads or the like. These types are super useful to the community here though. I say let the hobbyists prevail because they are a great lobbyists for getting things done around here.

pixelinfected
12-18-2005, 03:32 PM
the trick for lw and zbrush to work faster, but not only for lw is simple :
1) build a general shape with displacement until you arrive to have a good general shape sculped shape, you must balance the dectail that you want to extrude.
2) build fine and superficial dectail like bump map.

then in lw use it like displacement with normaldisplacement1,2 plugin and bump like common normal map. if you need special dectails you can use tb_normalmap or treeshader.p that work fine with normal map and bone under lw.
these plugin are free and you can find it by flay.

remember that you can trasform bump in a displacement map in every times on zbrush easely, if you decide to do all with displacement, but are so high to manage under every render engine... better displacement for general shape + normal or bump for other kind of dectails.

i can't post more, i'm working on guide about step by step workflowm and now pixologic are reading and checking it.
as soon as possibile they publish it on their web.

you can do and work with lw and zbrush without big pain.
you ... can.... do.... (quote from "young frankestein of mel brooks", i liberally translate from italian version, i hope is alignet with original version)

wilgory
12-18-2005, 08:25 PM
Some times things take longer then expected. As for LW 9 I would hope that they would be upfront and inform their customers when LW 9 will be released even if it isn't exactly as planned. It is much more important to release a quality product then something that is crap, on time in my opinion. I hope the LW teams takes time to incorporate all of the new features that the user base has requested and hopefully a new interface like the vx project on Newtek Europe user interviews site. I hope that they inform us of their progress and perhaps allow Pre Order canidates the chance to beta test the product before it is released if they would like too!! Hopefully a completely working .FBX plugin is one of the much needed improvements to LW.

-Good Luck and Have a great Holiday Break :lwicon:
Greg
http://www.wilgory.com

pixelinfected
12-19-2005, 02:45 AM
Not so simple.
Unfortunate TB's plugins don't work on Macs. Hence, we're waiting for NT to provide native support for animatable Normal Displacements. :bangwall:

i know, i did a guide without it, i have many friends that work on mac.
what do you mean about animatable normaldisplacement?

holeycow
12-19-2005, 05:48 AM
I recently pre paid for my upgrade to 9 through an Australian distributer who informed me that they were expecting 9 to start shipping towards the end of Feb.

To me, this sounds realistic. I hate having to wait, but if they're fixing bugs, thats better than me swearing about software being shipped when it's not ready.

Give the guys a break, they got 8.5 to us, now lets all just enjoy christmas and be grateful that they care.

pixelinfected
12-19-2005, 07:01 AM
He means normal map shader that works with bones.
for the MAC
ok, only tb_normalmap work fine with normal map.

StereoMike
12-19-2005, 07:31 AM
seriously, I don't want an app, that has been rushed out to meet the impatient expectations of some users. NT shouldn't even think of q4 or christmas, if they are still writing code... and they do obviously, cause Proton mentioned, that the cage on Catmull-Clark will look different from what you see in the video, ergo there's still something to code.

Stewdent101
12-20-2005, 01:42 PM
I just recieved a newsletter from newtek europe and it looks like we will be able to download LW 9 when it is ready "LightWave 9 upgrade: Fastrack download for European pre-purchasers" as they have installed a dedicated download server apparently offering 20*the speed of LW 8 downloads

Tiger
12-20-2005, 02:53 PM
Nice...just read it :)
No cd then?

Verlon
12-20-2005, 03:08 PM
While I would hate for LW to be late, I could live with it for a more stable application (though honestly it doesn't crash all that often for me....I must not be working it hard enough). What I would really like is to be informed.

By now, they should be aware whether or not they will be able to ship this quarter. There are only 10 days left and a MAJOR US Holiday tucked in the middle of those days (albeit not on a normal business day).

Take a minute to let us know what is going on. I pre-ordered months ago under assurances that NewTek would NOT be repeating the LW8 release. Well, let us know if it is going to be late. Give us a new estimate on a release.

I would be VERY disappointed if December 31 rolled by without an announcement from NT about LW shipping (or perhaps a slight delay due to the CDs not being burned yet). If they are not annoucing yet, the release date better be close. They should know by now if they won't be shipping until March.

prospector
12-20-2005, 04:29 PM
They should know by now if they won't be shipping

They know, 10 days left, 2 are weekend days leaving 8 working days, 1 is Fri before Christmas and 1 on New Years Eve, both are usually off or only half days with nothing getting done anyways so that leaves 6 working days, lets say 2 to burn CDs and 2 to get them mailed, that leaves 2 actual working days till the 31st. If they don't know if they will be done in 2 days then there is something wrong.

Tho I'm thinking back to the Amiga days and was there ever a ver that WAS shipped when the end of the target quarter came to an end?

But alas, I'm still playin with Vue so...........

Celshader
12-20-2005, 06:18 PM
For many proffessional users, money doesn't enter the equation

That would explain why so many professionals I know struggle with debt. :(

I can picture the wealthiest studios sparing no expense on software, but individual users should be more careful with their $$$.

inquisitive
12-20-2005, 11:39 PM
Has any of you US based individuals been able to register your LW9 upgrade? If so, how? Does the dealer you purchased the item notify Newtek? or is it done some other way? I was unable to find a LW9 selection in the registration site. I guess that means It wont be released next week. :)

SplineGod
12-21-2005, 01:06 AM
That would explain why so many professionals I know struggle with debt. :(

I can picture the wealthiest studios sparing no expense on software, but individual users should be more careful with their $$$.

LOL! Aint that the truth! Too funny Jen :)

pooby
12-21-2005, 02:06 AM
Labour costs FAR outweigh software prices for a commercial studio..

If you're going to pay someone a lot of money to do something for you, they need to be able to do it efficiently.. If that means spending an extra 5000 every now and again, then so be it. It's better than getting stuck.

My earlier comment doesn't apply to all, that's why I said 'many'.

lardbros
12-21-2005, 02:34 AM
Yeah! Agreed!

Anyway... (off topic, but the thread has been a bit) Pooby just some genuinely interested questions coming your way. I was wondering if you still use Lightwave for work at all? and if you have pre-ordered LW9 yet? If you no longer use it much, what keeps you here at Newtek?

...and the work on your website is very nice! LOVE the Steve Buscemi animation, it's just spot on, and also the Jaws parody; great stuff indeed. :D