PDA

View Full Version : How to sharpen subpatch edges selectively

kylekoch
12-09-2005, 06:17 AM
Hello all, Say if I lathed a square into a ring and want the edges to be sharper in subpatch mode. When I increased the subpatch weight it always sharpens the cross edges also and I dont want this. Can I make it sharpen just the edges I want?
Thx so much for any help
Kyle

BeeVee
12-09-2005, 06:29 AM
You can sharpen points, and not edges currently.

B

Wonderpup
12-09-2005, 06:56 AM
Hi kylekoch,

I've found that you can selectively sharpen groups of selected points, if you use the 'i' key to call up the points info panel- it's a bit long winded but you can do it.

BeeVee
12-09-2005, 07:07 AM
You don't need to do that! Crikey that would be longwinded. :) You just need to put yourself in the subpatch weightmap at the bottom of the screen and then use the Airbrush tool to brush the weight interactively. If you want to see the changes to the weight (as well as the shape) put your viewport in Weight Shade mode...

B

toonafish
12-09-2005, 07:19 AM
You just need to put yourself in the subpatch weightmap at the bottom of the screen and then use the Airbrush tool to brush the weight interactively. If you want to see the changes to the weight (as well as the shape) put your viewport in Weight Shade mode...
B

That would be longwinded beevee ;-)

just select all the points you want to edit, select SubPatchWeight, activate the Weights Tool, set the point falloff to "none" and drag the mouse.

BeeVee
12-09-2005, 07:41 AM
heheh, that's true, but only if you want all the points to have the same weight... if you want them to have different weights, airbrush is more interactive... ;)

B

kylekoch
12-09-2005, 08:35 AM
Hey , thx guys, in this case Im doing a spaceship tute(go figure) so the all points the same will be more appropriate technique in this case. The airbrush deal sounds cool, but Ive no Idea how to do it yet. This seems like a powerful deal to be able to sharpen only certain edges. Is there a good tutorial that might help in this. I realize the manual will address it so Ill look some more in there. When I get vs 9 Ill buy a hard manual, the pdfs are not the same! Does anyone know how much they cost?

toby
12-10-2005, 09:08 PM
Unfortunately increasing the subpatch weight will sharpen every edge that it's attached to :

toby
12-10-2005, 09:11 PM
Instead you can add some geometry with things like Bandsaw -