PDA

View Full Version : First try at baking: Baaaaad!

Johnny
12-08-2005, 05:56 PM
I followed a tutorial step by step, and thinking there might be something about my scene which is a little wierd.

I baked, got a wierd looking image (like a wireframe) applied it to my surfs, diffuse off, luminosity to 100, and hit render.

Not only did the render take longer than the non-bake way, but the shadows are gone, the textures are wrong, and it looks like there's some kind of polygon overlay over my image.

I'm hoping somebody can point me to a beginner's mistake here..thanks for any help!

J

Captain Obvious
12-08-2005, 06:01 PM
Are you sure you baked the right thing?

Johnny
12-08-2005, 06:09 PM
Hmmm..what do you mean "the right thing?"

I made a copy of my object file where all is on 1 layer, made the UV map (Atlas) and pointed Baker to that map when I set up the surf in the Scene for suface baker.

I did notice that "Continuous Map" was greyed out, and that seems like something I'd want. Also, my baked image was a mere 1.3MB; I'd selected 1280 as the image size to get good resolution...this baked image is splotchy with artifacts.

These things were checked: Bake Entire Object (to image) bake Color, Bake Diffuse, Bake Illumination. Bake shaders was unchecked. View image was on but not AA or Shading noise reduction.

Thanks for any clues; hope I've answered your question!

J

Johnny
12-08-2005, 06:16 PM
OK..before baking or after baking?

thanks!

J

toby
12-08-2005, 10:48 PM
!!!
He's right, I've always baked to a 24 bit image because the alpha's useless/you don't need it anyway - but I just tried it again in 8.5 and it doesn't screw up the image anymore!

Another tip is to put a small limited region around just a part of the surface to be baked. You don't have to render the entire scene image for the bake render to start, and you can stop it after the bake finishes.

The bake may take longer than a standard frame, this is normal, but since the point is that you only have to render the GI once it's well worth it.

Sometimes you don't need anti-aliasing in the baked image, that can save you a lot of time too.

tischbein3
12-09-2005, 01:03 AM
!!!
Sometimes you don't need anti-aliasing in the baked image, that can save you a lot of time too.

Yeah, sometimes a small blur in your 2d editing application can save your day :)

Weetos
12-09-2005, 01:48 AM
I'd add to this that you can set the render size as low as 16x16, since it doesn't matter for the baking process, so it renders faster and requires less RAM

Johnny
12-09-2005, 03:37 AM
OK..I'm going to take a look at all of those ideas today..

but, can anyone tell my why my baked image looks so crummy? I mean: NASTY!

splotchy, super-heavy banding, wierd artifacts..worse than the lowest-quality render you could do, and then some!

I've read that Baking produces high-quality images, but whatever I'm doing is producing low-quality images.

thanks!

J

toby
12-09-2005, 09:26 PM
I think I heard something about area lights causing problems. If that's not it, post an image or better yet a scene!

papou
12-10-2005, 07:00 AM
...The bake may take longer than a standard frame, this is normal...
not so normal, Surface baker is not multithreaded, not networkable, AA not work the same way. I would love to see a update for that too.

toby
12-10-2005, 10:39 AM
Well, that's *why* it's normal that it's slower :)

Also keep in mind how much bigger the baked textures usually are -

Johnny
12-10-2005, 12:55 PM
I think I heard something about area lights causing problems. If that's not it, post an image or better yet a scene!

Ah...ok..I'd been using 1 area light, but now that I've been pointed to spots with shadow maps and that whole spinning light thing, I may get a different result..

J