PDA

View Full Version : Parenting . . I'm really not this stupid . .am I ?

dankayaker
12-08-2005, 07:15 AM
Been using LW 8 on a G5 for a few months now, aside from certain quarks I like it OK. I'm trying to simply parent one logo to the back of another so that when one rotates the other reveals on it's back. No luck, can't get one to follow the other. Tried selecting the front logo - Motion options - choosiing the object I want parented . . . nothing.

Help

Thomas
12-08-2005, 08:19 AM
Not sure if I exactly understood but...

Try to parent both logos to a null and rotate the null.

Regards
Thomas

Wonderpup
12-08-2005, 09:29 AM
Have a look in the schematic view- it will show a link if the parenting is in place. If not, still in the schematic view try selecting the would be child object and then control clicking on the object you want to parent it to - they shoud be linked.

KillMe
12-08-2005, 11:27 AM
if your meaning that its not jumping to the parents location when you parent it - you have parent in place on and will be where you left it when it was parented however if you move the parent it should go with it

dankayaker
12-09-2005, 08:24 AM
They are showing a linkage in the schematic view . . this really is pathetic, something so simple. All indications are that they are linked, but when I rotate the parent (null object in my latest attempt), the child object just sits there.

Wonderpup
12-09-2005, 08:44 AM
Hi dankayaker,

It might be worth making sure that you haven't reversed the child parent relationship here- it sounds ridiculous I know, but I've done this in past- thinking I'm rotating the parent but in fact I've messed up the parenting and am actualy rotating the child.

hrgiger
12-09-2005, 11:46 AM
Select your child object and hit m to bring up the motion panel. Make sure that your parent object is selected in the parent item dropdown list.

dankayaker
12-12-2005, 07:35 AM
Tried everything suggested . . .very weird, I ended up going back into Modeler and making the two models into one to avoid the Parenting issue.
I've done this type of thing in Electric Image, AfterEffects, Combustion . . . . . . . . . . . . so I understand the priciple . . . . .very disturbing though, it's only one of several very odd behaviors I see in LW.

thanks to everyone for chiming in.

sirius156
12-12-2005, 09:20 AM
that is so strange :lwicon:
[email protected]

KillMe
12-12-2005, 09:35 AM
uninstall it and then try again - maybe something hinky going on and offena reinstall works wonders on such things

Dodgy
12-12-2005, 10:12 AM
Ways to parent one object to another.

1>Select child. Bring up motion options and select the parent in the Parent Drop down menu.
2>Open the Scene Editor, select the child(ren) and drag and drop it onto the parent.
3>Open the schematic view, select the child(ren) and ctrl-click the parent.

Whether the child moves or not is dependent on whether parent in position is on (this can be found in the options menu, press 'o' to bring that up)

dankayaker
12-12-2005, 01:41 PM
Thanks Dodgy,

That is a nice list . .I printed it.
What's weird is the fact that I did follow option 1 & 3 within my project to no avail. I just set up another project like the first one and it works. There must be something about the model that was not right in the first project.

thanks everyone