PDA

View Full Version : 3DWorld mag - Qs needed for LightWave Q&A

ben_smith
12-08-2005, 02:08 AM
3DWorld mag - Qs needed for LightWave Q&A

Kids

It's LightWave's turn to host the 4 page lead Q+A in the next issue of 3DWorld magazine. We don't have any Q's worthy of 4 pages right now. So if you've got a four page problem please write in and let us know!

ben

PS. Problems only with computer graphics and lightwave, thanks very much. For all other problems you should probably just try turning it off and back on again.

starbase1
12-08-2005, 03:38 AM
Something that tends to come up a lot here, and generally gets messy answers would be working with Poser and Lightwave - specifically getting the posed and textured figures into LW.

I like the cheap resources available for poser, and things like the walk / run cycle generator, but the environment for the program is very weak compared with LW.

(At the moment I mainly use a sequence of tyopically 10 OBJ exports as a sequence of morph targets, abd ajust curve rtension to acvoid sudden shifts in direction as it passes through the individual poses...

Might be handy to get some light setups over too...

Nick

BeeVee
12-08-2005, 03:59 AM
Using BVH mocap files with LightWave is one that comes up often enough...

B

Matt
12-08-2005, 04:21 AM
(At the moment I mainly use a sequence of tyopically 10 OBJ exports as a sequence of morph targets, abd ajust curve rtension to acvoid sudden shifts in direction as it passes through the individual poses...

Jesus Nick! Lay of the booze eh!

:D

Wonderpup
12-08-2005, 04:58 AM
I would really like to see somthing on how to use lightwave and Vue infinate together, the best way to combine the two. This would be quite topical at present, with the upgrade offer NT are offering.

beverins
12-08-2005, 12:02 PM
How to integrate LW into making games and/or mods? Let's say an "aged" game like Medal Of Honor. How to use LW to make a complete graphical mod? Perhaps something more ambitious - how to do a complete graphical mod for Half Life 2? I know that there are webpages devoted to modding, but since LW seems to be all but forgotten in the modding community (at least in my opinion), it is hard to find informations. TO be honest, that could fill a whole magazine, and not just 4 pages of course.

beverins
12-08-2005, 12:08 PM
even though there are great tutorials on the web, perhaps something about screamernet and proper setting up - perhaps to get macs, pcs and linux to be able to screamernet together at the same time without too much hassle. Even though the preferred method is mounting network drives, perhaps a discussion on the use of UNC path names and setting the cfg files properly for UNC path names... I think that will be a squeeze for 4 pages.

3dworks
12-08-2005, 12:35 PM
Using BVH mocap files with LightWave is one that comes up often enough...

B

Something that tends to come up a lot here, and generally gets messy answers would be working with Poser and Lightwave - specifically getting the posed and textured figures into LW.

I like the cheap resources available for poser, and things like the walk / run cycle generator, but the environment for the program is very weak compared with LW.

Nick

oh yes, it would be fantastic to see a poser + lightwave + motionbuilder workflow tutorial!!!

markus

Paul_Boland
12-08-2005, 01:32 PM
oh yes, it would be fantastic to see a poser + lightwave + motionbuilder workflow tutorial!!!

markus

I would like to see this too.

I also like the suggestion above about mod making using Lightwave.

starbase1
12-09-2005, 04:38 AM
Jesus Nick! Lay of the booze eh!

:D

I'll have you know that was caused by a lack of caffeine, not an excess of alcohol!

paulhart
12-09-2005, 10:39 AM
Another vote for a Vue Infinite + Lightwave integration tutorial, especially since "Fusion whatever" hasn't got out of the gate yet. Such things as how to get a textured object into Vue, the 'gotchas', optimizations, lighting, camera moves. I find that I struggle more than seems necessary and which textures will make it in, remembering layers issues, etc.... lots of pieces need to be in place to get a really fine result. Shouldn't be this difficult, particularly since Lightwave and Vue are running a "Special" together???!!!!
Paul

Signal to Noise
12-09-2005, 11:50 AM
Yep, a Vue Infinite & LightWave series would be great! As a subscriber to 3D World I would look forward to that issue arriving :)

Another one I'd like to see and comes up from time to time here and at CGSociety (CGTalk) is working with CAD files and LightWave.

cresshead
12-09-2005, 11:56 AM
i'd def vote for Using BVH mocap files with LightWave :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

that's a HUGE deal for many people who still have NO clue how to use motion capture files [BVH] with their 3d characters.....

PLEASE do this!!!!! :D

colkai
12-10-2005, 04:55 AM
I'll have you know that was caused by a lack of caffeine, not an excess of alcohol!
Yeah, sure... we believe ya dude. :p

lardbros
12-10-2005, 05:25 AM
I would like to see the process of building a structure from blueprints or from CAD drawings/files. There is a distinct lack of tutorials on this area, and as lightwave lacks some extensive snapping tools it could be interesting to see how this is worked around by people in the biz.

Looking forward to any tutorial on Lightwave anyway, no matter what it is! :thumbsup: