PDA

View Full Version : simplify help

Shaneckel
12-07-2005, 03:10 PM
I'm trying to create a simple room and it seems like the grid snap dosen't work. and if it does work, the points don't allign.

say I have the top left point of a poly on the gridline and the top right will be either 1 millimeter above it, or below it. no matter how close I zoom in to get it exact.

I'm use to a program called hammermill (half-life mapping program) that would only have points where the grid met. I wouldn't mind working in that type of atmosphere here.

I think I might just be too use to this basic program and having a great deal of trouble moving into this.

if you're familiar with both, please settle a troubled mind.

evenflcw
12-07-2005, 07:02 PM
Modelers snapping simply doesn't work that way, for the most part. If a point is already at an offset from the gridsnap unit it will stay offset. There is one exception however. If you use the Snap Drag Tool, the points will first snap to the gridsnap unit, eliminating the offset. (Acctually it snaps the point under the cursor to the grid, the rest comply).

Acquaint yourself with the Numeric panel for the Snap Drag Tool (just hit n when tool is active). If you set the option Drag Set to All Points it will act simular to the Move Tool; If you set it to One Point, it will act simular to the Drag Tool; Except it will properly snap to grid aswell as to other points in the foreground(!) .

Another option would be to figure out the smallest snap distance in Hammermill and set Modelers Grid Snap option to Fixed and set a fixed value.

Shaneckel
12-07-2005, 10:41 PM
"snap drag tool" - very helpful, thank You, I'll be back with more.