PDA

View Full Version : ball as a ground plain ?

fronzel
12-07-2005, 09:03 AM
I'd like to know how to set up charchecters and objects to match the orientation of the poly normal they stand on.

like giant characters or objects standing on the globe.

would be so cool if there was a way to slide them or move them on the ground and have there feet still stuck to the ground.

or like walking up and over a hill.

any ideas or links ?

thanks

fronzel
12-07-2005, 02:38 PM
There was a tutorial about a year ago that was about a army of marching robots,

somehow the bots were linked to an animated texture that was mapped on to the geometry. I think a similar technic would work here.

I can't find it any where…

peteb
12-08-2005, 03:45 AM
I'm not an expert at this sort of stuff but have a few ideas what might work. For a globe can't you just creat a null at it's centre and then parent a master null that controls the character to the globe null? When you rotate it as long as the master null is planted at the characters feet and the Globe null is bang in the middle of the globe then it should rotate the character correctly.

As for hills could you create a spline path using the points from the hill model and again get a null to follow this which in turn you parent your master null too. Like I say I'm not really knowledgeable in this area so you probably already know more then me.

pete b

Wonderpup
12-08-2005, 05:04 AM
Hi fronzel,

there is a way to apply a texture as a motion modifier in the graph editor- so you can use the same texture a displacement map and in theory your object follows the contour. Sorry i can't recall the exact name.