PDA

View Full Version : A nice little computer for LightWave...

nthused
12-07-2005, 07:09 AM
http://www.rocketcalc.com/

mattclary
12-07-2005, 07:53 AM
H3ll, I'd settle for the "low end" Delta at $20,000. :thumbsup:

AbnRanger
12-07-2005, 12:09 PM
Only sixteen Opterons? Where's the one with all the bells and whistles? Heck, Matt's PC can run circles around this little thing....cause he has... INTEL INSIDE! :D ...oh yeah, with Hyperthreading too. Take that!

ercaxus
12-07-2005, 07:22 PM
Awesome but I have another plan: I'm gonna make a PS3 renderfarm :)

monovich
12-07-2005, 07:37 PM
meh. LW can only do 8 threads.

:hey:

ercaxus
12-07-2005, 07:51 PM
Ok I'm not a person who has extensive knowledge on this. Reply from monovich just made me wonder:
Don't these computers(and their operating systems) know how to isolate software's thread requests from the actual hardware and provide software with what it needs ( like 8 threads for lw) and divide its needs between actual resources (like 150 threads or whatever) ? If not that's very sad.

Captain Obvious
12-08-2005, 07:13 AM
Don't these computers(and their operating systems) know how to isolate software's thread requests from the actual hardware and provide software with what it needs ( like 8 threads for lw) and divide its needs between actual resources (like 150 threads or whatever) ? If not that's very sad.
Nope, they don't. If you want to use all 16 cores, you'll have to use 16 render threads. There really is no way around that.

Either way, wouldn't it be a lot cheaper to just buy a bunch of Xserve cluster nodes? For $20k, you'll get a total of about 30GHz of G5s. The $20k Delta probably gives you about 16GHz of Opterons. :p

mattclary
12-08-2005, 07:55 AM
Personally, I think a render farm is more economical, but can't you use instances of Screamernet (or something) to utilize all those cores?

badllarma
12-08-2005, 10:22 AM
We have kit at work with around 150 processors :thumbsup: I keep asking if I can borrow it for the weekend :) At 15 million they will not let it out the building though :thumbsdow And I'd need a truck to move it.:bangwall:

GregMalick
12-08-2005, 10:49 AM
kit??? :confused:

Is your kitchen at work equiped with these processors???
How is that working out for you?
Does it make expresso on demand?

or did you mean kitten???
Is your place at work so flush with cash they provide a small cat with more processors than most companies have????

But WOW! with all the heat those puppies generate - this would be greatly appreciated in Alaska! :santa:

badllarma
12-09-2005, 02:03 AM
Ok for my full time jub I work in the photomask industry (3D is part time for me)

The kit (piece of equipment, old uk term :) ) is a inspection tool called the SLF(I forgot what it's full name is). Basically it's a electron microscope with a built in class 2 laser for inspecting the data, circuits and surface of photomasks (6x6 inch glass/chrome plate with micro processor circuit burnt into it).

When you here people talk about 90nm technology this kit :) inspects that to see it's correct, there are no defects and no dirt on it. It consists of the Tool, where you load the plate and where the working laser is, it's about the size of a large wardrobe and half the size at the side of it is the main CPU for it the bit with the 150 processors running on unix.

Heat wise the cooling tube leading to the CPU unit is 30 cm in diameter. And the whole shibang is operated within a grade 1 clean room (the cleanest room in Europe in fact) the entire units air is replaced every 8 mins :thumbsup: Which is 10 x cleaner than your average hospital operating theatre.

And finally to bore every one some more :D to get an idea of scale a average size rain drop is 3000 microns in size and one of the smallest defect spec plate I worked on was .13 or a micron.

This is why when I we go to parties and people ask what I do the girl friend just tell people i'm a plumber :D

We have another piece of kit as well ( a repair tool) that allows you to fire laser beams at plates (it has a joystick and fire button as well) :thumbsup:
Not quiet Start Wars though I'm afraid. It's about half the size of a small (UK) saloon car.

mattclary
12-09-2005, 06:36 AM
Well, I see why they don't want you to borrow it over the weekend. They don't want to find beer cans, full ashtrays and the random bloke passed out in their clean room come monday morning. ;) The mental image is pretty hilarious...

krimpr
12-09-2005, 06:55 AM
mattclary: That footnote "The 7.x LightWave patch functions as a demo. Download it here" is the smartest thing I've ever seen. :thumbsup: Well, maybe not the smartest, but really very clever. Newtek should hire you; seriously. I don't know how many times I've lost a potential sale of LW to an inquiring potential customer by not being able to direct them to a trial. I'd steal your idea, but I'm web-challenged and don't know how to do it. I'm a LW enthusiast who always drops the ball for Newtek when asked "is there a demo?" Kudos to you. Now why can't Newtek do that? :confused:

badllarma
12-09-2005, 08:22 AM
Well, I see why they don't want you to borrow it over the weekend. They don't want to find beer cans, full ashtrays and the random bloke passed out in their clean room come monday morning. ;) The mental image is pretty hilarious...

sounds about right :thumbsup:

mattclary
12-09-2005, 11:19 AM
:hijack:

mattclary: That footnote "The 7.x LightWave patch functions as a demo. Download it here" is the smartest thing I've ever seen. :thumbsup: Well, maybe not the smartest, but really very clever. Newtek should hire you; seriously. I don't know how many times I've lost a potential sale of LW to an inquiring potential customer by not being able to direct them to a trial. I'd steal your idea, but I'm web-challenged and don't know how to do it. I'm a LW enthusiast who always drops the ball for Newtek when asked "is there a demo?" Kudos to you. Now why can't Newtek do that? :confused:

Thanks, Krimpr! I decided to take matters into my own hands because NewTek for some unfathomable reason doesn't want to advertise this little tidbit. I encourage EVERYBODY to do this. Just edit your signature by going to User CP (User Control Panel) in the upper left of the screen, then select Edit Signature. You can copy the text and link from my signature.

Let's start something!!!!

krimpr
12-09-2005, 01:24 PM
My lame attempt at copying someon else's good idea. The text works, but I've got a broken "here" here. For every idiotproof idea they build a better idiot.

mattclary
12-09-2005, 01:46 PM
LOL! Use the hyperlink icon (globe with a link) to insert a hyperlink. It will let you specify the text to represent the link (if desired).

Here is the full link. Right click on it and select "Copy Shortcut", then paste it in for your link location.

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/Patches/LightWave_Windows/lw75d/

krimpr
12-09-2005, 02:15 PM
Hey thanks Matt! I'm feeling pretty good about myself all of a sudden. :thumbsup:

StereoMike
12-09-2005, 04:24 PM
Making myself a dumbas$, but what is that Lightwave patch functions demo?

krimpr
12-09-2005, 04:54 PM
Hiya Mike;

Basicaly a save-limited, watermark renders version of 7.5 aka Discovery Edition. What you'd get if you removed your dongle and ran LW. Why it's not posted on the Lightwave page rather than having people have to phone in for a mail delivery cd seems kinda bizzare. But on the other hand, what do I know... I didn't even know how to imbed a link until Matt showed me. Check it out; probably will be another one once I post this.

krimpr
12-09-2005, 04:55 PM
Yup. And another one. O.k. I'll stop now.

StereoMike
12-09-2005, 05:50 PM
Ah thanks for pointing that out. I weren't able to see the sentence, now it makes sense, "the patch functions as a demo."
Not my native tongue ;)

I know the discovery edition. Perhaps I would have recognized it better as "Free LW demo" or "free LW discovery edition".
but perhaps it's just me and late night what causes the misunderstanding zzzzZZZZZ....

good night all

Mike