PDA

View Full Version : LW with AMD 2000+

Glitch2053
05-09-2003, 09:17 PM
I have an intersting problem. I cannot get Lighwave 7.5 to work with my new motherboard and processor. I have a gigabyte motherboard with an AMD 2000+ chip. I install it and when I go to run Modeler or Layout it say "Lightwave cannot intialize." If anyone has any info, it would be greatly appreciated.

Glitch

Flat
05-10-2003, 01:33 AM
Nothing to do with the Athlon, lotsa people are running LW on AMD cpus just fine, me included.
The usual suspect for this behaviour is the parallel port : it needs to be enabled and, uuh, bidirectional or something. You should go into your bios and try the different settings.

Sorry I can't be more precise, it's been a long time since LW last coughed up on me (like... 3 years :) ).

Phil, twin athlons XP running smoothly.

Lynx3d
05-10-2003, 05:37 AM
When you say new motherboard and CPU, then i hope you reinstalled windows (or at least the repair routine to get the system components up to date)

And is that a message from Lightwave or is it from winsows and LW doesn't it appear at all (in task bar etc)?

Phil, twin athlons XP running smoothly.

Same here :D

colkai
05-10-2003, 09:02 AM
The dongle can be a bit "fuzzy" when the parallel port is using EPP/ECP and such.
I know when I'm printing, the printer makes a noise! ;)
So I always set my parallel port to be NORMAL so any cross-traffic comms doesn't upset the dongle.

In the old days, High output/ECP port when printing & running LW *could* produce dongle problems.
So paranoid little me doesn't give it the chance :D

It may be your new motherboard is defaulted to say auto address, etc & EPP+ECP. If so, try setting it to NORMAL and see if it helps.

Lynx3d
05-10-2003, 09:24 AM
And in the end he has an USB dongle *lol*

colkai
05-10-2003, 09:25 AM
Can't you just see it? :D

Flat
05-10-2003, 09:42 AM
No matter.
Read here (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3079) for some gory details.

:p

Stewpot
05-10-2003, 03:30 PM
Hi Glitch2053,

I am sure I have read similar problems with LW before, and the answer seemed to be related to OpenGL.

Have you got the latest video card drivers.

Hope this helps.

Glitch2053
05-10-2003, 06:05 PM
Thanks for all your responces... unfortunately I am away from the computer that I use Lightwave on, but, I will defiantely try out all you suggestoions. :p