PDA

View Full Version : what program would be best?

JD367
12-06-2005, 07:25 PM
i just got a new dell xps all up to date and was wondering what type of programs would be best to create the human torch or colossus form x-men? i know i asked this before but now have enough money for a couple programs so any suggestions guys, and are there any sites that might be able to explain on how its done?

richgrafx
12-06-2005, 07:30 PM
before you spend your money, spend some time and try out all the demos and learning editions available. good luck on your journey.

JD367
12-06-2005, 07:32 PM
ok well would you know what would be best to start with?

Anunnaki
12-06-2005, 07:41 PM
If you order Lightwave 8.5 now, you get Vue 5 free plus free upgrade to Lightwave 9. Lightwave is currently your best bang for your buck. Most any 3D program can do what you want. It is just a matter of how you want to push your polygons around.

Vincent D. Brumback

Imatk
12-06-2005, 07:43 PM
It's kind of hard to answer your question... it's like asking, "What's the best color?"

There are things Maya will be able to do that Lightwave can't and vice-versa as well as I'm sure other packages.

So really richgrafx gave you a very good answer to your question.

Download all of the demos and see which program suits you.

But just so you know, a character like the Human Torch is most likely a combination of elements. In other words you would probably need a good grasp of both 3d and compositing skills to pull it off effectively.

mattclary
12-06-2005, 07:54 PM
Screw it, I'll go out on a limb and give you an answer:

LightWave.

Bet you're shocked at that answer, what with you being on a LightWave forum and all... ;)

Seriously though, download some demos and see for yourself. They can all get as good results as the other, it just depends on which interface or work flow you are most comfortable with.

You can download any of the 7.x patches for LightWave and they will run as a demo.

Also, don't start with the subject material you mentioned. Start simple or you will get frustrated and probably quit.

Verlon
12-06-2005, 09:04 PM
but if you get Lightwave and the free Vue, then you can render nature seens where your mutants can fight, have tea, and pose dramatically for the camera. How cool is that?

Every package as its strengths and weaknesses. I like Lightwave.

I also think that lightwave forums have the smartest and best looking people in them, so I was a natural fit :D

AbnRanger
12-06-2005, 11:40 PM
Along with a 3d app like Lightwave, you will want to buy a Compositing application such as Combustion or After Effects.
I know for sure that Autodesk Combustion comes with a morphing plugin (actually a group of plugins by RE: Vision) such as this:
http://www.revisionfx.com/rflx.htm
Here's a review of Combustion :
http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=2870&page=1

toby
12-07-2005, 02:52 AM
Well, not having an idea what you're planning, we can only offer vague suggestions. Are you planning to animate or just render stills? How good does it need to look, are you willing to work on it for a year? NTSC or HD? Print size?

If you're just starting in 3D, Lightwave is a great choice, especially over Maya. Maya is the brain-surgery of 3D, and a lot of people drop 3D while trying to learn it, thinking "3D is too much work for too little" or "I'll get back to it eventually" while Lightwave students just say "YEEEE-HAWWW!"

mattclary
12-07-2005, 06:38 AM
you will want to buy a Compositing application such as Combustion or After Effects.

Don't you think you should qualify that with "one day". Unless I'm horribly mistaken, he is new to 3D. Suggesting the purchase of a compositing app seems a little premature. :twak:

AbnRanger
12-07-2005, 12:45 PM
Don't you think you should qualify that with "one day". Unless I'm horribly mistaken, he is new to 3D. Suggesting the purchase of a compositing app seems a little premature. :twak:
True, but in college, you don't get the luxury of focusing on one program at a time. You generally have multiple programs to learn simultaneously...so I didn't think it would hurt him to learn both at the same time
You're right in that he doesn't need to try to jump in head first without taking things a step at a time. Yet, if he takes a gradual, systematic approach to learning the ropes, he probably can handle both. Just designate a few days each week to focus his efforts on one, and a few for the other.

P.S. The main reason I mentioned a Compositing program is because the type of effects he was interested in were accomplished primarily in Compositing.

mattclary
12-07-2005, 02:06 PM
P.S. The main reason I mentioned a Compositing program is because the type of effects he was interested in were accomplished primarily in Compositing.

Yep, I know, just don't want the poor guy to go out and drop a bundle and then get the sh*t scared out of him. ;)

JD367
12-07-2005, 08:14 PM
i mean i dont mind working on it for a year its just a goal i want,think of it as a preview for an upcoming movie i just wanna do a simple clip of my friend walking and bursting into flames, i was just wondering what program could specialize in this i just want opinions is all

starbase1
12-08-2005, 04:57 AM
Be aware that doing convincing humans is VERY difficult, and will take a lot of time to master. And the digital tools are only a small part of it - for example, do you know enough to model a human figure with clay? That lump of wet mud and your fingers is all you will need as far as tools go...

Starting with pixels and polygons is not much easier!

You are starting with a very ambitious goal here, and while its worth having that goal, you won't get there fast, and risk disappointment.

Try the cut down lightwave, and see if the way it works is good for you - it can take a bit of getting used to, but does reward the effort. If you like it then move on up.

Starting cold with human figures, I think maybe you should take a look at Poser. The rendering envirnment is garbage compared to lightwave, but its a good way to learn about human and animal figures, and there's a lot of cheap or free content, or good quality, to learn on. (The Daz3d Micheal 3 and Victoria 3 fugures are essential, and free)

If you do not already have a decent image editor you are familiar with, get one. Photoshop Elements gives a lot of bang for your buck, and if you do reach its limits then you have an updrade path to the full photoshop.

Nick