PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave to Solid Edge

tonypete
12-06-2005, 01:44 PM
I have a need to export a Lightwave Model into a format that can be read into Solid Edge. I am wondering if anyone out there has had any success with Polytrans for this specific thing. I know that it will go the other way (Solid Edge to Lightwave) fairly well, but have not been able to see how it does going from Lightwave into SE.

I tried to download the demo from www.okino.com but I can't get it to work, and their customer support is not responsive to calls or emails.

Thanks in advance for any tips on how to accomplish this.

Matt
12-06-2005, 04:30 PM
Not sure what import formats SolidEdge can read, but if it's anything like SolidWorks (it's pretty close) then the only format i have successfully imported was STL (look on www.flay.com for a free STL loader / saver plugin).

Forget trying to import subpatch models, it just won't work.

So long as they're no holes in your mesh (make sure you triangulate your model too) SolidEdge show be able to knit the surfaces together to form a solid.

Let us know how it goes!

Regards
Matt

tonypete
12-07-2005, 07:06 AM
Thanks for the info! I have been able to sucessfully export an STL model, now I am just waiting for our Solid Edge guy to try it out.

That link took me to a web site called http://chromecow.com that had a lot of very useful scripts and tips! Anyone who wants some good info ought to go check it out.

I'll let you know how it goes. Keep your fingers crossed!

tonypete
12-08-2005, 08:30 AM
I was sucessful in exporting the file, but apparently Solid Edge does not like .stl files either.

You know, for such a powerful program, Solid Edge is sorta finicky. I guess there is some kind of importer that our Solid Edge guys can buy, but they don't want to spend the dough.

Thanks again for the tips.