PDA

View Full Version : rail extrude help

pdrake
12-06-2005, 11:43 AM
i know this has been posted before, but for the life of me i can't think of how to search. i just hope i can explain what i'm trying to do. i need to make scrollwork (like an iron gate) and it needs to be thin at the ends and wider in the middle. isn't there a tool for this similar to rail extrude? one that has a scale function?

thanks

liquidpope
12-06-2005, 04:44 PM
Yeah, it's basically a rail extrude, but you use multiple rails.
I think it used to be separate from rail extrude, called "multiple-rail-something-or-other-blah-blah...", but I didn't find that.
I just loaded two rails and did a regular rail extrude, worked great.

toonafish
12-06-2005, 05:16 PM
mwah....better try this one:

http://www.pictrix.jp/lw/C_Worm/index.html

pdrake
12-06-2005, 05:53 PM
i tried the c worm. it was okay. not enough control and presicion. i'm too lazy to do a double rail extrude for these curves. they're kind of intricate.

i used lw with formz. they have a new tool that takes an object and bends it to a curve. kind of like spline control in layout. just select the object and then a curve and voila!

hint, hint newtek . . .

toonafish
12-06-2005, 06:09 PM
another try ;-)

http://d-creation.sblo.jp/

check out HairBlade, lots of control.

Silkrooster
12-06-2005, 10:07 PM
i tried the c worm. it was okay. not enough control and presicion. i'm too lazy to do a double rail extrude for these curves. they're kind of intricate.

i used lw with formz. they have a new tool that takes an object and bends it to a curve. kind of like spline control in layout. just select the object and then a curve and voila!

hint, hint newtek . . .
Modeler also has a spline control called spline guide, this tool can bend, scale, stretch, twist, use a weight map or even a spline in the background.
Silk

ercaxus
12-07-2005, 01:53 AM
Try Hairblade. I believe you can find the type of control that you want in that plugin. One spline for each object here, using hairblade. You don't even have to freeze it. Layout can handle hairblade in it's "custom polygon" form, just like subdivision surfaces. It would be nice if we could change it's settings in layout but hey nobody's perfect :D

pdrake
12-07-2005, 09:42 AM
that looks really nice. too bad there's not a mac version.

i'm already jumping between software, i don't want to jump between machines. :D