PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave Speed vs form•Z/EIA speed

ozon
12-05-2005, 12:17 PM
Recent large project revealed signifigant slowdowns in the file transfer from Form•Z to EIA and we are wondering if Lightwave will help speed up our workflow. Over 850meg fact files coming out of form•Z is choking EIA. Need a modeler w/ the organizational capability of •Z for architectural / retail environment purposes. . . is lightwave capable of really high polygon contents and will it's flyby creation match EIA?

many thanks
Ozon

lunarcamel
12-05-2005, 12:39 PM
IMHO modeler is terrible with high poly objects - it can do it but man can it CHUG sometimes.

toby
12-05-2005, 12:46 PM
Sounds like Lightwave's 64 bit version is just what you need! I've heard that 20 million or so polygons have been loaded into one scene, where the 32 bit version stops at about 4 mil.

Lightwave Modelers' ease of use, speed and organic modeling beats FormZ, but it's not as well suited to architectural work as FormZ. But I believe that the LW renderer can use FACT files anyway.

I've only done a little bit of Arch-viz work, so mine may not be the best opinion, you might ask the guys in the architectural forum :
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/forumdisplay.php?f=174

ingo
12-06-2005, 04:22 AM
I was an FormZ/EI user before i switched to Lightwave a few years ago (and still modell in FormZ), so all i can tell is that EI has less problems with large files than Lightwave. If you want to use your files in Lightwave you should seperate your file into different objects for easier handling. Usually my print resolution archviz renderings are around 1-2 Million polygons, which works fine in LW.

In LW the texturing is way better and easier than in EI, and with the FPrime plugin (www.worley.com) it gets even easier. Otherwise the antialiasing in EI is better and faster.

Can you post a picture of one of your large projects ? Maybe that helps a bit more for us to understand your problems.

JML
12-06-2005, 04:34 AM
and also if you plan on using LWmodeller for archi work, I would suggest to get the plugin LW_cad :
http://www.wtools3d.com/

my brother works at a archviz studio too and he said it's wonderful..(and other people love it too)

and as a side note, I work in a archviz studio too and we used formz and EI
for a long time,
since a year or two we use formz and lightwave (and fprime too) and are glad
with the result.

tektonik
12-06-2005, 10:58 AM
i use form-z for modeling (architecture) and LW for rendering

i would advise to use the 64 bit version of the software (should be ripe in a few months) and use fprime (this is important and will eventually come in 64 bits also)

i have dealt with large urban projects and for that form-z is better as a modeler for it's management of vast models but for renders it is **** slow

eias... very fast and able to deal with large datasets... more than 32 bit LW

il LW32 you can always make use of HDinstance for replicating hi-poly objects but then you lose the fprime rendering option thats why i advise you to go with the 64 bit version (much less workaround for being able to deal with megamillions poly scenes)

to recap my bad english:
so for you 32 bit lightwave is a no go
64 lightwave is go go (waiting for fprime.......)

for the modeling part... LW is a great "silly putty style" modeler, super for the quick tests of the designers but with large projects or nearing execution phase it does'nt cut it in CAD space

pixelinfected
12-06-2005, 12:56 PM
last year in october i did with lw8 an animation where i render in video pal format a scene where i have since one hundred of obj for over 8 million of poly, and i used lw8 32bit.
there aren't a limit of 4 million of poly to lw32bit. i can tell you that lw64 is faster and powerful on heavy scenes, but you can do also with lw32bit and a bit of ram (2gb for workstation where we work, and 1gb per processor on renderfarm to render it).

3dworks
12-06-2005, 02:40 PM
Recent large project revealed signifigant slowdowns in the file transfer from Form•Z to EIA and we are wondering if Lightwave will help speed up our workflow. Over 850meg fact files coming out of form•Z is choking EIA. Need a modeler w/ the organizational capability of •Z for architectural / retail environment purposes. . . is lightwave capable of really high polygon contents and will it's flyby creation match EIA?

many thanks
Ozon

hi ozon,

i'm using the FZ, EIAS and LW trio, too. all i can say is that EIAS is much less 'sensitive' to extreme high poly counts than LW. nevertheless. if you follow the good advices of ingo you should do a good render in LW, too. LW definitely needs more memory than camera in equivalent situations, which on OSX is not so critical. just remember to use the good old 'tricks' to get good GI like effects in LW (like spinning lights, occlusion map). if you have to use radiosity, use fprime as a renderer, it works very well, otherwise you will wait days for your render.

as for modeling, i don't see any other package like FZ around with that combination of CAD features coupled to 3d modeling.

but for giving you a better advice, maybe it would be useful to have a look the geometry or at least know the polycount of your project. 850MB od FACT a file sounds really like a bit too much! maybe the solution is not what render engine to use, but to model in a more efficient way? i'm doing quite complex models, but even with 3d vegetation, rarely i'm over the 2/3 million polygon limit.

cheers

markus

romrom74
12-06-2005, 04:32 PM
It happened one time that I had to render a scene wih ~8 millions polygons...if you know how to manage your ram (on a pc with /3GB) effitiently.Project i'm currently working on weights ~4 millions polys.and I can even preview/render it with fprime....efficient balance of polys/textures, compressed textures, procedural or instancing, compositing are all the keys to manage big projects.

CAClark
12-06-2005, 06:00 PM
Layout handles polys much better than modeller. If LW9 doesn't get near XSi & Maya in that respect, it's dead in the water.

Cheers!