PDA

View Full Version : Light doesn't "respect" sconce

Johnny
12-05-2005, 09:10 AM
I have a wall sconce whose outside is bevelled around to the inside, so there are polys facing the room and facing the inside where a bulb would be.

no matter where I place a spot light, I can't get the light cone to "respect" the sconce, so, if I crank the intensity or angle or distance to get something realistic, the light cone on the wall looks as though the light is shining through the sconce metal.

Any thoughts? I'm thinking faking might be necessary, but building a "tunnel" for the light seems futile since light won't respect an object already in the scene.

thanks for any suggestions!

J

Wonderpup
12-05-2005, 10:24 AM
Hi Johnny,

Do you have shadows turned on for the the light? I sometimes forget to do this and it creates similar sorts of problems.

Johnny
12-05-2005, 10:49 AM
Hi Johnny,

Do you have shadows turned on for the the light? I sometimes forget to do this and it creates similar sorts of problems.

Yeah, I do, but that doesn't have bearing on the problem; I've tried with and without.

J

lunarcamel
12-05-2005, 10:52 AM
Is that spotlight excluding the sconce object perhaps?

Johnny
12-05-2005, 11:05 AM
Is that spotlight excluding the sconce object perhaps?

d'oh! that was it..actually, both have to be on: shadows on AND the light has to "see" the object..I'd earlier turned the sconce off with respect to the light and forgotten to turn it back on.

thanks!

J