PDA

View Full Version : ScreamerNet Rendering Problem

Liberator
12-05-2005, 05:31 AM
Hi all,

It's my first attempt setting up ScreamerNet and suprise suprise, I've run into a problem.

I set it up using Matt Gorner's video tutorial and everything seems to work fine except for one thing: No matter what I set the output file type to (tga, jpeg etc), ScreamerNet will only render out .flx files:stumped:

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Any help much appreciated:)

donny
12-06-2005, 03:29 PM
Sounds like the nodes are not able to find the plugins or perhaps the config files. Check they LightWave ScreamerNet shortcut to make sure what preferences it is using. Then check the lwext8.cfg file in the config_sn and see where it is pulling the plugins from. It needs to have the mapped location and the local folder.

paulhart
12-06-2005, 04:29 PM
I tried to get consistant responses from ScreamerNet, eventually decided my time was worth more than the aggravation, and until Lightwave makes it easier, (i.e. click, activate, select project, render, done) I have opted to use Amleto. The 5 license version works fine for me, easy to setup, good feedback, excellent support via email. Take a look if you get too frustated. ( www.nodalideas.com)
Paul

Matt
12-06-2005, 05:37 PM
Yep, sounds like SN can't find your plugins.

The location of your plugins are stored in your LWEXT8.cfg file, so what you need to check are two things:

A) Your path / access rights to the folder where your config files for network rendering are stored

B) Make sure the LWEXT8.cfg file has the paths to the plugins in a 'network-aware' format, basically not pointing to your local copy (usually C:\Program Files\LightWave[8]\Plugins\ ...)

Matt

Liberator
12-07-2005, 07:28 AM
*Sigh* It's getting worse now. Now they won't render anything at all!:bangwall:

I just can't see where I'm going wrong. I don't know if this helps, but here is the text of my Node1.bat:

@echo OFF
REM Turn command echoing off by default

echo "Lightwave ScreamerNet Node 1..."
REM Just so we know which one it is!

cd C:\Program Files\LightWave [8]\Programs
REM Change to the Programs directory, this is where the LWSN.exe program resides (ScreamerNet)

REM Next, run the LWSN program, the command template looks like this: LWSN -2 -cCONFIGFILES -dCONTENT JOB# ACK#
LWSN -2 -c\\Dualopteron\ScreamerNet\config_sn -d\\Dualopteron\ScreamerNet\ \\Dualopteron\ScreamerNet\screamer_command\job1 \\Dualopteron\ScreamerNet\screamer_command\ack1

And here, an example of my LWEXT8.cfg stored in the config_sn folder:

{ Entry
Class "AnimLoaderHandler"
Name "AVI(.avi)"
Module "\\Dualopteron\ScreamerNet\Plugins\\input-output\\Avi.p"
}
{ Entry
Class "AnimLoaderHandler"
Name "DirectShow(.avi)"
Module "\\Dualopteron\ScreamerNet\Plugins\\utility\\DVView .p"

The only bit I can can think of that might be the problem is this part in the Node.bat files: cd C:\Program Files\LightWave [8]\Programs. But if I try and use another path like \Dualopteron\ScreamerNet\Programs, the Nodes won't initialize:(

Thanks for that link paulhart, I may have to go down the route of an alternative network renderer just to save my own sanity!:D

Ah well, thanks for the replies guy's, I'll give it another go after lunch and see how I get on.

Cheers

donny
12-07-2005, 09:12 AM
Check the node machines and make sure they can view the plugins without using a user name and password.

Liberator
12-07-2005, 10:21 AM
Thanks for your help guy's but I officially give up.

I downloaded Amleto (thanks to paulhart for the link) and got it up and running within 5 minutes and it works a treat :dance: . The 14 day try out period is all that I need for my current project, and after that it won't break the bank to buy it ($75 for 5 nodes, $150 for 25) so I think I'll stick with this solution.

Thanks again for all your help guys:thumbsup: