PDA

View Full Version : A Car :) :) :)

Lewis
12-04-2005, 02:39 PM
Hi !

Long time nothing from me but I Finally can show something (what a surprise - it's another car :)) of recent work.
This is Pontiac Solstice - new roadster from GMC.

cheers

UnCommonGrafx
12-04-2005, 02:56 PM
Yah, mon!!
Saw it on CSI: Miami and couldn't identify the car. Bummed me out cuz I thought it was beautiful. (And I'm a car enthusist.)
When they showed it again, it was one of the few times that I had lust for an american car companys offering. And now, you've just magnified the lust!

The puddle on the bottom shot looks like slime. :( Too thick. Or, too much of an edge to visually deal with.

richdj
12-04-2005, 03:30 PM
:cool: Very cool.. post some more pics of the interior and some wires please...

Rich

meatycheesyboy
12-04-2005, 05:00 PM
Looks great except the inset for the tail lights look like they come to an unnatural point near the bottom. It might be the angle playing tricks on my eyes though.

nthused
12-04-2005, 07:38 PM
First time I saw the Solstice I wanted one. The profile reminds me of an old Natasha Kinski poster from the '80's. A very sensual look to it.

Oh...and very nice model and rendering...

ingo
12-05-2005, 02:55 AM
Nice modelling, but a new car that looses water, do they have no quality management ?? The design of the car is odd though, a design mix of every roadster on the market.

dratsum
12-05-2005, 12:34 PM
Looks good. Did you model it from reference photos or did you have a schematic? If so, where did you get it?

Chad

Lewis
12-05-2005, 01:15 PM
Hi Guys !

Thanks for all comments :)

dratsum - i got some small schematics but only for proportions (car measures mostly) and rest was done through very big photos taken by Steve from iguana-den (thanks Steve) :).

ingo and UnCommonGrafx - LOL at liquids, I didn't come to that conclusion that this could be cars liquid - good point :). Actually I played with some settings and tested that water and didn't be sure should i leave it or not but when i set render i went to bed and i forgot to remove water so when first radiosity render was finished i leaved it for all - i don't have any particular reason why :).

meatycheesyboy - i can assure you that taillight position is RIGHT. Even company we did it for was very happy with car looks especially with deadlines we had and resources we got :)

richdj - i didn't render more interior shots but i can show wires when i get home if needed :).

BTW - It amazes me that such car in Canada/USA cost so low comparing to Europe Car prices. It's only 19,990 $ and that kind of car would cost in Europe Atleast 24-25 000 EURos :(.

Lewis
12-05-2005, 05:35 PM
Here are few wires as promised :)

toby
12-05-2005, 07:34 PM
It amazes me that such car in Canada/USA cost so low comparing to Europe Car prices
'Cheap' is a much better word to describe Pontiacs. I'm sure it's not worth anymore than that.

It is a looker though, and a sweet model! How long did it take?

loki74
12-06-2005, 01:03 AM
Great model, great render. Love the lighting and the modeling detail.

Lewis
12-06-2005, 01:19 PM
It is a looker though, and a sweet model! How long did it take?

Hmm i can't tell you exactly ('coz i didn't track time this time due tight deadlines for few cars at once) but it was about 40-45 hours of modeling streched through 10 days of work (modeling/texturing/uvmaping/surfacing)

shaol
12-07-2005, 12:06 PM
Master, I am your humble servant release your power onto ME!

what ref did you use?

P.s From what I understand there only make a very limited number of cars so get inline before there gone.

gerry_g
12-07-2005, 12:30 PM
Why are Americans so clumsy at car design, the Europeans can wipe the floor with them any day.....................now if that doesn't start one h-e-l-l of an argument nothing will :-)...........great model

Lewis
12-07-2005, 01:36 PM
shaol - i had very tiny side/front/rear blueprint (no top side) but i had car dimensions and many hi-res photos of REAL car photographed exactly for this modeling process.

gerry_g - interesting observation :).

Exception
12-07-2005, 02:36 PM
Great modeling, but I think your surfaces can use some work. I don't find your metalic car paint very convincing. It often takes multiple layers of light incidence and sight incidence dependent gradients to make a good one. Experiment some with it : )

Car prices in europe are so much higher because of taxes, most of which are environmental taxes, and rightly so...

Lewis
12-07-2005, 03:00 PM
Great modeling, but I think your surfaces can use some work. I don't find your metalic car paint very convincing. It often takes multiple layers of light incidence and sight incidence dependent gradients to make a good one. Experiment some with it : )

Hi Exception , thanks for comment :)

I do agree with you to certian level (i could tweak it more) but to say that this car paint isn't believable doesn't sound right to me :). I'm by proffesion CarBody Repair man (not sure is that right translation to english) and my father is painting cars for 30 years so from my childhood i played with car paints and i can tell you that there is thausands of different paint coats and doznes of way to apply them to car for various effects :). This car paint uses incindence angles for reflections and some for diffuse and it represnets one color i like in real life which is something between silver and light blue so i tryed to mimic that and by look at real one i can tell you tha tit's very close. Only way to tell is it 100% same is to put car in 100% SAME environment and not look one in studio renders and other at street. This is not Pontiacs deafult color, just my preference for portfolio work ;).

Problem with people commenting car paints is that they (not you particulary , that's general sense with many clients my father had and i talked to them)often don't take in mind lighting in scene nor they look at environment. In this scene everything is blueish and there is hard light on top behind camera so so there is more specual areas on car and i didn't want to have white reflections on car sinc eit is not classice studio shot with "umbrellas" above car. I agree it could take some tweaks but since it's not compostion and doesn't need to be 100% realistic i didn't mind to leave it that way :).

Everybody have his own idea how certian color should look and i can tell you that SAME color under NEON / FLUO or daylight looks different (we tested with some extra large fluo bulbs (50cm long and 20 cm wide) in our garage and while they give us much more light (Lux) they don't work well in garage where you prepare and paint cars :). Much better to work with neon light, since when you take car outside to daylight it looks very similar (not exactly same but much better than with all other bulbs we tested where color looks different to eye ;).

Thanks for comments and ideas ;). I'll try best next time , my favourite colour is Black but i wanted something different this time ;).

P.S. Next year I'm planing to do some two color paint with pearl effect on my real car so i hope i'll have some way to mimic (properly) pearl effect in LW ;).

Sky92x
12-08-2005, 06:48 AM
Great work, it really inspires me to try my hand at modeling a car... When Lw8 finally gets here! I've been sporting 5.6 for years =(

Is there any trick to "mating" the interior to the body?

Lewis
12-08-2005, 02:24 PM
Great work, it really inspires me to try my hand at modeling a car... When Lw8 finally gets here! I've been sporting 5.6 for years =(

Is there any trick to "mating" the interior to the body?

thanks man :)

You should try to model car but be prepared for LOT of work and some frustration in start ;). You can check my modeling tutorial at LWG3d (I'm still answering questions no matter it's been 3 yeas since it started ;)). But once you get it you'll be happy and much more confident in next modeling process even if it's not a car ;).

BTW you lost me in that question "trick to mating the interior" ?? Can you explain me little better what you are asking, thanks :)

Sky92x
12-11-2005, 09:16 AM
I'm curious if you model the interior seperately from the car, then combine the two objects.

Lewis
12-11-2005, 04:21 PM
Hi !

No i didn't model interior separately from exterior body of car. It would be impossible to fit that inside of car and match it properly without very specific measures and blueprints of interior. When exterior is done then i copy/paste edge points and start making interior from there poly by poly :).

Only other way how you can model interior separately and just stick it inside (without adjustments) is if you use 3D scanner for basic data capature and positions, then you just need to stay in same measures and all will fit inside but that's not how's this project done. I did work on many projects where I had 3D scan data but those are not available for showing online due strict NDAs.

cheers

Stooch
12-20-2005, 10:40 PM
Why are Americans so clumsy at car design, the Europeans can wipe the floor with them any day.....................now if that doesn't start one h-e-l-l of an argument nothing will :-)...........great model

well i agree, americans havent designed a car that got my attention in decades. well maybe the new z06, there are also some very nice designs for european market, but i guess the manufacturers figured the folks back home will setlle for the ugly domestic style, europeans are just much more refined :rolleyes: ...

VermilionCat
12-21-2005, 01:03 AM
Hi! Such a quality work! I love it! Subpatch modeling is the one I can't manage to understand but could you suggest any tips?

Lewis
12-21-2005, 02:08 PM
Hi VermilionCat !

Yes i have suggestion/tips for spline patch modeling, why not try my Online HTML Tutorial :) ? Here is link.

http://www.lwg3d.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14554&highlight=cobra+99

VermilionCat
12-21-2005, 08:08 PM
Hols ****, I've never seen any tut detailed like this! :eek:

I'm gonna look into! Thank you a bunch! :thumbsup:

Lewis
12-22-2005, 05:29 AM
Heheheh , yes it's pretty detailed (792 screengrabs) but then (3 years ago) i had more free time to do it than now :).