PDA

View Full Version : Funky Volumetric Lights

PiNs
02-15-2003, 09:53 PM
Ok. Been using LW for a little bit now, but i'm still learning. Here is my problem. Say I start a clean scene, place a spotlight and turn on volumetrics for it, then put it in sprite mode, and use a texture, ST Clouds to be exact. Looks nice using an envelope to tweak the settings and whatnot. I have everything down fine. But, I am making a little space scene with a friend, and a big effect in it involves that exact kind of light. Only thing is, the scene is on a huge scale (made this mistake from the beginning but not too difficult to workaround for me.). I have to make the height of the vol. cone to 20 Mm! But, when i render the light at this size, it turn out totally different then when on a smaller scale, say like 10 meters. If i play with the texture settings i can only get it extremely grainy, or flat, with no sign of the texture at all. Anyone know how I may be able to fix this? I'm pretty sure its because of the scale its on, but since I am already deep into the scene, I really don't want to resize everything. Any help would be much appreciated.

Alec Trevelyan
02-15-2003, 09:56 PM
I've encountered this before. Multipass it! aka compositing the separate elements together from separate renders...haven't actually tried it, but it seems like the logical thing t do ....

PiNs
02-15-2003, 10:03 PM
Hmm...thanks for such a quick reply. But, unfortunately I have not done any compositing in Lightwave as of yet. I will, although, check out some tuts on it to help me learn, seems quite useful for some things I want to try. But, as for now, does anyone have a seperate answer beside what Alec has stated? I would prefer it if there was a way where i could tweak a few settings to get it working right.

Skonk
02-16-2003, 04:36 AM
Have u scaled the ST Cloud texture up by the same ammount u had to scale the volume? if not then u would end up with the texture so small u cant see it.

James..

Alec Trevelyan
02-17-2003, 12:26 PM
*slaps himself on the forehead*

D'OH!!

Ralph Keyser
02-17-2003, 04:14 PM
Don't feel bad. I can promise you that you're not the only one to ever make that mistake :)
It's worth noting, however, that you can get very different effects out of textures at different scales, so it's worth playing around with scaling that doesn't make perfect "sense" in terms of relative sizes.