PDA

View Full Version : "Celebrity Get me Outta Here" Ident Animations!!

lardbros
12-04-2005, 11:09 AM
Not that i have been watching the show much, but did anyone else notice the animated Idents for the show before it started??

They bare a very very VERY uncanny resemblance to an animation by Victor Navone called Alien Song.

How on earth can they get away with ripping off an idea like that? Especially when it was done by such a famous animator?!?!? I mean, it's clear that the animators sat around for hours desperately trying to think of a decent idea, then it struck them "instead of trying to think of a decent idea... lets just use one that i found on the internet and rip it off completely... noone will know!!"

Un-be-bloody-lievable!! :stumped:

colkai
12-05-2005, 03:26 AM
Ya know, that's the first thing my wife said, it's been a long time since she saw that anim, but straight away she was like "how blatant can you get?".

Even down to the crushing them at the end - gorram lot of hun dan ripoff artists.

pauland
12-05-2005, 05:52 AM
If you guys were given the gig, might you not be tempted? What I'm saying really is why shouldn't they use the idea, I guess if they posted here and used the word 'homage' it wouldn't have raised an eyebrow...

colkai
12-05-2005, 07:59 AM
No - I can honestly say I wouldn't do such a blatant rip-off, heck, same concept, same music.
I also think it's actually "out of concept" to the show itself, if such a sohw can be clased to have a concept. ;)

pauland
12-05-2005, 08:17 AM
Very few people would ever have seen "Alien Song" so joe public isn't going to realise it's been done before, nor would I doubt they'd care. It's an interesting topic, since in other contexts we see this kind of thing time and time again, yet it doesn't get a comment. For example film stunts, or comedy routines - time and time again repeated and often attributable back to some particular film or show (though perhaps not as close to home as this one).

I've asked myself if I'd be put out by this if I'd done the original; I think I'd be flattered and not annoyed at all. Maybe that's just me. It would be different perhaps if it was an idea for a series or film, but as it's currently used I don't think I'd care.

Anyway, that's just conjecture, because there's little chance anything I do would ever be copied like that!

Paul

lardbros
12-05-2005, 08:41 AM
I'm not bugged (pun not intended honestly :D ) by the fact that it's copying so much as it was probably done by a reputable animation house, and if it was, then why on earth couldnt they come up with something original. Here's me slaving my guts out and thinking my brain so hard it hurts, trying to think of something new, when a company like that makes money by not even trying.

Again, the Sainsbury's "Little Bill" advert annoyed the **** out of me, simply because the animation was absolutely awful. Not forgetting the fact that the whole idea was bloody appalling too. But it amazes me that some of the most talented animators/designers etc don't get work like this ever, and crappy work is put out by the companies that do. (Not that the Celebrity Idents were really that bad, apart from some dodgy joints on one of the bugs... they were well modelled and very well textured.)

pauland
12-05-2005, 08:58 AM
I think the animation house probably thought, if it works why not use it? What might you have done instead..?

I have to say that the animated advert I really hate is that done for the co-op with the singing sheep. No disrepct to the animators, I just don't get on with it. Not sure why.

cgbloke2004
12-05-2005, 10:07 AM
Again, the Sainsbury's "Little Bill" advert annoyed the **** out of me, simply because the animation was absolutely awful. Not forgetting the fact that the whole idea was bloody appalling too. But it amazes me that some of the most talented animators/designers etc don't get work like this ever, and crappy work is put out by the companies that do. (Not that the Celebrity Idents were really that bad, apart from some dodgy joints on one of the bugs... they were well modelled and very well textured.)
i think i know who did those but i'm not going to say.
i also did something recently that led someone to ask me if i'd copied the little bill advert - even though mine went out just around the time the little bill started airing.

all i'll say is that you never really know the circumstances behind the production or forming of these pieces.

personally i dont mind the animation in the little bill ad.
i know that my animation was really ropey but all i have for my defence is that i was working alone and the time in the schedule that the client said i had, i didnt have and it was all rushed out at the very last moment, and i didnt have the rig i wanted to use and it was all very much a mess, but, given the time and the circumstances, it was all i could do to pump it out for when the client wanted, which was all they cared about.
i did the best i could in the very little real production tme i had. sure, the end result is ropey as **** and i'd like to change it, but the fact is, unless youre really lucky, you'll never really have the time you want [and need] on a production.

its possible the people behind the little bill ad had the same kind of requirements put upon them - very short notice, no run up, and they had to pump it out asap.
not enough time to do all the tweaks and fixes that you'd really like to do because the client keeps demanding other time-consuming changes regardless of the schedule that was laid down.

i dont know if you work in this kind of industry too but all too often i have zero time for fixes or for preparing so that i ould know that i can give my best whenever the client lays on the worst demands possible in the shortest amount of time.

i wouldnt really feel comfortable having an all out criticism of another industry animators work [when youre independant and you do things at your own pace - thats a different matter entirely] simply because i wasnt in their shoes on the job at the time. i simply dont know what went on behind it.

i know i have to work at what i do because itll never be perfect first time out. occassionally you'll meet the real geniuses who can pump it out perfectly either first time or very quickly. but for most people, its a hard, thankless, slog.

i would be more respectful of others work.

lardbros
12-05-2005, 11:06 AM
i think i know who did those but i'm not going to say.
i also did something recently that led someone to ask me if i'd copied the little bill advert

Don't worry, those ITV idents weren't badly done compared to the Sainsbury's one. And to be honest the Sainsbury's one won't be just the fault of the animators work, but the director's too. An advert filmed like that just should never have been commissioned in my opinion. Each to their own i guess.

On the other side of the coin though, are the E-sure ads... they used to be awful with Michael Winner, and now they have some incredible stop-motion animation in them and they are actually good.

Very fair point you made though and i will take it on board. Criticism is a part of the business, and is the only way anyone will get better. Yeah, i don't know any of the circumstances behind any ads or the work, but saying work is bad when it is, is being fair to the person who did it. I'd hate for people to comment on my work and say it's okay when it wasn't.

I do work in this industry and i have had deadlines cut in half, so the 4weeks i had, were no longer there and i (luckily) had planned for that, and got the work finished 2 weeks ahead of time. But then again, my work wasn't being aired on national TV.

All that was wrong with the little bill ad was his feet, which could have been fixed by 5 minutes in the graph editor, and that's all!! You would never see slipping feet on a decent showreel.

Rant over.

pauland
12-05-2005, 11:33 AM
Err.. I prefer the winner ads - don't like the animation! 8-0

lardbros
12-05-2005, 01:16 PM
Ok, bad example...

but the Domestos ads, and the Citroen one are just perfect.