PDA

View Full Version : Seeking silent OpenGL2.0 NVIDIA card...

simondlambert
12-04-2005, 10:00 AM
Hi folks,

For a while I've been running LW8.3 on my 3-year-old laptop, but now it's time for a mutha of a desktop to be purchased with serious horsepower. As I want to use it for music studio activity (optimised setups for both purposes through dual-boot) I am looking at an acoustically very-low-noise AMD64 dual-core machine from a bespoke builder, but finding a LW8.5/9.0-suitable graphics card that doesn't have a noisy blower can be easier said than done! They've suggested the pipe-cooled GV-N66T128VP from Giga-byte, but the GB's tech support advise me that it's only OpenGL1.5 (see http://www.giga-byte.com/VGA/Products/Products_GV-N66T128VP.htm if you're interested). This news conflicts with the NVIDIA site that says their 6600GT technology is 2.0 compliant. Hmm. Definite cause for confusion here somewhere. I don't want to buy a machine that doesn't cut the mustard!

So, the point of the rambling? Does any know of a LW-suitable graphics card that is particliarly quiet (most preferably fanless)? It's a shame the ATI cards seem to cause so many problems. They offer some otherwise perfect ones!

TIA,
Simes

mrunion
12-04-2005, 12:01 PM
Though I do not know of an answer to your quandry, methinks this is like asking for a car that gets 35 miles per gallon but has a V8 Hemi and 0-60 times of less than 5 seconds.

The additional horsepoer requried for the latest cards would seem to me to REQUIRE a fan. Maybe a sound-dampening enclosure for the entire PC would be a more lucrative search?

simondlambert
12-04-2005, 12:12 PM
Hi Matt,

I did begin by thinking that this might be an impossible quest, but the search has enllightened me a little and I've realised that many of the twin-fan turbo freon cooled refrigerator cards are for the gamers of this world that want hdr rendering at 1600x1200 and 75fps. Ok, I'm exaggerating, but LW doesn't require a gamer's card of that power, just the DirectX9 and OGL2.0 which seems to be close to the territory of the cards that merely have a well designed (albeit hefty) passive heatsink. I read a review that said the NVIDIA 7800 is 10dB quieter than their 6800, which makes sense as none of us want a pc that sounds continuously like a light aircraft at take-off!

Best regards,
Simes :thumbsup:

hstewarth
12-04-2005, 12:19 PM
Open GL 2.0 with 6600GT,

I have a 6600GT on one of my secondary machine, 6800GT is on my primary machine.

This issue may depend on which dirvers you got installed on it. Make sure that you have 8x.xx drivers.

I just notice that Lightwave does similar things between 6800GT and 6600GT, the 6600GT had older 8.2 installed and was in discovery edition mode because of dongle.

Is there a method to verify which version of OpenGL is using.

I have also try Vue 5 Infinite and it appear to use Open GL on both machines.

Also Mojoworld 2.0 indicates that its is using Open GL 2.0 on the 6600GT machine.

I would expect that some things maybe limited on the 6600GT compared to 6800GT - sincel 6800GT has more hardware.

Of course a Pentium M box with mobile 6800/7800 chip would be most silient computer for running OpenGL.

tektonik
12-04-2005, 06:11 PM
i am a bit anal :hey: when it comes to noise in my home PC

for that reason i am on AMD with antec sonata case

and i just bought a giga-byte 6600gt fanless card
i run it on a dell lcd at 1680x1050 pixels

IT IS 100% OGL 2.0 COMPLIANT

i just tested it with
http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/

great card!
go for it

DogBoy
12-05-2005, 02:32 AM
Personally I'd buy a Zalman Reserator + and put what ever card you want in. I have one on my box, and it cools my CPU, chipset and 2 7800GTX. The only noise is the normal intake fans, or the noise of the optical drive. This thing makes your PC sooooo quiet it's scary. Perfect for an audio box :thumbsup:

simondlambert
12-05-2005, 03:43 AM
Thanks guys,

Mr. Tektonik, sounds like you've experienced the very card that I am thinking of. :thumbsup: Giga-byte's tech supp person told me that it wouldn't do 2.0 with drivers, and that 1.5 was its hardware limitation. Shows how much they know! :question: Are you using their drivers or is it better to use the NVIDIA latest?

Regarding acoustics, I getting the machine built by a company who specialize in music pc's so it's Zalman everything, acoustic foam kits, etc. Magazine reviews have given them a great write-up recently. If any UK folks are intetested in my experiences with these folks then drop me a line after Christmas...

Best regards,
Simes

It's the early bird that gets the worm,
but it's the 2nd mouse that gets the cheese.

simondlambert
12-05-2005, 09:07 AM
:cursin:

I've just had an email from Giga-byte's tech support person that states categorically that their GV-N66T128VP card is only OGL1.5

Mr. Tektonic, is this precisely the card that you are using with OGL2.0?

If so, I'll drop them a line to expand their thinking a bit, then I'll race out and buy myself one! I even told them that NVIDIA say the 6600GT chips can do 2.0, but that doesn't seem to alter GB's answer. :stumped:

Still hoping,
Simes

tektonik
12-05-2005, 09:47 AM
yep it is the 6600gt fanless (agp8x) GV-N66T128VP

here are the screen shots of mine and 7800 in realtech vr test application

6600GT report (http://www.dev3d.com/transit/6600gt-opengl.jpg)

7800gtx report (http://www.dev3d.com/transit/7800-opengl.jpg)

ASK giga-byte support to test with this http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/ and explain...
i really want to know cuz i am pretty sure the card is ogl 2

kylekoch
12-05-2005, 10:30 AM
Hey all, I was/am in the same situation as I record music with sonar on my computer. I just ordered a "XFX GeForce 6600 256MB PCIe w/DVI/TV-OUT" from tigerdirect for 99.00, the write-up says OGL2 specifically, so Im hoping for the best. Im not happy at all with my ati x700. I hope this works better. Ill post after getting it in. The price cant be beat if it works
Later
kyle

Paul_Boland
12-05-2005, 11:50 AM
When I got my new Dell Pentium 4 3.4Ghz PC with 2Gb RAM and a Nvidia 6800GT grapthics card, the very first time I started to use a graphics intensive program, the fans in the case kicked in and I was stunned. It was loud!! But now, I don't even notice it. Yeah, I hear the fans kick in, but it is no longer such a loud noise as it was the first time I heard it.

LWnexgen
12-05-2005, 11:56 AM
You could go liquid cooling. There are some liquid coolers for video cards at Newegg that are compatible with nVidia's 7800 GTX if you have the cash and don't need a pro-level card. You do need the full water-cooling setup though.

mattclary
12-05-2005, 12:01 PM
:cursin:

I've just had an email from Giga-byte's tech support person that states categorically that their GV-N66T128VP card is only OGL1.5

Mr. Tektonic, is this precisely the card that you are using with OGL2.0?

If so, I'll drop them a line to expand their thinking a bit, then I'll race out and buy myself one! I even told them that NVIDIA say the 6600GT chips can do 2.0, but that doesn't seem to alter GB's answer. :stumped:

Still hoping,
Simes

Don't sweat it man, it's all nVidia chips, that's all that really matters. It will use OpenGL 2.0 with the latest drivers.

simondlambert
12-05-2005, 01:13 PM
I'm getting tantalizingly close to being confident that I'm ok here :beerchug:

The question now is: can I safely use NVIDIA's own drivers for the Giga-byte card? Or do I have to stick to the GB ones? Maybe GB have not written drivers that accommodate 2.0 yet.

Thanks guys.

mattclary
12-05-2005, 01:23 PM
I'm getting tantalizingly close to being confident that I'm ok here :beerchug:

The question now is: can I safely use NVIDIA's own drivers for the Giga-byte card? Or do I have to stick to the GB ones? Maybe GB have not written drivers that accommodate 2.0 yet.

Thanks guys.

Abso-freaking-lutely. I NEVER use 3rd party drivers, i always get the drivers directly from the nVidia website.

Lamont
12-05-2005, 02:52 PM
For anything that needs to be silent, go to: http://www.frozencpu.com

dgon64
12-05-2005, 03:29 PM
Kyle, I bought the same card from TigerDirect earlier this year for about $80 more -so great deal! I think you'll be pleased since I haven't noticed any problems yet and I agree with mattclary, install the latest drivers from the nVidia site for best results.

ACLOBO
12-05-2005, 04:36 PM
I really like my eVGA nVidia geForce 6800 (non ultra).

I have overclocked and also unlocked the disabled pipes (via RivaTuner). It runs very quiet (although the rest of my machine is pretty noisy). I also have not noticed any problems and no extra cooling solution was needed (running that nice stock fan with the pretty heat-sink on it). I have since returned the clock speeds back to normal (but have no problems running it faster with hardly a bump in the temp).

As an aside, I also just bought a SoundBlaster X-FI (extreme music) card and it is quite nice.

-adrian