PDA

View Full Version : 8.5(win32)modeler viewports freezing up

KillMe
12-03-2005, 01:39 PM
had to go down the whole reformat routine anwyay i install 8.5 again adn now every so offen when rotating the perspective viewport it freezes up =/

now am i the only ones its doing this for? running the latest drivers - tried going back to the 77.77 ones since i didn't have any probs with them before installed them and it all went wrong didn't what graphics card i was running on so it was just saying default adapter - no idea whats going had so much bad luck with my computer lately i'm begining to think i must emit some anti computer aura

Paul Brunson
12-03-2005, 02:47 PM
I've seen the same problem running a Geforce 6800 Utlra. Switching back to older Nvidia drivers seemed to help but did not get rid of the problem. It still happens though its decreased enough that when it happens I just save my model close lightwave and reopen. It occurs once or twice in a day of modeling. I haven't been able find any true solution to the problem yet.

This thread should probably find its way to the bug forum. So Newtek can keep their eye out for it.

Lewis
12-03-2005, 02:55 PM
I'm sorry to hear that but i think it's not LW related 'coz mine works fine with no such errors on both GFX cards i have (3DLabs Wildcat VP 760 and Nvidia 5950 Ultra). Ofcuorse I'm talking only about this problem and not known issues/bugs in 8.5 which are present on both of my GFX cards (that nasty new OpenGL/transparency error in modeler)

I think you sure need to install GFX card drivers somehow 'coz working on generic sure isn't helping to modeler stability :(

KillMe
12-03-2005, 03:38 PM
oh i got the latest ones to install its when i tried to install the 77.77 drivers (which worked fine before all my problems started) thats when things went wrong and it failed to detect the card as far as i could determine

anyway also jsut discovered Fprime is now running as the slowest renderer ever =/ ( this is bad since my lighting skills suck and i need it ) so something still screwy with my system and i have 2 deadline rapidly approaching i dont have time to take my computer back to the shop to get them to investigate

ercaxus
12-04-2005, 01:17 AM
I have a 6800GS Nvidia card and my modeler freezes every 10 seconds sometimes and sometimes it doesn't(but it mostly does). I didn't have this problem until I had this card. The funny thing is the card (also the same model exported as .obj file) is working fast(!) in wings3d with no problems. I tried some games (quake 4 demo and call of duty 2 demo ) just to see if the card was ok, and no problems there. I ended up playing Call of Duty till morning though, that sucked.

In modeler I can refresh the viewport by either changing the rendering type(same one works too. I don't actually need to change it to something else) or changing the view type ( same thing as the previous parenthesis). I believe this is a bug in LW, and hoping for another 8.xx update. :help:

And nvidia 7x.xx drivers don't support this card. :(

jburford
12-04-2005, 02:29 AM
I have an older FX 5500 PCI card running with the next to last drivers with 8.5 with no problems at all. Do not believe that it has to do with a bug in LW. The only problems that I see are due to huge Poly counts that my OpenGL display gets slow (to expect).

bjornkn
12-04-2005, 03:34 AM
I had similar problems with my 6800GT card, but after going back to the 78.01 drivers it works just fine in LW :)
I have seen several people claiming that the last stable version is 77.77 though..

KillMe
12-04-2005, 06:28 AM
yeah changing the rendering type fixes the for me too - also it doesn't lock up in in wireframe mode so i'm having to work in wireframe and jsut switching to textured for afew secs to check things are working =/

think i will have to try abit harder with the 77.77 drivers though as i cant keep working like this