PDA

View Full Version : Copying UV's from one object to another

spec24
12-03-2005, 01:01 PM
Is it possible to copy UV's from one identical object to another? If all the points are exactly the same? I found I could do it (for any vertex map) by copying and pasting one object into another, and then merging points, then deleting one of the objects polys. Problem is - the UV's are set up nicely in one object and when I do the merge they "reconnect" to each other when before they were nicely seperate. Any ideas?

jpaugh78
12-03-2005, 01:50 PM
Have you tried unwelding the points on the UV map before doing the merge? That may solve your problem.

spec24
12-03-2005, 01:54 PM
Have you tried unwelding the points on the UV map before doing the merge? That may solve your problem.

thanks jpaugh - but didn't work. Still same problem.

IZZE
12-14-2005, 11:31 PM
I'm going to jump in here. Add a few images as well.

Here is the (example) UV 1 from obj 1
http://www.bobbybruceband.com/chris/uv2.jpg

here is the (example) UV 2 from the same obj with a new UV. (same point order)
http://www.bobbybruceband.com/chris/auv.jpg

I copy one object into another. merge points, unify poly's. then get the results (having different UV map name's of course)

http://www.bobbybruceband.com/chris/uvmerge.jpg

I understand that UV 1 wants to merge points with UV 2, but this will mess up my texture. I have found that this is perfectly reasonable if you want to combine a weight map from one object with a texture map for the same object, but I cannot find out how to combine one UV map from one object to another Object and still preserve the existing UV map.

BazC
12-15-2005, 01:47 AM
It's quite possible that I'm being stupid and missing something but why copy the UVs? If the objects have identical verts why not just duplicate the UV'd object?

IZZE
12-15-2005, 09:14 AM
BazC: I dont understand your question. here is what I want to do.

I want to have the UV1. (spherical) so I can have a UV that is easy to view, for painting my texture map. I also want to have UV2 for my bump map. UV2 allows for less stretching which works very well for my bump map. Here is my workflow to help

1. create object in lightwave
2. create UV in lightwave (spherical)
3. create texture / displacement map in zbrush
4. then setup AUV Tiles in zbrush on my completed model for bump map
5. export the two objects since zbrush only allows you to have one UV per model.

I then need to combine the two UV's in lightwave somehow. Spherical and AUV. Spherical for my texture / displacement, AUV for my bump map.

Rory_L
12-15-2005, 09:38 PM
Use the UVInfector plugin. Works a treat. Even copes with different topology. It`ll transfer UV data from your low poly model to a similar high poly version. Works on proximity, so in your case there`ll be no errors at all, as your two models have identical topology. THe more unlike the two objects are the more errors will creep in, but I`ve been surprised how tolerant this plugin is!

Cheers,

R

Nitisara
12-16-2005, 01:24 AM
Is it possible to copy UV's from one identical object to another? Any ideas?
When I got similar problem, I made this plugin:
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=40599

BazC
12-16-2005, 02:04 AM
Ah! sorry, I didn't realise you were working with two sets of UVs. - Baz

sculptactive
12-17-2005, 10:08 AM
By UnWelding the UV before merging two identical objects I do not get the problem of messed up UV but I do get these red points along the seam at various points.

They seem to be points that have not merged, though merging them individualy to 1 point does not resolve the red. Can someone enlighten me. Thanks

warmiak
12-20-2005, 03:23 PM
These "red points" are discontinuous UVs.

This is normal and in fact that's the way to unwrap objects that share vertices in 3d space yet have the same vertices at different locations in you UV space.

IZZE
12-20-2005, 11:16 PM
Thanks for the plugs. I ended up manually fixing my UV after the merge, but I saved these plugs for the next time. Thanks.

sculptactive
12-21-2005, 02:00 PM
warmiak

Thanks for the info. Glad to hear they are normal.

I would not want to have done lots more work on the object to find the red points have caused problems and I needed to start again.