PDA

View Full Version : Heroism (or "why I love OK")

Hiraghm
05-09-2003, 11:51 AM
Four years ago, Moore, Oklahoma (a suburb of OKCity,) was hit by a series of tornadoes on May 3rd. 44 people died. I always remember it, because of the story of a woman, holding onto her son who was holding on to a guardrail, who said, "I love you son" and let go of him, sacrificing herself so he might survive.

Last night, tornadoes once again ripped through Moore. Listening to WKY radio this morning, I heard the following story:

A man was in an ambulance, in critical condition, on his way to the hospital. The attendant was speaking with him, and he kept repeating that he didn't mind "going", because he had saved somebody.

The man was 5'10" tall, and about 300 lbs. Apparently, when he saw the tornado approaching, he interposed himself between the flying debris and a little neighborhood girl, allowing it to hit him repeatedly in the back, until he could no longer remain standing. The little girl was unharmed.

It's stories like these that remind me why I love living here.

colkai
05-10-2003, 09:08 AM
It isn't just OK where this sort of thing happens.
It occurs sporadically all over the world.

The sad fact is, it *only* occurs sporadically, when these things happen, it shows the human race at its finest.

Definition of a hero? Someone who sacrifices themselves for just one person, in the dark, where no one sees, and no-one knows, because it was the "right" thing to do.

Call me soppy, but that sort of bravery always chokes me.

Alas, the scales for our atrocities far outweigh these bright sparks of light. What a world we would live in if it was the other way around!!

Hiraghm
05-10-2003, 06:38 PM
I disagree with the sacrifice themself part. Heroism can involve years of dedication and work without credit or reward. And I've lived in lots of places, and in none of them was that attitude commonplace....

After Thursday's tornadoes, the Oklahoman sent out special grocery sacks for people to fill and leave by their mailbox for the postman to help those hit by the Moore tornadoes.

This morning, I'm outside assessing the damage to my neighborhood, and I noticed, even though our suburb had just been through our own tornado, the grocery bags were sitting down by the mailboxes at the curb.

I wasn't born here, but I'm glad the circumstances of my life brought me here.

colkai
05-11-2003, 03:23 AM
Of course,
there is the flip-side to this.
Saw a program on Tornados, some guys house had been trashed, and I mean, down to the concrete standings, nothing left. This was the FIFTH time it had happened, but he was going to stay there. I mean, I think *I* would seriously consider building a house elsewhere! :D

Rei
05-11-2003, 03:28 AM
One thing I like about America, the community spirit that is found all over the place. That people will go and help someone that lives near them.

Same thing happens in England too, people have there houses flooded for 4 years in a row, and then just dont belive it could happen again. OH NO its got flooded, duh get a new house. (slightly different its humans fault for the floods, i dont think its anyones fault for the tornados)