PDA

View Full Version : LW and After Effects

p_micah
12-01-2005, 10:37 AM
couldn't see any comments on the forum about AE and LW. i use them both now at work and can't seem to get the RPF cameras in AE to work (not getting any results as far as depth, surface/object ID. etc. from the LW RPF exporter). i very well could be exporting something incorrectly, but . . .

so does any one know if these two softwares mix at all in this sense, or does AE not accept LW RPF info.?

also, do any compositing softwares take LW RPF or other exported files that hold depth info.?

please fill me in if you know anything,
thanks a million!

m.

Mylenium
12-01-2005, 11:25 AM
couldn't see any comments on the forum about AE and LW. i use them both now at work and can't seem to get the RPF cameras in AE to work (not getting any results as far as depth, surface/object ID. etc. from the LW RPF exporter). i very well could be exporting something incorrectly, but . . .

so does any one know if these two softwares mix at all in this sense, or does AE not accept LW RPF info.?

also, do any compositing softwares take LW RPF or other exported files that hold depth info.?

please fill me in if you know anything,
thanks a million!

m.

After Effects only works smoothly with RPFs from MAX and Maya. There are people who are having success bringing over stuff from LW, but this seems to vary and depend on a lot of unpredictable factors. If you really only need depth and object ID, you can always try to use layered PSDs.

Mylenium

jds580s
12-01-2005, 11:31 AM
I've had great luck with TransMotion Utility Pack
http://www.ats-3d.com/transmot/

It's about $25 but money well spent if you go between AE and LW a lot.

That won't get you the depth info but it will take care of the camera movement.

p_micah
12-01-2005, 11:33 AM
thanks for the PSD idea, that works for stills, but not motion so well. sux that AE doesn't support LW RFP info. i i've been thinking about switching to max or maya or C4D, just for the added ease of post production.

thanks again.

m.

monovich
12-01-2005, 01:19 PM
you should really check out the Transmotion pack as mentioned. the POIcam plugin in particular offeres perfect integration of the camera between LW and AE, and is very very fast to use.

we very tight integration between LW and AE in our studio. I think it would be completely unnecessary to switch to Cinema when you can already get what you want with a $25 plugin. you just have to take the time to learn it, which should be pretty quick if you have a good technical mind.

-sf

monovich
12-01-2005, 01:20 PM
also, make sure you are using the RLA/RPF output from the Image Processing tab to save your render files, not the one in the Render Options box, the one in Render Options doesn't work at all, but the other one does.

-sf

p_micah
12-01-2005, 01:47 PM
cool, thanks, i feel like i've tried it all, but hadn't had success. i didn't think that it was really supported, and it kinda seems that way. does anyone know some good (cheap) plug-ins for getting DOF that are better/faster than LW's DOF and Digital Confusion?

toby
12-01-2005, 03:06 PM
X-Dof is pretty freakin' amazing
http://www.evasion3d.com/xd_lw_gallery.html

wp_capozzi
12-01-2005, 06:45 PM
Hello,

I didn't see it mentioned, After Effects Production Bundle can use files with z-depth info, where the standard version can't. It is used in one of the 3D Channel options - fog, depth, objID, etc.

I use Transmotion to transfer motions and settings between Lightwave and After Effects with great results. Highly recommended plug-in.

Regards,
Bill C.

pixel pusher
12-04-2005, 12:55 PM
my 2 cents- POI cam is totally worth it! (still trying to master it but the camera match is pretty great!)

I just wanted to ask folks using LW and AE about using RPF files in AE. specifically- once I get my RPF sequence into AE what are the steps to using the DOF info in AE. I'm hoping to have more control over DOF in AE instead of relying on LW all the time. Any advice, links or tutorials you know of?

2 more cents - I've tried LW camera DOF -(longer renders/not the smoothest looking blurs) Digital Confusion - (pretty fast/nice renders, but - inconsistent. I often get weird holes or banding) xDOF - (not the fastest but great looking renders - this plug-in is the best EXCEPT it doesn't really work with transparent objects - its only drawback)

ScottSullivan
12-04-2005, 06:49 PM
You do have a ton of extra control in AE (plus you don't have to re-render everything to do a quick DOF change).

There's a great tutorial here:

http://www.creativemac.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=22923

This is where I learned much of what I know about z-depth and exporting from the Image Filter instead of the Render Options. You can check off what information you want included in the Z-depth and once in AE, can fool around with Depth of Field, Depth Mattes, Depth Fog and much more.

I find that the Extended RPF Exporter (under Add Image Filter) gives you the most control.

Once you're in AE, you import the sequence, then access the z-depth info under Effects>3D Channel. There you can access all of the above.

Cheers. Really, check out the tutorial above.

Scott

cgbloke2004
12-04-2005, 08:06 PM
i found x-dof problematic when animating, esp on large projects..

i used worley labs confusion on some projects a while back and that seemed very useful [saved dof info to alpha for example and used that info in AE]

pixel pusher
12-04-2005, 11:14 PM
Scott -

thanks for the link - haven't gone through the tutorial yet (there's another that follows this one) but it looks like it's exactly what I'm looking for.

As for worley labs confusion - I'm not familiar with it. Is this part of FPrime? (which I've heard of but I'm not exactly sure what it is)

Rich
12-04-2005, 11:17 PM
Another alternative for getting DOF results in AE is a plugin called Lenscare (http://www.frischluft.com/lenscare/description.php)

I also export my LW sequences using Extended RLA Export in the Image Processing Tab. There is a free demo of Lenscare and I think it gives better results than the 3d Channel DOF that comes with the AE Professional version.

pixelinfected
12-05-2005, 03:31 AM
the thing that after effects or combustion work fine only with max rpf or rla is a metropolitan legend!
:tsktsk:

you must know only to export correctly from lw.
disable adaptive sampling and all work fine in after effects and combustion.
:lwicon: :thumbsup:

cgbloke2004
12-05-2005, 06:16 AM
As for worley labs confusion - I'm not familiar with it. Is this part of FPrime? (which I've heard of but I'm not exactly sure what it is)
no, it was part of the polk collection.
http://www.worley.com/polk/polk_confusion.html

monovich
12-05-2005, 06:26 PM
it should be mentioned that FPrime's DOF is great.

Also, I've used image sequences and depth sequences and achieved some GREAT d.o.f. in Photoshop with the Lens Blur plugin. It's more convoluted, but has options none of the others do.

-sf

fronzel
02-15-2007, 11:42 AM
this is how you do it.

1. Bake all keyframes for anything you want to export to AE. nothing that exports. camera or nulls or lights can be parented. So all keyframes baked with world coridinates.

point lights make great null objects. spot lights can give you orientation info in LW so it makes it easier to slap a AE layer onto a flat surface. baking a lights movment and rotation keyframes will give you an animated light in AE.

2. delete all objects in a copy of the scene leave only lights and camera.

3. open lights and cameras scene in C4D. render rpf sequence. save out AE project from C4D.

4. after installing the c4d AE plugin import your saved AE project file from C4D
this will give you the Lights and camera positions and movment. convert the RPF camera from the RPF sequence.

5. make sure the focal length of the original LW camera and your RPF camera match.

thats basically it. this works way better that anything else I've tried.

jin choung
02-18-2007, 06:11 AM
regarding getting camera and nulls from lw to after effects, it's a shame that it's not as easy as with maya... after effects simply opens a maya .ma file and brings in camera and nulls!

it's a bit finicky though i haven't tried version 7s implementation... but it is mighty easy.

is that POI cam still requiring copying and pasting text info out of notepad?

at work, i use deep exploration to take a lw camera into maya, and then just load that maya scene into after effects... you have to change a setting in the camera settings to get things to line up but it works for me.

jin

Bog
02-18-2007, 07:04 AM
All the RPF data from LW to AE is heavily compressed dimensionally - for example, if you're using the Z buffer to drive Alpha, to fade an object out over it's distance from the viewplane, the range is something like -.001 to +.001 - I guess this must be a glitch in LW's RPF exporter, if the Other Packages are working alright.

It's very much a trial-and-error thing, which is a shame given how well LW and AE work in other regards, but if you look to the notion that your range-settings for given RPF values are much, much narrower (generally to narrow to comfortably use the sliders), then you should be able to make some headway.

Sorry I can't offer much more help.

jin choung
02-19-2007, 12:31 PM
actually, it's the same thing in maya.... ridiculous that either our 3d apps or after effects is so miscalibrated to the other... it took me forever to figure out what was going on.

jin

p.s. oh, but you can re-configure the sliders to conform to a new range of values (such as -.001 to .001)... you right click on the slider and edit it i think...

Bog
02-19-2007, 12:54 PM
Or could it be that the 3D apps are fine, and Maya used gonzo defaults for it's WPF interpolation? Hummmm.... yeah, let's blame Adobe ;)